Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What is the best way to keep black flies away?
Standard DEET spray (Deep woods off, etc.) 56 24.45%
DEET lotion/cream 7 3.06%
100% DEET solution 65 28.38%
Bye-Bye Black Fly 8 3.49%
Citronella oil 9 3.93%
Skin oils (Skin-so-soft, etc.) 6 2.62%
Eat a lot of garlic 7 3.06%
I stay inside. 16 6.99%
Don't use anything, I'm a blood donor! 15 6.55%
Other (please explain!) 40 17.47%
Voters: 229. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-16-2008, 12:34 PM   #1
Budnick11

Black Fly Repellants

It is usually at this time of year where our mental institutions are packed with what doctors like to call "black fly fever." This affliction has a high rate of incidence in the Adirondacks and is caused by the incessant tendency of black flies to fly at your ears, up your sleeves, and in your nose to try and suck your blood. Symptoms included frustrated grunting, constant itching, and wildly swinging one's arms in a circle around the head. There is no vaccination for black fly fever, and the only proven treatment for the affliction is remain in a walled or screened enclosure for an extended period of time with a bottle of afterbite or calamine lotion. Hard liquor has also proven effective in some cases.

I know there has been a lot of discussion on this forum about the topic. What does everyone find is the best way to keep those nasty little critters away?
Budnick11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 01:01 PM   #2
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

After watching deet take paint off my coffee mug, destroy my friends hat, and melt another friend's sunglasses, I try not to use the stuff. It also gives me some respiratory problems. One of the best none deet bug repents I've used is Repel's Lemon Eucalyptus. It doesn't last as long as deet, but keeps the black flies and mosquitoes at bay.

I should note that the stuff does nothing for deer flies.

http://community.webshots.com/user/lumberzac
lumberzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 01:56 PM   #3
Hobbitling
spring fever

what about head nets and other clothing/barrier strategies.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:15 PM   #4
sp_nyp
Mad Scientist

I wear a head net to keep the blackflies from swarming my immediate face is all I use.

Occasionally I will put some mud on my hands - that tends to keep them from mangling my hands whilst I fish

Long pants & sleeves as well.

----------------

My wife uses a dryer sheet tucked in her hat and she says it works fairly well.
sp_nyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 02:25 PM   #5
Budnick11

I was going to include head nets as an option, but didn't because most people won't use them during active sports such as hiking, climbing, etc.

Also some people use head nets in combination with chemical repellents which would make the poll itself a lot more complicated.

So I guess a more appropriate title for the poll would have been: "What is the best black fly REPELLENT"
Old 05-16-2008, 04:34 PM   #6
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

I hike with my mouth open and inhale deeply.

Sucks em right out of the air and they don't swarm on me.

Plus I don't have to stop for snacks or protein.

hawk
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 05:13 PM   #7
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Headnet, cotton gloves, long sleave shirt and pants tucked into socks.

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 05:15 PM   #8
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
I hike with my mouth open and inhale deeply.

Sucks em right out of the air and they don't swarm on me.

Plus I don't have to stop for snacks or protein.

hawk
Hawk Vittles newest...Black Fly Pie?

or maybe Black Flyed Bass?

the posibilities are endless....Yummie!

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 05:57 PM   #9
ADKHUNTER

I don't mind the headnet over a ball cap to keep it out off my face. I lived in the thing the spring I started building my camp so I got used to it. I stick with the deet otherwise, even though it melts stuff my skin hasn't peeled yet. I should add that I do tend to stay at home and get projects there done from Mothers Day to Fathers Day.

ED
ADKHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 06:00 PM   #10
ADKHUNTER

I'm still hoping to hear some feedback on the Thermocell bug repeller. Haven't heard any first hand reports on its effectiveness on the BF's.
ADKHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 07:11 PM   #11
Bill I.

I used to use a 29% DEET repellent in spray form, and I found that when applied directly to the black flies it was more than a repellent--it was an effective pesticide.

I switched to carrying little bottles of a DEET lotion, and I only apply it in small amounts when I really need it. Otherwise, I hike in long-sleeved clothing, seek out breezy campsites, and generally grin and bear it. If I expect the bugs are really going to be bad, I get the canoe out and go to some windy lake. That's what I will be doing on Memorial Day weekend. Or I just plan to walk all day, which was what I did yesterday.

In my opinion, for the last 3 or 4 years the black flies have not been nearly as bad as the mosquitoes. But this year seems to be different so far. There were a lot of black specks in yesterday's pictures! Thank goodness for Photoshop.
Bill I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 07:45 PM   #12
Wldrns

I pretty much just keep moving. They don't bother me as long as I am in motion. The rough part is stopping to set up camp, or especially to prepare a meal. Only then do I splash on a little DEET, or Old Tyme Woodsman. OTW doesn't last long, but it does tend to keep them at bay and not buzzing within an invisible 5 feet or so. As a bonus it smells, a lot.
Old 05-17-2008, 07:45 AM   #13
LifeOutside

You can't beat soaking your cloths in the nice army px 40% permethrin, with chigaway, and sawyers 100% deet! I like killing them before they bite.

Although I'll probably develop some form of skin cancer in the next 5 years if I stay out side at my current rate.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:43 AM   #14
backwoodsman

I catch them and pluck their heads off with tweezers,then flick their worthless carcasses into the bush.
backwoodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 10:12 PM   #15
Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee

Of course it's not pollitically correct these days but smoking a pipe does a good job of keeping them all away from the head. Notice all the pictures of the old guides show them smoking a pipe. I actually enjoy a pipe on occasion but will go months in the winter without using it. But come bug season it always finds it's way out with me.
That said, I use DEET 100% , usually put some under the hat brim +/or on a bandana, long shirt and pants, I usually bring a head net but almost never use it. And I've even used the skin-so-soft. As a last resort, when all else fails though the DEET comes out. Back in Vietnam it was DEET that was in the little clear bottles riding on the helmets of the grunts, check it out next time you see the war on History Channel. Couldn't buy it in the USA at the time, I was in supply and it always made good trade barter for anyone heading home. Back then you could always take a trip up to Canada and buy DEET up there too.
John M. A Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 10:31 PM   #16
Harvey44

DEET is a close relative of DDT. It is very toxic. Can't imagine why someone would put it on their body.

Smoke does work. While I dislike 2 stroke motors they do do the trick. I do use a chainsaw outdoors in bug season and am not bothered. (Maybe it's the noise?)

I find frost is the best solution. I spend my time in woods between August 1 and May 10.
Harvey44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:25 AM   #17
Budnick11

Seems so far like DEET is simply the most effective solution. I'm surprised not more people have used that "bye-bye black fly" stuff seeing as it is manufactured in the Adirondacks... I'm going to bring a bottle of that along with my DEET spray this weekend to try it out.

Definitely bringing the headnets too.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:44 AM   #18
colden46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey44 View Post
DEET is a close relative of DDT.
Do you have a link or something that says this? I've never heard it before, so I tried a google search and couldn't find anything. Thanks!

Having seen what DEET will do to plastic, I do try to go without as much as possible.

Last edited by colden46; 05-19-2008 at 12:02 PM..
colden46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 01:00 PM   #19
cavewine
indigent barkeater

DEET and plastic

I have seen the effects of Deet on some plastics (watch faces, compass faces...). BUt yet, it is normally sold in PLASTIC BOTTLES.... how does this magically come to pass??? Answers???
cavewine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 01:14 PM   #20
St.Regis

Old Woodsman, aka Ole Time Woodsman, is the best repellent that I've used. What's in it? Who knows, but a little goes a long ways.
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote