Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2014, 08:43 PM   #1
Skinney
Natives

Article: Dog Poisoned in the Cats!

Hey All,

Its been a while since I have been on here, (lol, since trout season ended last year and I finished up my fall hiking).

Please read the attached. Is not Alan Via a forum member? His name is very familiar to me...and this article is an FYI for all of us that hike with fellow canine companions!

http://wnyt.com/article/stories/S3373735.shtml?cat=300L]
Old 03-24-2014, 11:26 PM   #2
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Excellent post. Sorry to hear of the loss. Our animal companions are like family. The poisoned meat must have not been there long. Makes you wonder if the perp was close by.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:11 AM   #3
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinney View Post
Hey All,

Its been a while since I have been on here, (lol, since trout season ended last year and I finished up my fall hiking).

Please read the attached. Is not Alan Via a forum member? His name is very familiar to me...and this article is an FYI for all of us that hike with fellow canine companions!

http://wnyt.com/article/stories/S3373735.shtml?cat=300L]
He is a member, but has been more active on VFTT in recent years, since he is one of the principals there now.

I hiked with them about a month before this happened, and Bookah was such an excellent dog in every way...she will be sorely missed.
“Death is the only wise advisor that we have. Whenever you feel, as you always do, that everything is going wrong and you're about to be annihilated, turn to your death and ask if that is so. Your death will tell you, 'I haven't touched you yet.” Carlos Castenada
WinterWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:29 AM   #4
Alpine1

I spend most of my time hiking with one or two dogs. What a sad way to loose such a great companion. My heart goes out to you Alan.
Alpine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:33 AM   #5
Skinney
Natives

I am really sorry to hear that and for Alan's loss Scott. Sometimes people just don't think before they act and don't realize their actions can be detrimental. We have 2 dogs that I take hiking regularly and they are literally apart of our family. I would be devastated, along with my wife and children...and not to mention I may have gone back to the vicinity and put a trail cam up if accessible. If someone put it there, and its gone, the probability they come back to check or restock is higher. If someone wants to control the coyote pop, shoot them! Don't poison them, cause then you take the chance of poisoning the whole food chain, imo. We have shot multiple coyotes due the nuisances.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:55 PM   #6
wellsley

Sorry to hear about Alan's dog. I don't know why anyone would do this. Are they that ignorant?
wellsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:13 AM   #7
Holdstrong

This is a horrible story, my heart really goes out to the owner.

I found the thread over on VFTT where this is discussed and there seemed to be some confusion early in that thread about the legality of poison bait. It sounded like the dog owner was getting mixed, confusing or unclear answers from the officials he asked. That is shocking to me.

The use of poison bait is absolutely illegal in NY State and any DEC, ranger or conservation officer should know that. The only registered pesticide for control of wildlife is one that targets rodents (and some birds, such as pigeons). None of those pesticides contain strychnine or anything similar to it.

The use of toxic bait to target any other animal or wildlife is both illegal and very ignorant.
Holdstrong is offline   Reply With Quote