Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > "By the Fireside"
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2013, 09:52 PM   #1
dundee

Lean-to litter.

I took a recent trip into a lake and lean-to in the western ADKs. Upon arrival I noticed that someone had left five cans of sardines and oysters. While this is not the crime of the century, the perp left his name, business cards and 46er # in the LT register.

This guy obviously didn't learn anything from climbing the 46 and has never heard of LNT or "Carry In, Carry Out". This guy is also a photographer and has never heard of "Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos".

I guess these cans were just too heavy to haul out, but how stupid to leave your name, occupation, 46er # and admit the "crime"!

What would hapen if everyone did this?
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 09:07 AM   #2
backwoodsman

A few years ago my Son and I went on a lean-to cleaning trip with Justin and his dog Jenny . We had a great time . I even dropped my camera into a pond ... retrieved it of course....After looking the leanto over I was glad we had tents.

Last edited by backwoodsman; 06-30-2022 at 08:41 AM..
backwoodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 09:18 AM   #3
Wldrns

Clean up your mess:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AShO_NeQ22k

Might be worth an info call to the local region 6 forest renger.
https://www.dec.ny.gov/about/667.html#Region_6

This incident of a can of sardines may not rise to the level of a serious environmental violation, but for those that do:

Report an Environmental Violation Onlinehttps://www.dec.ny.gov/regulations/67751.html
Old 06-27-2022, 09:29 AM   #4
backwoodsman

My wife , our kids and I cleaned up a campsite next to a waterfall about 10 years ago. The campers had left their tent , sleeping bags food , cooking gear and even thrown empty beer cans into the woods. I contacted the DEC prior to the cleaning and they were very grateful for the help.
backwoodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 10:42 AM   #5
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Holy zombie thread resurrection batman.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 10:50 AM   #6
St.Regis

You're just pissed because he didn't leave you any crackers or hot sauce
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 09:02 PM   #7
Justin
Moving along

Sadly it is true lean-tos are a magnet for many people. Misuse, abuse, trash, and other things left behind is not at all uncommon. A 46er status means nothing in this regard.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 03:57 PM   #8
Buckladd

Years ago, a bunch of us spent a weekend hunting out of a lean-to where someone had left two big cans of tomatoes behind. My college buddy, a retired U.S. Marine who will eat anything, carried them out. Can't pass up free food!