Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Northville Placid Trail
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2010, 10:49 PM   #1
wyldeflower
happiest in the woods

Duck Hole Revisited - August 2009

http://picasaweb.google.com/wilderfl...NPTAugust2009#

I was looking at the photos that I took of my thru-hike of the NPT in August 2009. Wow, I was so lucky to have hiked that trail. I'd love to hike the NPT again. Anyway, I was even more fortunate to have been able to wake up to a morning of Duck Hole magic and mystery. The weather had been cloudy and humid the day before, but a new weather system came through and cleared out the humidity and what a treat.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:57 PM   #2
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Very nice pictures. Duck Hole is one of my favorite spots... I've been there numerous times between 2005 and 2007, but hadn't been back until this past November.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:04 AM   #3
Cold River Bob
Bob in the Sewards

Duckhole is one of my favorite places to, I been there every year at least once since 2000, I was lucky enough to see it before they took out the bridge.I have said it before if you really want to see Duckhole see it buy canoe ,The portage is rough , The views are awesome an the fishing can be great at times besides its the only way to fish the falls that feeds it,

I know it is early but I'm planning on canoeing in this summer if anyone wants to join me maybe we can get a group as time draws near,
Cold River Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 05:46 PM   #4
Tall Tom
NPT Fanatic

Bob, I would be interested in canoeing in to Duck Hole. Perhaps we could put together a work party to spend two or three days clearing up the portage trails.
Tall Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:35 PM   #5
Cold River Bob
Bob in the Sewards

Tom

Last year when I did it the main portage that need clearing was between the to Upper Lower ponds an the one to Duckhole. Yes I would be intrested in doing it.

Bob
Cold River Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:17 PM   #6
forevrwyld
Keith and Dad, Redfield Summit

I guess Bob forgot about all the mess up to that point.

Henderson Lake to the start of the big hill to Upper Preston is a mess since the trail was re-routed (sort of) out of the beaver swamp and up the hill to Upper Preston was almost all grown in and in need of serious side cutting. I don't think that has been done in years.

There is also very little left of the bog bridging from the top of the big hill to Upper Preston through the muck area.

Bob is correct the piece from Upper to Lower Preston needs some work, but that is only maybe 50 yards pine boughs pruning. I have no idea who cleared the trail from Lower Preston to Duck Hole but it is sweet now.

Maybe I noticed this more because I had a 17' 50 # canoe hat on with a weeks worth of backpacking gear strapped to my back.

As I think about it more, maybe its best left in its state of disrepair, makes it that much more enjoyable once you get there and deters people from canoeing in.

Peace.
"The trail is what it is. If it goes up, over, under -- there is the choice to follow it or not. As for weather, it will be what it will be. One cannot choose conditions, only to hike or not to hike." AT Thru-Hiker
forevrwyld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:27 PM   #7
murphymarrk

I've spent 20 plus nights at duck hole and when waking up in bed ,at home,that water is what i wish to see.Rough trails attract me,though trail work only shows that same passion for a place.Any way you put it,you all rule.Were all in the same boat.
murphymarrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:31 PM   #8
murphymarrk

Also,I was the first to cross the new bridge over roaring brook.Suckers!
murphymarrk is offline   Reply With Quote