Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Gear, Food, and Survival Topics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2014, 08:18 AM   #1
HappyHiker

Knife Confusion

For years I only carried a tiny folding pocket knife with a 1 inch blade. I lost it but at the same time I found in a parking lot a mini multi tool so I bring that now.

But I am going on a 2 week hike with my son and was watching the Hobbit. Man those dwarves carry alot of knives! Surely I could carry a more manly or dwarfly (a word not used much) knife?

Honestly I only open food pouches with my my knife as my son pointed out. He carries a small pocket knife he won at the arcade in Lake George and all he did was wittle sticks with it so he is happy.

With a full backpack I have all I need to survive.

Some people carry razorblades in a duct tape sheath.

We were hiking up skylight last year and were passed by some younger guys carring combat knives and little else. I wondered how that would keep them warm if they had to spend the night out.

I was thinking what do I fear most in the woods. A twisted ankle.

Any points of view would be appreciated. Specific examples of knives would be good too.
HappyHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:29 AM   #2
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

I have one of those swiss army penknives with about a 1.5" blade, it is plenty big for what I need to do and also has little scissors and tweezers in case of emergency. I try to avoid carrying things that I don't anticipate using, other than a first aid kit which I hope not to use but bring anyway.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:46 AM   #3
HappyHiker

My wife says that the dwarves were fighting orcs and asked if orcs were in the Adiorondacks. : )

Last edited by HappyHiker; 04-27-2014 at 09:17 AM..
Old 04-27-2014, 09:24 AM   #4
stumpsitter

Knife Confusion

I carry a high quality locking folder with a 3" blade. Getting a fire going after a couple of days of rain with only a 1 and a half inch pen knife is more of a chore than I want to deal with. I don't think you need a giant sheath knife, but I believe in having a tool adequate for the possible tasks it might be used for.
stumpsitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:40 AM   #5
HappyHiker

You would use the knife to cut through the wet part of a branch to get to the dry stuff and make tinder. I never thought of that.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:29 AM   #6
MaximusFunk24

http://www.moraofsweden.se/construct...lround-kolstal

I love Mora knives, lightweight, very sharp and durable, and can be found on ebay for about 10 bucks new. Also rewarding if you want to remove the plastic handle and carve your own wooden one(or antler). The tang on those is about 3/4 the length of the blade. Others may swear by full tang knives, but I have found that hidden tang knives can handle any reasonable tasks for a long time as long as the tang is at least 3/4.

They also make most of their knife models in stainless which doesnt stay sharp as long, but will not rust after getting wet or cutting food and doesnt need to be oiled.
MaximusFunk24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 02:08 PM   #7
geogymn

I carry a carbon Mora attached to the front of my shoulder strap. Beat the heck out of it using it for a multitask tool. Carry a quality folding knife in my pack for a backup but I rarely use it.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:04 PM   #8
daytime dave

I have carried a Victorinox Swiss Tool everyday for many years. It has many functions and I use it often. I rarely need the knife blade.

It has screw drivers, an awl (handy for leather repairs in the field), scissors, a small saw blade etc.

If I was choosing, I'd take a multi-tool. If not, then a Buck folding knife of some sort.
daytime dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:20 PM   #9
Limekiln

I own a lot of knives and carry whatever is appropriate for what I'm doing. Most often it's a Benchmade mini Griptilian. Under 100 bucks, made in the USA, lifetime warranty, and free sharpening as often as you want.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:31 PM   #10
Rainman

I also carry a mini griptilian. Have many knives, but this is the lightest and sharpest of the bunch.
Rainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:30 PM   #11
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

In order to survive, we need tools of some kind. I carry a very sharp fixed blade knife. In an emergency it can be used to make tools and if necessary skin animals or filet fish, make a spear for fishing or small game, notch sticks and logs, etc. It can also amputate an infected digit or limb if necessary, the blade can be heated and used to cauterize a wound. It can also serve as a weapon. So in a sense I consider a good sheath knife the most important survival tool I can carry.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:17 PM   #12
HappyHiker

Red Hawk, I guess if you are doing surgery you would be getting the stainless steel blade. I was thinking of the carbon steel. Is this the smaller what they call bush craft blade or the bigger survival kind?

Last edited by HappyHiker; 04-28-2014 at 09:29 PM..
Old 04-28-2014, 09:27 PM   #13
HappyHiker

To the Mora suggesters, if I do get a larger blade that seems to be the one. They have an older model smaller model with a fire sparker thing in the handle that looks cool. The newer survival knife could be a little heavy.

I was thinking in general on a dayhike it might be a good idea to carry a survival knife while with a full pack a smaller knife maybe all that is needed. With a tent and a sleeping bag I should always be warm.

You know this has been a good exercise for me. I use a jetboil and if the stove fails the pot maybe hard to use with a fire. I have to look at that again. Unfortunately it and my backpack are burried in my closet...
Old 04-28-2014, 10:51 PM   #14
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHiker View Post
Red Hawk, I guess if you are doing surgery you would be getting the stainless steel blade. I was thinking of the carbon steel. Is this the smaller what they call bush craft blade or the bigger survival kind?
I prefer carbon steel. Easier to sharpen. 8" blade.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:06 AM   #15
Cold River Bob
Bob in the Sewards

I agree with Hawk about a sharp fixed blade knife. I carry one of two knifes,a Buck knife , an years ago I found a USMC KABAR knife I put in my pack an use it a lot on my trips. I also carry a small stone to sharpen them if I need to. Its hard to filet a fish with small knife.
Cold River Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:41 PM   #16
HappyHiker

Well now we have some heavy duty knife guys! Are there any ultalight dudes carrying special light weight options?
Old 04-29-2014, 05:32 PM   #17
geogymn

My wife always carries an icy stare that weighs nothing (on her, weighs heavy on me) and is sharper than any knife. Most of the time she carries it concealed, which I think is illegal.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:44 AM   #18
John H Swanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHiker View Post
Well now we have some heavy duty knife guys! Are there any ultalight dudes carrying special light weight options?
In the old days I would carry a small fixed blade knife (Buck 4") and a SA knife (climber model). About 20 yrs ago I stopped carrying the fixed blade. Then about 10 yrs ago, I realized that I rarely if ever use my knife. I have the same what if scenarios going thru my mind but they never happen. So I switched to the Swiss army key chain knife. It has the scissors for bandaging and the little blade for animal killing and skinning (or the modern day equivalent which would be opening a food package).

My everyday carry is the same so I'm used to using it for daily matters

A few years ago I gathered together a lot of my old knives and looked at the total impracticality of them for what I might want in a knife today. So I sold many of them. Then I looked for the one replacement. I wanted something I could carry in my pocket....a lightweight 3" folding plastic handle knife with good steel and one hand opening. I choose the spyderco delica. Ironically I had a low cost Schrade knife of similar dimensions that I had found and now carry occasionally. I still rarely use it.

A few years ago I went on a 3 day off trail backpack trip and felt the need to bring more that the SA keychain knife. So I brought the Schrade. I never used it.

Then again about 90% of my winter day pack contents go unused.

I find I use and appreciate the scissors equally to the blade on the knife. This came up in a previous thread and someone suggested a small lightweight titanium blade pair of sewing scissors. I picked up a pair. I dont bring them hiking but could see the usefullness. They are sweet.

http://www.amazon.com/Westcott-Sewin...lader+scissors

Last edited by John H Swanson; 04-30-2014 at 08:02 AM..
John H Swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:08 PM   #19
madmike

Right here in NY. I get my Moras here. https://www.ragweedforge.com/SwedishKnifeCatalog.html
madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:37 PM   #20
Hobbitling
spring fever

I had a frost (Mora) in carbon steel that I kept in my "10 essentials kit", but I stupidly used it to butcher chickens and it ended up rusting terribly almost the instant it touched blood.
I want my survival knife to be bomb proof and maintenance free, so now I'm looking for a replacement in stainless.

I noticed that website sells blade blanks too.
https://www.ragweedforge.com/BladeCatalog.html
Looks like one of my summer projects is to get a stainless Mora blade blank and make a nice handle for it.
I might try making a folder from a kit too. I'd like something in a very hard stainless like VG-10.

Last edited by Hobbitling; 04-30-2014 at 06:24 PM..
Hobbitling is offline   Reply With Quote