Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > Forum News and Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2009, 10:47 PM   #1
adktyler
previously adk88

Question What does your user name mean?

I thought since it sort of became that on the "User name or real name" thread I'd start it here. What does your user name mean? Any special significance?

Mine is boring. Just the Adirondacks (duh, ADK), and my year of birth.

Care to share yours? I'm especially interested to hear what Neil's and Rik's mean!
Old 01-29-2009, 11:08 PM   #2
Skyclimber
SAFE CLIMBING

When I first bought my computer several years back, I needed a username and I asked my daughter to choose one for me and she came up with "Skyclimber."

Paul Jamieson Class of '58
Skyclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:05 AM   #3
Rik
H-E-R-O

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK88 View Post
I thought since it sort of became that on the "User name or real name" thread I'd start it here. What does your user name mean? Any special significance?

Mine is boring. Just the Adirondacks (duh, ADK), and my year of birth.

Care to share yours? I'm especially interested to hear what Neil's and Rik's mean!
Rik is a little tough to explain.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:02 AM   #4
Tuchov
Pirate

First 6 letters of my lastname, figured I could always remember that.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:26 AM   #5
Seeker

lifelong curiousity about a lot of things.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:34 AM   #6
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Jokes about a former career notwithstanding, at various bodies of water, I was often referred to as "that guy with those strippers".
The screen name just came naturally...
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:24 AM   #7
ADKHUNTER

My favorite place to hunt.
ADKHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:32 AM   #8
PA Ridgerunner
Just a hiker...

Northern Pennsylvania has a long tradition of local citizens' animosity (both real and imagined) toward flatlanders. You know...those city-slickers from Philadelphia who come to "the mountains" with their money and drive up the price of real estate, hunt on "our land", yadda yadda yadda (sound familiiar?). Anyway, I chose my forum name as one of those native Ridgerunners. There's a local folk writer and former college prof of mine, Jim Glimm, who published a book called "Flatlanders and Ridgerunners: Folktales from the Mountains of Northern Pennsylvania." http://www.amazon.com/Flatlanders-Ri...pr_product_top It's a great read that gives some insight into all of this.

Rule #6: Don't take yourself so G.D. seriously. There are no other rules. - Zander
PA Ridgerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:32 AM   #9
Dick
somewhere out there...

Unlike most of you, I decided to get creative and use the name given to me by my mommy and daddy.

Dick
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:57 AM   #10
dke1924

My initials and a combination of mine and my wife's birthdays. Not very creative, but its the same user name I use on most stuff I do online, makes it easy to remember.
For me and for thousands with similar inclinations, the most important passion of life is the overpowering desire to escape periodically from the clutches of a mechanistic civilization. To us the enjoyment of solitude, complete independence, and the beauty of undefiled panoramas is absolutely essential to happiness.- Bob Marshall
dke1924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:14 AM   #11
adktyler
previously adk88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
That's what I figured!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dke1924 View Post
My initials and a combination of mine and my wife's birthdays. Not very creative, but its the same user name I use on most stuff I do online, makes it easy to remember.
I think that's pretty sweet, actually, you and your wife's birthday! Nice
Old 01-30-2009, 01:11 PM   #12
sp_nyp
Mad Scientist

Initials and location
sp_nyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:30 PM   #13
Buster Bear
Trail Bum

It's the nickname my wife gave me shortly after we started dating. I think she may have read the Buster Bear series of children books when growing up. I never asked her...

I'm big, furry and could probably bust through anything but as harmless as a Teddy bear (unless provoked and with no other way out).
CL50 #49
Buster Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:55 PM   #14
qam1

Mine goes back to a game of Asteroids when I was 9 in 1979

When playing another kid, we had a bet and being kids with no $$, our bet was who ever lost could no longer use their real initials for high scores ever.

Well, I lost. Actually not really, I was winning big but in Asteroids if you get over a 99,990 you score flips back to zero. I was at 99,970 and all I had to do was crash into a big 20 pt Asteroid and my game would have ended at the impossible to beat 99,990. But just as I got near the big 20 pointer, the little UFO came out and shot it out from under me making it into 50 points ones in which one hit me flipping my score all the way back down to 30. I got the free guy and made a valiant effort to get back to a least my opponent's score but I fell short.

So I lost but still had one of the high scores, and had to pick new initials. So I just closed my eyes and press the buttons randomly and up came QAM

Since then, everytime in a video game I get the highscore or anything in a computer I needed a name for, I put QAM (When I need 4 characters minimum I just put a 1 after Qam because I am the 1st). 30 years later I'm still using it

Which kind of worked out OK, because for here and my hompage I can always say QAM = Quintessential Adirondack Mountains

I did convert QAM into a religion at one time, but then there was this thing with those dam &*#!* Scientologist, but that's a whole other story...

Qam1

http://www.lowerwolfjaw.com/qam1 - Everything & Anything on the Adirondacks
:
:

Last edited by qam1; 01-30-2009 at 03:00 PM.. Reason: Sp.
qam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 03:04 PM   #15
adktyler
previously adk88

Quote:
Originally Posted by qam1 View Post
Mine goes back to a game of Asteroids when I was 9 in 1979

When playing another kid, we had a bet and being kids with no $$, our bet was who ever lost could no longer use their real initials for high scores ever.

Well, I lost. Actually not really, I was winning big but in Asteroids if you get over a 99,990 you score flips back to zero. I was at 99,970 and all I had to do was crash into a big 20 pt Asteroid and my game would have ended at the impossible to beat 99,990. But just as I got near the big 20 pointer, the little UFO came out and shot it out from under me making it into 50 points ones in which one hit me flipping my score all the way back down to 30. I got the free guy and made a valiant effort to get back to a least my opponent's score but I fell short.

So I lost but still had one of the high scores, and had to pick new initials. So I just closed my eyes and press the buttons randomly and up came QAM

Since then, everytime in a video game I get the highscore or anything in a computer I needed a name for, I put QAM (When I need 4 characters minimum I just put a 1 after Qam because I am the 1st). 30 years later I'm still using it

Which kind of worked out OK, because for here and my hompage I can always say QAM = Quintessential Adirondack Mountains

I did convert QAM into a religion at one time, but then there was this thing with those dam &*#!* Scientologist, but that's a whole other story...
HAHA, that's an AWESOME story! I think you take the prize for the most creative screen name, way to be!
Old 01-30-2009, 05:20 PM   #16
dke1924

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK88 View Post
That's what I figured!

I think that's pretty sweet, actually, you and your wife's birthday! Nice
My wife asked my why I didn't use our anniversary. I told her I needed something I would remember
For me and for thousands with similar inclinations, the most important passion of life is the overpowering desire to escape periodically from the clutches of a mechanistic civilization. To us the enjoyment of solitude, complete independence, and the beauty of undefiled panoramas is absolutely essential to happiness.- Bob Marshall
dke1924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 06:26 PM   #17
adktyler
previously adk88

Quote:
Originally Posted by dke1924 View Post
My wife asked my why I didn't use our anniversary. I told her I needed something I would remember
Ouch! haha.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:47 PM   #18
b00tz

Mine here is a short for "TitanIron" that I've used since I was 15 (almost 27 now) for various other IM'ers and website signups. I think I was watching "clash of the Titans" at the moment when I was trying to create an account and I threw Iron on there because I was just getting into "pumping Iron". TitanIron is still all over the web in various stages of nomenclature but for new ones I try to shorten it up to just Titan.
b00tz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:18 PM   #19
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Redhawk Is King ??
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:46 PM   #20
1ADAM12
Should I Jump?????????????

Do you all remember that TV show way back when? Tyler your to young to remember I am sure

Plus Adam is my first name!
1ADAM12 is offline   Reply With Quote