Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2016, 11:03 AM   #1
PJFFF

Bass Pro buying Cabela's (announcement this morning)

We were supposed to have a new Cabela's store in down state New York open this year. That plan failed. Look's like Bass Pro will be the "Big Fish" at the end of the day.

Heard the announcement this morning.

Patrick
PJFFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 11:19 AM   #2
adkmoose

I hope that they allow Cabelas to remain autonomous to some degree. I personally have found Bass Pro Shops line of clothing and gear far inferior to Cabelas brand .
That said , I would still love to have either one of them near my house.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:25 AM   #3
Wldrns

i have a BP near me, but have never been impressed with the line of "outdoor" clothing. Lots of Asian- made cotton, not much of value for anything. Other gear and the like is Walmart quality.
Old 10-03-2016, 02:47 PM   #4
JohnnyVirgil

I've been buying Cabelas Meindl hiking boots for years. I hope they maintain that relationship.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:50 PM   #5
mgc

They got what they positioned themselves for...looks like very poor business strategy and management to me.
Maybe BPS will put an end to Cabelas annoying catalogs. Even after writing and calling for years I still receive three of everything that they publish...including the $50.00 book.

My gripes with Cabelas are not just product quality or variety, it's the absurdly high prices and the extreme marketing spending. If they could reduce the money they spend hard selling to established customers they could lower their prices, increase the top line and likely the bottom line. Had they done that the for sale sign might not have been on the buildings.
Hopefully BPS will force them to reestablish their service/replacement policies. They no longer stand behind the Cabelas branded products with a lifetime replacement policy. It's all weasel worded and one year time limit....I recently told them that I could have purchased an equally poor product at Walmart and saved myself $200 plus dollars (Leaky Gortex Hunting Jacket)... their reply, even though the product had a lifetime replacement guaranty when I bought it, they would not honor it....
I shed no tears....
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:43 PM   #6
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgc View Post

Hopefully BPS will force them to reestablish their service/replacement policies. They no longer stand behind the Cabelas branded products with a lifetime replacement policy. It's all weasel worded and one year time limit....I recently told them that I could have purchased an equally poor product at Walmart and saved myself $200 plus dollars (Leaky Gortex Hunting Jacket)... their reply, even though the product had a lifetime replacement guaranty when I bought it, they would not honor it....
I shed no tears....
I've always had good luck with returns, but before it was no questions asked, now you have to send the item in for "evaluation." I've sent boots back before, and they've replaced two pair over the years. But I agree on the catalogs. Holy hell, they're worse than sportsman's guide.

Last edited by JohnnyVirgil; 10-04-2016 at 06:18 AM..
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:41 PM   #7
Buckladd

I like Bass Pro for bargains. Other than food stuff I haven't done much with Cabelas. This deal has been in the works for some time. But $5.5 billion, wow!
Buckladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 11:31 AM   #8
Fly Rodder

I think Bass Pro has shoddy quality and will run Cabela's into the ground. It used to be Cabela's was an adequate competitor to LL Bean with a similar philosophy (quality). Now they carry a handful of high end brands and mostly sell their knock-off versions at inflated prices. Bass Pro has a similar strategy, but with even less quality on their store-branded merchandise.

I've stopped at the Cabela's in Buffalo a handful of times on work trips and left without buying anything because nothing they were selling appealed to me.
Fly Rodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 03:10 PM   #9
Uncle Alvah

Pretty much all my gear is bought on-line and I can usually find exactly what I want someplace but it seldom seems to be at Cabela's. I have bought some ammo from them. Never set foot in or spent a dime at a bass Pro.
Uncle Alvah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 04:00 PM   #10
EagleCrag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Rodder View Post
Now they carry a handful of high end brands and mostly sell their knock-off versions at inflated prices. Bass Pro has a similar strategy, but with even less quality on their store-branded merchandise.
I agree with this sentiment. I prefer to purchase name brand merchandise, not Cabelas or Bass Pro brands. If I want a pair of Muck boots for instance, I want the Muck brand, not the Cabela's or Bass Pro version of the same boot. Many of the brand names have disappeared from their catalogs.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 05:58 PM   #11
mgc

Their branded Gortex MT050 Quiet Pack Rain and Cold Bibs and Jackets are very good hunting gear...well designed, quiet, warm...and when they used to replace them w/o question they were worth the the very high prices.....now...not so much.
Agree with everyone else..tough to spend at Cabelas due to stupid prices...You need to buy from the online and only when the items are on sale...they mark down pretty hard from time to time.
Their waders are also quite good but Bass Pro is now more responsive to replacement. My next ones will come from Rogers Outdoors.

As I noted in my earlier post...out of control marketing to established customers...poor management.
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote