Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > "By the Fireside"
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2022, 09:58 PM   #41
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

The fiberglass looks great on there. I hope the sanding will go smoothly. What is the paddle weight difference between fiberglass and no fiberglass? I'd like to try it on my next paddle, but mine are already around 3 pounds, as I recall.
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 11:08 PM   #42
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Thanks, Zach.
Uhmm...let's say I have approximately 160 sq in of 2 oz cloth per side, that's 2 oz/sq yd, or 2 oz/1296 sq in. So 160 sq in of cloth should weigh 0.2469 oz. I know I used 1 fluid oz of RAKA epoxy resin, that weighs about 9 lbs/gal, so 1 fluid oz of that resin would be 0.070 oz.
I glassed both sides of the blades, so double all of that...(0.2469 +0.070)*2 = 0.6338 oz.

I'm pretty sure that the paddles are actually less than 160 sq in, and the 1 fluid oz of resin per side included soaking a 1" disposable brush. Guessing at all of that, I would say the cloth and resin added at least 0.5 oz, but likely not more than 0.7 oz.

Not much additional weight, most the weight of the paddles is dominated by the wood.

Hey, wait...was that a pun? (I hope the sanding will go smoothly) Pretty clever.
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 11:02 AM   #43
Zach

Four decimal places is a high level of precision. It sounds like the glass would be a negligible addition to the overall weight, and I could offset it by partially hollowing the shaft with a router bit before epoxying the two 1x2 pieces together. I imagine the glass goes over the phenolic tip, or do you not wrap it around on the end, just on the sides? I guess a pun is in the eye of the reader, at least when written down.
Old 01-17-2022, 01:28 PM   #44
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Zach,
I only wrapped the sides, and overlapped the phenolic tip.
Nothing on the bottom of the tip,
I like your idea of a hollowed out shaft
Old 01-17-2022, 02:29 PM   #45
Zach

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. The phenolic tip is another of your wise ideas that I'd like to borrow next time I make a paddle. I think that the double paddle is less likely to run its tip into underwater things by mistake than the single paddle, but I do use the end to fend off things sometimes in an emergency, and it gets a bit dinged.
Old 01-19-2022, 02:11 PM   #46
montcalm

I finally got to drive my wife's CRV in the snow yesterday. I was quite impressed. It reminds me of a cross between a Civic and Subaru Forester. I thought the AWD system seemed better than my past Subaru. I was drifting it all over the place and it was very responsive to throttle control and steering input. Hooked up and went when I wanted to go straight. Not bad for a grocery getter. Can't wait to take some ski trips with it
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 05:50 PM   #47
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

I drove mine today to do some BC skiing (AT equipment, not XC).
88 mile round trip, 33.4 mpg avg. Way better than my old Element, more comfortable too, but not nearly as useful!
18" on the ground, firm crust down low, lighter crust up higher.
Here's a link...I hope:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KPupiMeBsbZwqwKZ7
Old 01-19-2022, 07:22 PM   #48
montcalm

Nice - we got quite the thaw today. Easy come, easy go.

I definitely favor some modern rockered skis for those crusts. I have some 90s Tuas that in their day were awesome AT skis. They still are pretty dang good, but throw some crust at them and get ready to flail!
Old 01-19-2022, 08:27 PM   #49
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Today I was on my Fisher Watea's, 84 underfoot, now probably 10 or 12 years old.
The guy I met there (and was kind enough to video me, I returned the favor using his GoPro) had some sort of rockered Fisher...he told me the name but it didn't stick, but I remember they were 98 underfoot. He floated quite a bit better than I did. He said he was mostly a lift served skier, but bought those particular skis since they would hold on harder snow at a resort as well as handle powder and crud in the side and back country. They were 1 or 2 years old, I'm gonna look them up before I forget what they looked like.

Edit:
Just found them: Fisher Ranger 99Ti
https://www.rei.com/product/181925/f...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited by stripperguy; 01-19-2022 at 08:39 PM..
Old 01-19-2022, 08:41 PM   #50
montcalm

I used to ski something like the Watea (in terms of shape) for lift riding. Those are big ski compared to what I'm used to now. My biggest now are 82 underfoot and significantly narrower in tips and tails.

I don't long for more shape or width off-piste though. The geometry of the tip (and tails) makes a huge difference for me with no weight penalty. Our snow tends to be on the stiff end of the spectrum in terms of fresh snow density, so huge width isn't always merited IMO.
Old 01-23-2022, 02:40 PM   #51
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

This is the end of the line...I'm varnishing the shafts, grips and blades, 2 coats so far.
Shafts and grips are smooth and comfy.
Shafts and blades are just a tad flexy, just the way I like them.
Many more coats to go, but the aesthetics will be essentially unchanged.

Old 01-24-2022, 08:32 PM   #52
Zach

The paddles look great, and I like your storage or drying rack, it's very innovative. Many coats on that many paddles must take a while.