Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Gear, Food, and Survival Topics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2006, 09:56 PM   #21
Hakuna Matada

Something I did last summer to help condition was to wear an empty backpack on my walk. After a ways I would pass an area with large flat rocks. I'd put one in my backpack wrapped in a towel for comfort. I would then continue my walk that included hills and stairs with the added weight on my back. It not only helped my legs but also my arms, shoulders and back. I figured whatever I carried in my pack while hiking would be lighter than my conditioning walks. After I got home I added the rock to a stone wall I was building. I could see myself getting stronger.
Hakuna Matada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 09:44 AM   #22
Little Rickie

I carry 2 or 3 plastic milk bottle gallons filled with water. If I get tired I dump the water. That is addition to the 2 liters of water I carry to drink.

If I'm inside I just use 2 gallons, the 2 gallons along with my pack is 20 lbs.

"One touch of nature makes the whole world kin."

William Shakespeare
Little Rickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 09:45 AM   #23
Little Rickie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin
I can change!
I hope we all can.

"One touch of nature makes the whole world kin."

William Shakespeare
Little Rickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 04:33 PM   #24
dudenchikn

Proteins/training

For protein shakes, I'd recommend Muscle Milk. For protein, when working out to gain lean muscle mass, which is what you want, not just to become some bohemoth fat weight lifter that has no endurance, you need to take your body weight and get at least 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight, that's standard on the average day just for repair. When your working to gain lean muscle mass, you need to get at least 60-80 grams more than usual in order to build it as well as the absolute most important part of all of it, DRINK LOTS OF WATER!!!! The extra protein causes alot of added work for your liver and kidneys, if you notice that you start getting diarhea or pains in your side etc... slow down on the protein and drink more water, your body needs to adjust to the amounts you give it. My own personal experience with a strict diet/weightlifting/hiking was this, in 4 months 80lbs on my bench, and close to 200lbs on my deadlifts. I had never less than 300 grams of protein/day, always between 3-4000 calories, and on days of hiking 7 or 8 hours, you'll burn almost 5000. Make sure you keep your meats lean, i.e. tunafish, lots of chicken breast, go easy on the pastas and breads, they will just make you fat. With my diet I went from 162lbs at 13% body fat, to 189lbs at 9% body fat. Keep track of your progress on fitday. For weights, I use a 3 day cycle with weekends off to do more cardio. Chest/bi's, back/tri's, shoulder's/legs, then chest/bi's, back/tri's. Legs shouldn't be done more than 1-2 days per week as they are the largest/hardest muscles to repair. I saw good results with this routine as well as others. Good luck to ya dude. The wife is a nutritionist, if you'd like her to get a diet together for you I'm sure she'd be glad to. Take care
dudenchikn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 04:56 PM   #25
Kevin
**BANNED**

Wow, thanks again . I agree on the amout of exercise - I'll probably alternate what muscle groups I work on. Plan for now is to start slow to get into the routine and then see how I feel when winter hits. Then mix my exercising into my winter hiking routine. Probably 2 days doing legs for 30-60 minutes (not continuous, a brief break at the halfway point), then upper body on the inbetween day. As I said originally, I want to focus on leg strength, but as others have pointed out I shouldn't ignore the upper body entirely. Could help with my (currently poor) backpacking endurance too.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 08:18 PM   #26
eddogg12
...46 or Bust!

Kevin, what Dudenchikn said is on the money. To put on lean mass your protein intake does have to be through the roof. The flip side of that is the money spent. buying suppliments or even just Whey Protein powder alone can get really pricey. If you figure at least 1 gram of protein per 1lb of weight. for example.......

a 2lb. container of EAS protein contains roughly 30 servings. Each serving (1 scoop) yields 23 grams on protein. With that said, approx. 690 Grams of protein in the total container. Divide that by the total body weight, we'll say in this case 175lb. person. The outcome.....the $14 dollar 2lb. container lasts close to 4 days. That pretty much means your gonna need 2 container's a week. Approx $28.00 plus tax. In a month you spent $112 just on protein. not counting any other suppliment your taking. (Vitamins, Fat-burning Suppliments, Creatine, Etc.) Like Dudenchikn said, 1grm per 1lb at least,possibly more, post workout recovery shakes on lift days. things like that.

...Another thing to remember is, you don't build muscles in the gym. So make sure you getting plenty of rest, don't overdue it. 1 hour workout (excluding cardio) and get out. make sure you get plenty of sleep too.
eddogg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 10:15 PM   #27
dudenchikn

Excellent point

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddogg12
Kevin, what Dudenchikn said is on the money. To put on lean mass your protein intake does have to be through the roof. The flip side of that is the money spent. buying suppliments or even just Whey Protein powder alone can get really pricey. If you figure at least 1 gram of protein per 1lb of weight. for example.......

a 2lb. container of EAS protein contains roughly 30 servings. Each serving (1 scoop) yields 23 grams on protein. With that said, approx. 690 Grams of protein in the total container. Divide that by the total body weight, we'll say in this case 175lb. person. The outcome.....the $14 dollar 2lb. container lasts close to 4 days. That pretty much means your gonna need 2 container's a week. Approx $28.00 plus tax. In a month you spent $112 just on protein. not counting any other suppliment your taking. (Vitamins, Fat-burning Suppliments, Creatine, Etc.) Like Dudenchikn said, 1grm per 1lb at least,possibly more, post workout recovery shakes on lift days. things like that.

...Another thing to remember is, you don't build muscles in the gym. So make sure you getting plenty of rest, don't overdue it. 1 hour workout (excluding cardio) and get out. make sure you get plenty of sleep too.
Rest and eating is THE most important part of any regimen. Skipping sleep or a meal is worse than missing a day of working out. I myself stay away from creatine, tis your preference, but it seems to add a lot of water weight. Example, When I was 185lbs, but deadlifting 450 and benching 280, I got tired going up hill even on a 10 mile hike. I'm 170 now, but still tons left after 20 miles and much quicker on the uphill. Isopure zerocarb is my favorite protein whey protein. A large jug will cost you like 60 bucks on sale, but they claim that they have the purest, easiest absorbed protein on the market. Lemme explain that. People take whey protein in shakes etc... because it is easily absorbed as it has already been digested. Eating the protein is better, but it's hard to eat enough. I.e. a chicken breast has around 40-50 grams, a burger has like 40 grams, a can of tuna has like 35, but everyone I know seems to think they get stronger from eating the red meat like Hawkman says. You should plan at least 5 meals per day, eating every 3 hours or so, and plenty of fiber and tons of water. Good luck bro... Here is a good site for protein/supplements. Cheapest place on the net...

http://www.saveonsupplements.com/isopure1.html
dudenchikn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 12:08 PM   #28
Rookie
Dream Farmer

Hey Kev-
Nice Thread ! Good Stuff !
I hope we can keep up with you on the Great Range next June.
Maybe Me and Little Rickie can take turns riding in your pack !
Old 10-14-2016, 03:27 AM   #29
Begather

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddogg12 View Post

What are the best fat burning food so far?
Begather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 06:02 PM   #30
JerseyHighlander

Those protein shakes are one of the biggest wastes of money known to mankind & totally unnecessary. Eat a good, diverse diet. Lots of dark leafy greens, preferably raw or lightly steamed, will do more for you than virtually anything GNC sells. Good old brown rice & beans also. Remember, cows are full of protein & all they eat is grass.
JerseyHighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:01 PM   #31
All Downhill From Here
Longstrider

Earlier this year when I was hitting the gym 3x a week, I was taking creatine in the mornings and BCAAs after the workout, and saw definite muscle mass increases along with gratifying increases in strength. Nowadays I'm doing 2-3 times a week but no supplemental protein (I'm broke) and the endurance is still there, but the raw muscle power (and size) isn't anymore.
http://edthesmokebeard.com/
All Downhill From Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 05:44 PM   #32
fvrwld

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyHighlander View Post
Those protein shakes are one of the biggest wastes of money known to mankind & totally unnecessary. Eat a good, diverse diet. Lots of dark leafy greens, preferably raw or lightly steamed, will do more for you than virtually anything GNC sells. Good old brown rice & beans also. Remember, cows are full of protein & all they eat is grass.
Cows have 4 stomachs and chew a lot of what they take in twice (chewing their cud) in order to suck every last nutrient out of that nutrient-poor grass. They also spend 6-8 hours per day eating.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:19 PM   #33
Neil
Admin

I think basic whey protein (not the fancy stuff with all sorts of vitamins and difficult to pronounce nutriceuticals) and canned tuna are the cheapest sources of protein available.

I suspect other very inexpensive sources would be tofu and eggs.
I usually drink my breakfast in the car when I go hiking and it usually consists of a whey protein shake with peanut butter, banana, baby spinach and table sugar.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:14 AM   #34
TCD

When my activity level and diet over a few days tells me I need more protein, I usually use eggs. As Neil points out, they are inexpensive. And of the "natural" unprocessed commonly available foods, eggs have the highest "quality" protein. (In nutrition, protein "quality" is the measure off how well the amino acid balance in the protein matches the balance of essential amino acids required by your body.) So best protein, cheap, natural and local - can't beat eggs!

(And Val is right - not only do cows have a different digestive system, their body chemistry is actually qualitatively different - they can digest and get nutrition from cellulose, whereas humans get nothing at all from eating cellulose.)
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote