Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > Forum News and Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2012, 09:03 AM   #1
HappyHiker

Question Book Reviews

Would it be considered bad form to post book reviews in the gear section?

The books would be outdoor related of course.

I have a few that I could post to get this new tradition started.

I am sure people have read lots of good ADK books that I would like to read.
HappyHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:22 AM   #2
PA Ridgerunner
Just a hiker...

I think ADK book reviews would be great! Not sure what category. I suppose guide books could fit into the Gear category...sort of.

Maybe "By the Fireside" would be a more appropriate category. What say the mods?

Rule #6: Don't take yourself so G.D. seriously. There are no other rules. - Zander
PA Ridgerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:56 PM   #3
Joe

I also would like to see book reviews. I'm presently reading "Exploring the 46 Adirondack High Peaks" by Burnside, and I would like to discuss this and other relative topical books.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:27 PM   #4
Buckshot

someone had review "fire season" on this forum. i bought the book and enjoyed it. i would recommend it to others looking for a good read.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:47 AM   #5
PA Ridgerunner
Just a hiker...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
I also would like to see book reviews. I'm presently reading "Exploring the 46 Adirondack High Peaks" by Burnside, and I would like to discuss this and other relative topical books.
Although a bit dated, I love that book. It was a wonderful reference for us when we began our 46er journey 5 years ago. I really enjoyed his historical references intermixed with the journal entries. Also, it was interesting to read the journal entries from early hikes with Jim, and later hikes of the same peaks with Ben...noting some of the changes such as the removal of garbage pits at the lean-tos, discontinued public access to the AMR bus, moving of some lean-tos, etc. I still pick up that book frequently.

Rule #6: Don't take yourself so G.D. seriously. There are no other rules. - Zander
PA Ridgerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:57 PM   #6
Joe

Yes, I am enjoying this book especially for the reasons that you point out. I also like the storys behind the naming of the peaks and who the people were who many of the peaks are named after. I actually bought this book anticipating that it would be more of a guidebook for hiking the peaks by way of his stories, but I'm happy with what it is.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:55 PM   #7
Gray Ghost
46er#6729

I had a lot of fun rereading chapters the night before I would do a particular peak. It is a fantastic read.
Gray Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:50 PM   #8
Huginn og Muninn

"Exploring the 46 Adirondack High Peaks" was the first book I bought about the Adirondacks some 15 years ago. I purchased it with intentions of using it as a guidebook, but find that I enjoy the history and anecdotes more as PA Ridgerunner and Joe alluded to. Usually if I am intending to do one of the peaks, I will also read the section beforehand and make a brief outline on a piece of paper that I'm not worried about getting wet or losing. The book is more of a reference to me and too large physically to really use as a guidebook. I do find myself pulling it off the shelf fairly often just for enjoyment when I am thinking about a particular area or hike.

Last edited by Huginn og Muninn; 07-24-2012 at 05:51 PM.. Reason: grammar
Huginn og Muninn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:23 AM   #9
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

From the Moderator

Absolutely, provided it's on topic with the forum...and even then we can stretch that a bit (for example, strictly speaking, Colin Fletcher's book isn't about the Adirondacks, but is about hiking)
“Death is the only wise advisor that we have. Whenever you feel, as you always do, that everything is going wrong and you're about to be annihilated, turn to your death and ask if that is so. Your death will tell you, 'I haven't touched you yet.” Carlos Castenada
WinterWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:03 AM   #10
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Just finished Matthew J. Glavin's "Adirondack Treasure,The Bonaparte Legacy".

This is an historic novel based on factual tidbits. Glavin gets into some political environmental areas while leading us through a detective mystery involving the locals of Cranberry, Tupper and more. Some of the characters are based on "characters" from the Cranberry lake area.

A fast and easy read for a summer afternoon.

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:47 AM   #11
TCD

The Mountaineer in Keene Valley is having a book signing event this Thursday evening; many well known local authors will be there:

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact....Qk9WDojw%3D%3D

(And a bit of self promotion, if I might: my newly published little guidebook "Life Under the Fast Lane", which describes hiking access points under the Northway, is now available at the Mountaineer!)
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:02 PM   #12
Edb 46 er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
someone had review "fire season" on this forum. i bought the book and enjoyed it. i would recommend it to others looking for a good read.
Buckshot

Could you give a brief description on fireseason?
Old 08-27-2012, 11:30 PM   #13
Vermont Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edb 46 er View Post
Buckshot

Could you give a brief description on fireseason?
I haven't read it yet but it looks good. You can read the reviews on amazon, the title is 'Fire Season: Field Notes from a Wilderness Lookout'.