Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2016, 10:37 AM   #1
saabrian

Crane ladder

I understand Crane Mountain is a loop and that there is a ladder somewhere on the trail. Is there a way to the summit that avoids the ladder? Thanks.
Completed: Chester Challenge, Tupper Lake Triad
saabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 06:16 PM   #2
dundee

Yes, go to Crane Mt. Pond first and then go to the summit from there.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 06:16 PM   #3
fvrwld

Yes, you can if you go via Crane Mountain Pond. The map on the bottom of THIS PAGE shows how.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:39 PM   #4
Makwa

Here's what the ladder looks like in case you're wondering. The pic looks way worse than it is in person.

Makwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:55 AM   #5
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Are you trying to avoid the ladder because you'll have a dog with you? Or you just don't like (or can't) climb ladders?
MDB and I brought our mutt Max with us when we did the Crane Mt loop. Max was very agile and sure footed then, but he couldn't climb the ladder. Nor could he negotiate the rocks surrounding it. I had to do a fireman's carry to get him from him stuck on the rocks position. He was 105 lbs at the time, and I was a bit stronger than I am today.
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:58 AM   #6
saabrian

I had a dodgy ankle and am not a fan of heights.
Completed: Chester Challenge, Tupper Lake Triad
saabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 06:08 PM   #7
skillzman1

A 'dodgy ankle' and Crane Mt may not be a good mix. The trail is quite rocky and steep. Taking the loop to the pond and around the back of the peak will add quite a bit of climbing to summit. I personally only went that route once and decided not to do it again. I climb this mountain probably 8-10 times a year.

My wife was scared of the idea of the ladders until she climbed it with me last year. She did fine and she really doesn't like heights either.
It's a beautiful mountain and the trip to the pond is worth it alone. If you do go, enjoy! Perhaps I will see you there, I likely will climb it Saturday morning again.
-Matt
skillzman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:40 PM   #8
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabrian View Post
I had a dodgy ankle and am not a fan of heights.
The day that MDB, Max our mutt, and I climbed Crane, we looped from the ladder side, over the top, then down the back to the pond and down. On the way down, MDB slipped on some smooth slab that was covered with pine needles. She slip about 30 feet before she tumbled into the base of a large white pine. She jammed her pinky toe pretty good, eventually losing that toe nail. Also had an impressive bruise on the hip and a heck of a charlie horse in her quad. Back at the car, I had to lift Max into my Element, his muscles were shot. For the next three days, I had to carry him out of the house and down the porch stairs, and then back in again. My daughter said we "broke" him.

I've had many ankle sprains in my time, but if your ankle is "dodgy" I would think twice...66% of my party was injured during our day trip!!
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 12:26 PM   #9
MrKawfey

If my memory is correct, the longer "back side" route up and down that avoids the ladder is probably more dangerous for a bad ankle. I remember large areas that had off camber side slopes that really required you to keep good balanced footing to avoid sliding.

I think you might be better facing the heights issue going up the front. The ladder really isn't that big or scary when you see it.
MrKawfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:25 PM   #10
skillzman1

MrKawfey is correct. I have been down the back side many times, a few times while it was iced over in early spring. Definitely a steeper and longer climb up, and not fun for a questionable ankle. This year has been very dry and the non rocky sections of the trail, such as the back side, are very loose dry soil making for unsure footing in spots.
skillzman1 is offline   Reply With Quote