Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2015, 01:44 PM   #1
bikehike

Lightbulb Hiking 46'ers - self supported, start/finish in Lake Placid, to trailheads by bike

I'm in initial planning stages to hike all of the 46'ers this summer. The goal is to start/finish from one spot (Olympic torch in Lake Placid is my current idea) and to travel by bike from start, to appropriate trailheads and back to finish. This would be an unsupported attempt to try to complete this challenge in 14 days. For the adventure of it and I will also likely be using it as a fund raiser for the University of Vermont Cancer Center. And possibly establishing guidelines for a challenge that others would like to take on.

This is being modeled after what Justin Simoni did in Colorado last summer. When he climbed all 58 14k' peaks (starting/finishing in Golden, CO and getting around by bicycle) in something like 34 days (if I remember correctly).

Does anyone know if anything like this has been done before in the Adirondacks? I am an experienced backpacker, bikepacker, etc. and do know how difficult this will be. I've been up 33 of the 46'ers and am currently working hard to get the legs (and head) ready for this. I will be carrying a Spot device so that I can be tracked and in the hopefully unlikely event that I encounter a major problem and require assistance.

Any/all feedback is welcome! I have drawn up an initial plan that looks possible. Of course weather conditions, physical issues, etc. will likely cause any plan to be modified before too long on the trail.

Thank you...
bikehike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 02:18 PM   #2
randomscooter
Native Earthling

Jan W. and Cory D. walked the 46 unsupported (including no food caches) a few years ago (maybe '09?) in 7 days. They started with the Sewards and ended on Esther. No bicycles involved.

"Pushing the limits of easy."
randomscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 02:25 PM   #3
bikehike

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomscooter View Post
Jan W. and Cory D. walked the 46 unsupported (including no food caches) a few years ago (maybe '09?) in 7 days. They started with the Sewards and ended on Esther. No bicycles involved.
Thanks! Yes - I've read about their hike. Pretty amazing... I like the idea of starting/finishing at one point without car transportation to start the hike or to get from the finish of the hike.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:09 PM   #4
Bucknut
46er #7721

You could be the 1st to bike to roadside trailheads. Go for it!
The serenity of a clear blue mountain lake" -John Denver
Bucknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 12:01 PM   #5
bikehike

Everything is still a go... Working hard to get as strong as possible with lots of strenuous day hikes over the past couple of months (including numerous back to back days) and bike/hike days. Heading out for a tough 3 day White Mountain backpack later this week and then will likely start tapering. Planning to start on 7/21 and just need to fine tune the gear/food list and complete research on the trail-less peaks that I have no experience with (Sewards, Santanoni's, etc.).

I'm also getting the fundraising for the University of Vermont Cancer Center started today and am hoping to raise $5-10k if possible (raised $7.5k when I rode the Tour Divide in 2013). Would anyone reading this post like to make a pledge? Or share this info with others? Below is the link for Google Docs pledge sheet (just type right into the spreadsheet which is automatically saved). I'm looking for pledges on a per peak basis as I know how difficult it will be to pull this off (suggested pledge is $1 per peak). But I'll be giving it my best shot.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...DQUmQuRcA/edit

Actually it looks like this is not working as a link. So please e-mail me at jeffmullen@gmavt.net if you'd like to make a pledge (or just respond here). Or if you would like to check in on my progress during the hiking/biking. I'll be carrying a Spot device and can send those interested the link to my Spot page which will update every 10-15 minutes or so with my current location (and past locations stay out there for 3 days I believe).

All support (pledges, moral support, additional info, etc.) is welcome. I'm looking forward to the challenge but it is a daunting one...

Thank you!

Jeff
Old 07-06-2015, 01:41 PM   #6
Vinegar

Jeff, are you on facebook? Would be easier to share a status update than just post your email address. You can PM me if you'd like.
Vinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:31 AM   #7
bikehike

Vinegar - yes I am on Facebook and that is where I'll be posting most of my updates, pictures, etc. All are welcome to send me a friend request if you'd like to follow along. Just search for Jeff Mullen in Richmond, VT in Facebook and I'm sure you will quickly find me there. I'll also be posting in the ADK High Peaks forum and there will be a link to my Spot page there.

Tags
46ers, hike/bike, self-supported