Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2012, 04:34 PM   #1
Peteubb

Camping In The Rain

going camping soon, its looking like it will be raining on set up day(still really too early to go by the 10 day forecast but im getting pumped so i keep looking at it)

ive done it before but just wondering if anyone has any tips that maybe i haven't thought of for setting up and general camping in the rain.
Peteubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:42 PM   #2
Rusty and the Maniac

A good tarp setup is key to having a good camp in the rain.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:20 PM   #3
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

My only tips are to be very familiar with your tent so you can set it up fast and to roll out the tent, stake only as needed to get it up and get the fly on and then fiddle with the other stakes and the guy wires or whatever once you get the fly on. All of this assumes that you are using a tent. This time of year rain does not bother me when camping and hiking as long as I can keep the map, the inside of the tent and the sleeping bag dry.
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:21 PM   #4
Justin
Moving along

Never been scared of the rain.
If it's going to rain, so what?
Just be sure to have at least one good tarp, a pack cover, a rain jacket, and if it's going to be real bad, perhaps a good tent, and some rain pants too.
I've been caught setting up camp in the rain countless times, only once was it really really bad, but it did not take away any enjoyment from the trip, only made it more fun.
Believe it or not, you can still get a fire going during a torential down-pour if you get your tarp set up, and you have dry matches or lighter, then gather some small pieces of dead wood, and shave off the outer wet sections with a sharp knife and get to the inner drier wood, make some 'fire sticks' and shave off a nice pile of dry tinder that will take a flame without even using any paper or other means of ingnition.
Like I said, I've had to do it on more than one occasion...
Here's a couple "let it rain" photos to share:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (112.5 KB, 261 views)
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (74.0 KB, 259 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (90.4 KB, 259 views)
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:13 AM   #5
EagleCrag

Justin: Not to hijack this thread, but I'd like to hear a bit about your dog. I see him/her in some of your pictures and I'll bet you have a special bond. And its lucky to have a master that likes the outdoors.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:27 AM   #6
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleCrag View Post
Justin: Not to hijack this thread, but I'd like to hear a bit about your dog. I see him/her in some of your pictures and I'll bet you have a special bond. And its lucky to have a master that likes the outdoors.
Thanks EagleCrag.
Her name is Jenny and she is 6 and a half years old.
Yeah she is special...loves the outdoors as much as I do. We even share the same birthday. She's a great canoe dog too. Labs are awesome, however, she doesn't enjoy the rain as much as I do. If you'd like to hear more, feel free to shoot me a pm.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:37 AM   #7
geogymn

Justin, That's quite the set-up in pic #1.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:02 AM   #8
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogymn View Post
Justin, That's quite the set-up in pic #1.
Thanks. That one was from a backpacking trip with my father to Spectacle Pond in the Pharaoh Lake Wilderness a few years ago. He had an old rainfly from an old Eureka Timberline tent, and I had the tarp. His tent is just out of view. Doesn't look like it in the photo but it poured all weekend, but we didn't care.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:21 AM   #9
Justin
Moving along

...I should probably add that having the proper gear and clothing is essential to having an enjoyable camping experience in the rain.. Camping in the rain during Summer is one thing, getting caught in the rain without proper gear and clothing during colder months can turn deadly.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:30 AM   #10
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
...I should probably add that having the proper gear and clothing is essential to having an enjoyable camping experience in the rain.. Camping in the rain during Summer is one thing, getting caught in the rain without proper gear and clothing during colder months can turn deadly.
I would add to the above the argument that rainy colder months are more dangerous than the dry dead of winter.

Either stay dry, or have a means to dry fast.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:37 PM   #11
Rainman

Have fun!! happens all the time, hence the Nickname. Bring lots of tarps. Good rain gear. Make sure the tent is tight. Always pack the rain gear last, so it is on TOP.
Rainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:27 PM   #12
Joe

Yep! Rain gear and first aid kit on top.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:31 PM   #13
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Yep! Rain gear and first aid kit on top.
TP goes on top in my pack!

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:04 PM   #14
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

I don't carry rain gear when hiking in the summer, but I do make sure my pack is as waterproof as I can make it. Last summer I was camping at Queer Lake for two nights and on the first night a moderate to sometimes heavy rain began that lasted for over 24 hours. That day I hiked for about 6 hours and was perfectly fine as long as I didn't stop moving for more than a few minutes, since the high was in the 60s. In the afternoon and evening I sat in the Queer Lake LT and read my book and caught up on some eating I had been meaning to do. For me this is where synthetic clothes are really good because they will dry rapidly when the rain stops and my fleece will still help keep me warm even when completely saturated. In order to keep myself really dry I would have to have better rain gear than I own, and if I am going to be wet from pushing through bushes and tree branches I would rather be wet without the rain gear than with it. I try to minimize weight for my annual Adirondack trip in August since I carry all of my stuff to the trailheads on my bicycle and cover about 300 miles of roads over the week as well as the hiking that is the reason I am making the trip.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:45 PM   #15
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I agree that a good tarp set up is essential to enjoyable camping in the rain. I've stayed far dryer under tarps than I ever have in any tent. I usually sleep under tarps (with a bug net during bug season) but even when I camp in a tent I still bring a tarp. It's nice to be able to have room to move around and sit up, especially when you're doing things like cooking or even just hanging out in camp. Plus if stuff does get wet, with a tarp it will dry out much more quickly than in a tent.

I also agree that keeping your gear dry is also essential. IMO, pack covers are useless- water is going to get under them anyways, and then the pack cover is just going to prevent it from getting out. A pack liner is much more effective at keeping your gear dry. You can get decent ones from any gear store (sea to summit is a good brand), or, if you're economically challenged, heavy duty contractor bags will work too. On top of the liner, I also keep my essentials (sleeping bag and clothing) inside waterproof stuff sacks (I use the sea to summit event stuff sacks).

When I first got started in backpacking, I had a couple of trips on which all of my gear got absolutely soaked. It was a part of the learning process- if it happens to you, don't let it deter you from enjoyment of the outdoors! Just learn from it and do better to keep your gear dry the next time around.

Last edited by DSettahr; 07-24-2012 at 08:21 AM..
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:53 AM   #16
pllckjsnm

Tarp

A tarp is the ticket. I use my old Army poncho. During the summer it is my rain gear, much more comfortable in the humidity and goes over the pack. I guess it's what I'm used to, lived under it many days.
pllckjsnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:19 PM   #17
teclo

Yahtzee ! (or maybe sudoku) hehe.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:38 PM   #18
Peteubb

thanks everyone, nothing i really didn't already know but it's good to know i wasn't forgetting anything.

leaving tomorrow for 10 days up there.
Peteubb is offline   Reply With Quote