Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Other Places
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2010, 10:56 PM   #1
wyldeflower
happiest in the woods

Hiking the John Muir Trail

I was fortunate enough to hike the John Muir Trail this summer from North (Happy Isles in Yosemite National Park) to South (Mount Whitney/Whitney Portal). I hope to post pictures, but am not too adept with that yet. I took 24 days to hike. What a great experience. I'm already asking myself, where to next year? I think that 24 days felt 3 days too long, on the trail, but I am so grateful for this experience. If you have time, check out: JohnMuirTrail@YahooGroups. There's a lot of information if you're interested in hiking the trail. If you need a partner to go out there, I'd love to hike the John Muir Trail again.

Most days, I averaged 10 miles. There was a lot of water running. They had lots of snow in the late spring. Didn't see bear, myself. We had a little bit of snow one afternoon near Glen Pass I think it was.

I'm serious about going out again next year if anyone is interested. If you do not have 24 days in which to hike, I suppose I could shoot for 21. Here are some handy resources: Eric the Black's John Muir Trail Atlas Guide book, Tom Harrison Maps, http://www.amazon.com/John-Muir-Trai...2618416&sr=1-1

HAPPY TRAILS AND ALL THAT JAZZ
Old 08-24-2010, 09:08 AM   #2
jan

Congratulations on your hike! I recently returned from a section hike on the JMT from Mono Hot Springs (near VVR) to Florence Lake. This was my 3rd trek on the JMT and each year I love it more. The nice thing about doing sections is I get to return year after year and also see the side trails to access and exit from. Next year we're thinking of doing a horsepacking trip from North Lake to South Lake through Evolution Valley on the east side of the Sierras. I'm really looking forward to seeing your pictures.

TrailJournals.com has a section on the JMT. We met one of the hikers on there (hiking with his son) at Selden Pass and again at MTR, so I've been following their progress since I got home, and wishing I was still out there hiking.
jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:22 AM   #3
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

I hope you got to spend some time in Kings Canyon National Park. The JMT goes through a portion of it. Biut the best parts of it are away from the trail because it's pretty remote and most people don't hike in the areas away from the JMT. Beautiful lakes and Alpine meadows and S.O.L.I.T.U.D.E...

IMO it's now the best of the national parks because it doesn't have the people traffic most of the others do.

Hawk
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 12:58 PM   #4
Dunbar
Unfathomable Intellect.

Nice job! 24 days is quite a bit of time to be out on the trail. What time of year were you there? They had a very late snow year this year - still snow hanging around when I went through at the end of July.

I would second Hawk's recommendation for more in the SEKI area. There are HUGE sections of land back there and few people that travel the trails through it. There's even fewer people that travel off the trails in it. If you are looking for something different next time, take a look at the Sierra High Route. It generally does what the Muir Trail does, but it involves quite a few sections of off-trail travel that will get you into some stunning country and away from the crowds on the JMT. While the SHR involves off trail travel, the section I have done are pretty straightforward from a navigation point of view. At there very least you could combine sections of the SHR and JMT to make a different and possibly more interesting route than just doing the JMT again.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:21 PM   #5
wyldeflower
happiest in the woods

Dunbar:

I hiked July 15 - August 12. I would love to return to the Sierras, but I'm not great at planning and don't want to venture alone. I hiked from Happy Isles/Yosemite Valley to Whitney Portal (the terminus of the JMT Whitney summit). I feel very fortunate to have had the opportunity to hike out there. As I say, I'd like to go out there again, even if I have to hire a professional guide - not to cook for me or to carry my gear because I am very capable of those things. I just want to hike. I'd love to venture off to the areas where there are less people.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:38 PM   #6
wyldeflower
happiest in the woods

Trip report forthcoming

I'm not so good about keeping logs and journals. I have a lot of photos. I will try to work on a trip report very soon. PLEASE STAY TUNED !