Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What is the best way to keep black flies away?
Standard DEET spray (Deep woods off, etc.) 56 24.45%
DEET lotion/cream 7 3.06%
100% DEET solution 65 28.38%
Bye-Bye Black Fly 8 3.49%
Citronella oil 9 3.93%
Skin oils (Skin-so-soft, etc.) 6 2.62%
Eat a lot of garlic 7 3.06%
I stay inside. 16 6.99%
Don't use anything, I'm a blood donor! 15 6.55%
Other (please explain!) 40 17.47%
Voters: 229. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-30-2009, 08:52 AM   #61
rachelsdad

I only noticed one reference to Repel Lemon Eucalyptus.

I have had great luck wit over the years...and I smell somewhat better when I get home too.

But yeah Alombard has it right, except at night you need to light a cigar
rachelsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 05:15 PM   #62
looncry

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbitling View Post
what about head nets and other clothing/barrier strategies.
I have done this in the past[wear a head net] and survived pretty well.best of luck! We live across the street from a moving creek and deal extensively with these annoying bugs. Looncry
Old 07-20-2009, 09:33 PM   #63
shortcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
It works pretty good, but doesn't last long. In contrast to deet which confuses their sensors, OTW actually keeps them away, kind like an invisible bubble around you. That was dramatically shown one time in calm wind on Little Tupper. A heavy application of deet was working to keep hoards of black flies from biting, more or less, when they were swarming like crazy, flying into every opening of clothing, nose, eyes and ears. Not even getting out away from shore provided relief. A friend of mine put on some OTW and couldn't believe the difference. I tried it too. The flies didn't even bother to get close.
I agree, Deer Flies, the pesky little noggin bombers which I despise even more than Black Flies, this year seem to be particularly abundant and bothersome, and nothing works like Ole Time Woodsman. Yes, it's noisome odor can be unpleasant to many, but I have sort of grown unnaturally fond of it, much as I have developed a strange fondness for the smell of gasoline, especially mixed with 2-cycle oil. It's advertised as "all-natural" but of course Poison Hemlock is too, so that attribution doesn't really mean anything. Nonetheless, I haven't seemed to have had any adverse experiences with it over the years, unlike the 100% DEET, which one time converted my styrofoam bicycle helmet into a piece of Swiss cheese. But DEET has it's place for all the other little biting and stinging critters excepting Deer Flies. I'm so glad they brought the stuff back to market.
shortcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:18 AM   #64
dihicks6

Where can you buy Old Woodsmen and/or Repel Lemon Eucalyptus? Haven't had any luck calling around. Anywhere in/around Utica?
dihicks6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 01:36 PM   #65
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by dihicks6 View Post
Where can you buy Old Woodsmen and/or Repel Lemon Eucalyptus? Haven't had any luck calling around. Anywhere in/around Utica?
In the past I ordered some from here. There is a bit of history of the stuff. The original was not manufactured for several years. A new company has picked it up.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:13 PM   #66
DuctTape
Out of Shape

I see this thread has been resurrected. This season I used Ultrathon with great success. This is made by 3M, originally for the US DOD. What is new about this product is that it is DEET suspended in a lotion so that it last much longer. The label says 12 hours, and I can honestly say I have gone all day without need to reapply.

I also recently was rereading NEssmuk's "Woodcraft" and he had a recipe for his bug-dope. Very interesting as he claimed 2oz would last all-season. I got the impression that this included not bathing so as to not remove the coating one has built up.

Nessmuk's recipe:

"Three ounces pine tar, two ounces castor oil, and one ounce pennyroyal oil. Simmer all together over a slow fire, and bottle for use... Rub it in thoroughly and liberally at first, and after you have established a good glaze, a little replenishing from day to day will be sufficient. And don't fool with soap and towels where insects are plenty."

http://books.google.com/books?id=MCgoAAAAYAAJ (page 22)

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 04:09 PM   #67
wyldeflower
happiest in the woods

REPEL (purchased at Campmor) or NATRAPEL; Bug netting at campground

I have a thing against using DEET.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:44 PM   #68
46R796

When I first started hiking with my dad many years ago,dad made up a home "brew" of 50% oil of Citronella and 50% Old time woodsmans dope.
It worked so well the worst black flys would never come near and it kept most people at bay also.
Not sure if those products are available anymore.
46R796 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:11 PM   #69
Walter

Pennyroyal is toxic to humans.

Duct Tape: Pennyroyal is quite toxic to humans. I was also tempted by that Nessmuk recipe, but on looking into it, the pennyroyal is just too dangerous.
This year I've had good success with using clothing sprayed with permethrin and a buzzoff cap with a cape. I haven't used DEET yet, but I suspect that we are about to reap the mosquitos that the rains have sown. Ultrathon is good stuff.
--Walter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
I see this thread has been resurrected. This season I used Ultrathon with great success. This is made by 3M, originally for the US DOD. What is new about this product is that it is DEET suspended in a lotion so that it last much longer. The label says 12 hours, and I can honestly say I have gone all day without need to reapply.

I also recently was rereading NEssmuk's "Woodcraft" and he had a recipe for his bug-dope. Very interesting as he claimed 2oz would last all-season. I got the impression that this included not bathing so as to not remove the coating one has built up.

Nessmuk's recipe:

"Three ounces pine tar, two ounces castor oil, and one ounce pennyroyal oil. Simmer all together over a slow fire, and bottle for use... Rub it in thoroughly and liberally at first, and after you have established a good glaze, a little replenishing from day to day will be sufficient. And don't fool with soap and towels where insects are plenty."

http://books.google.com/books?id=MCgoAAAAYAAJ (page 22)
Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:22 PM   #70
Dick
somewhere out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46R796 View Post
When I first started hiking with my dad many years ago,dad made up a home "brew" of 50% oil of Citronella and 50% Old time woodsmans dope.
It worked so well the worst black flys would never come near and it kept most people at bay also.
Oil of citronella is available at health food stores. My wife uses it regularly.

Dick
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 06:30 AM   #71
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter View Post
Duct Tape: Pennyroyal is quite toxic to humans. I was also tempted by that Nessmuk recipe, but on looking into it, the pennyroyal is just too dangerous.
This year I've had good success with using clothing sprayed with permethrin and a buzzoff cap with a cape. I haven't used DEET yet, but I suspect that we are about to reap the mosquitos that the rains have sown. Ultrathon is good stuff.
--Walter
I had never heard of pennyroyal before I read nesmuk's recipe. The limited information I found was it is toxic when taken internally but is used for other topical additives. I wonder of oil of cintronella from the other post would be a good substitute.

The permethrin is on my clothes too. Works great. I do not remember the concentration of deet in ultrathon, I think it is about 30%.

Oh, walter, welcome to the group!

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal

Last edited by DuctTape; 08-03-2009 at 08:47 AM..
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:18 AM   #72
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter View Post
Duct Tape: Pennyroyal is quite toxic to humans.
--Walter
Tastes pretty good though...wonder what that says about me.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:06 AM   #73
46R796

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
In the past I ordered some from here. There is a bit of history of the stuff. The original was not manufactured for several years. A new company has picked it up.
Thats the stuff we used to use.Old time woodsmans and oil of citronella.
Thanks for the link.
46R796 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:09 PM   #74
Greeneyezz
Syracuse OranZZe ROCKS!

Ouch!

After reading this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberzac View Post
After watching deet take paint off my coffee mug, destroy my friends hat, and melt another friend's sunglasses, I try not to use the stuff. It also gives me some respiratory problems. One of the best none deet bug repents I've used is Repel's Lemon Eucalyptus. It doesn't last as long as deet, but keeps the black flies and mosquitoes at bay.

I should note that the stuff does nothing for deer flies.
I think I like this home 'brew' better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46R796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick View Post
Oil of citronella is available at health food stores. My wife uses it regularly.

Dick

And thank you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns

for a link on where to find it!

I take it the above seems to be the majority rule for Best NON-DEET?

~ZZ

(Click on Greeneyezz)

"The soul that can speak through the eyes, can also kiss with a gaze."
~Gustav Adolfo Becquer
Greeneyezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:07 AM   #75
yellowcanoe

http://www.ecoblends.com/the-company

Buzz Off is a Native herbal product and available locally in stores. Perhaps near you too.

I use it on my dog. It works but does not last as long as DEET.
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 04:15 PM   #76
Adkleaddog

Permetherin!

This stuff seems to work the best. I use it when in tick country, it DOES work. Apply it to your hat, clothes and such. It lasts for a few weeks even.....

(Age Old Yukon Saying)
Adkleaddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:55 AM   #77
mphilli2

An excerpt from PIONEER LIFE: THIRTY YEARS A HUNTER. The memoirist, Philip Tome, was a market hunter in Pennsylvania and southwestern New York, and here he tells of two men who explored Pine Creek in PA in 1794; bothered by rattlesnakes in their camp, "They then dropped out into the stream, and anchored for the night. But they found troublesome neighbors on the water, as well as on land. The gnats were so numerous and annoying that it was impossible to sleep. They accordingly laid pieces of bark across the canoe, covered them with clay, and built upon it a fire of rotten wood. This raised a smoke which protected them effectually."

I don't think I'll try this method.
mphilli2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 01:01 PM   #78
yellowcanoe

That wouldnt have been blackflies..which leave under darkness. More likely no seeums. Which emerge at dusk and set you on fire. They really like grassy areas.

Many Maine and New Brunswick farms have a host of smudge pots.. Small stoves similar to those old oil burning black lamps that you used to see on the roads..

Anyone old enough to remember them?
Old 04-24-2010, 03:26 PM   #79
yellowcanoe

New Repellent. Exterior primer. They weren't on me. They are all in the can of paint. I was not looking for a textured ceiling.

now I have to go back and fish all the bodies out.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:00 PM   #80
pkrchrds
Paul

It seems like there are a lot of choices because repellents all work differently on each individual. When my wife and I hit the woods we use different repellents. I get by fine on a little deet. She needs 100% deet, a screen room, a good wood fire and Afterbite.

What is everybody's take on black files this season? I'm leaving South Georgia (home of the sand gnats) for the ADKs the 2nd week of June to hike and paddle for 3 weeks.
pkrchrds is offline   Reply With Quote