Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2022, 02:29 PM   #1
Ramblin'J

Cedar Lakes Trail WCW?

In my research I have been finding that there is a sketchy bridge crossing between French Louie trail and Cedar Lakes lean tos on Cedar lake trail, does anyone know if this has been fixed? Also, what are the chances of getting one of the lean tos this coming weekend? Hoping to be there by Saturday afternoon at some point.

Joe
Ramblin'J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 03:45 PM   #2
DuctTape
Out of Shape

The "funhouse bridge" over Grassy Brook is scheduled for repair this summer. It will be a big project and the DEC person in charge is not sure if it will be completed by the end of the summer.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 04:43 PM   #3
Ramblin'J

Thanks DuctTape. Any idea if it is currently passable?
Old 06-28-2022, 07:00 PM   #4
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin'J View Post
Thanks DuctTape. Any idea if it is currently passable?
It is passable. Not easy especially after (or during) a rain as the one section is completely collapsed. A friend of mine went through last year and made a video. I will find a link to it and post it.

Old 06-28-2022, 07:06 PM   #5
DuctTape
Out of Shape

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l164WDTH6J4&t=1155s

Old 06-28-2022, 07:21 PM   #6
Justin
Moving along

You can always follow that stream to the south for a short bit, where it makes the sharp bend and goes from Stony Brook to Grassy Brook (same steam) to the site of an old camp. I have not found any remains of the old camp but it is a fun detour exploration non the less, with many options for crossing safely other than using the fun house bridge debacle. You can still see & follow the remnants of the old road/trail to the old camp if you look for it shown on the map below.

Last edited by Justin; 06-28-2022 at 07:44 PM..
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 09:51 AM   #7
Ramblin'J

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
Thanks DuctTape, I appreciate the help. Think I'm going to follow Justin's advice and travel around the bridge. I'll probably decide when I see how bad it is in person.
Old 06-29-2022, 09:51 AM   #8
Ramblin'J

[QUOTE=Justin;290325]You can always follow that stream to the south for a short bit, where it makes the sharp bend and goes from Stony Brook to Grassy Brook (same steam) to the site of an old camp. I have not found any remains of the old camp but it is a fun detour exploration non the less, with many options for crossing safely other than using the fun house bridge debacle. You can still see & follow the remnants of the old road/trail to the old camp if you look for it shown on the map below.

Thanks Justin, I think my plan will be to go around the bridge as you suggested. I appreciate the advice and I'll let you know how things work out.
Old 07-12-2022, 05:55 PM   #9
Justin
Moving along

So how did you make out?
Old 07-13-2022, 02:04 PM   #10
Ramblin'J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
So how did you make out?
Hey Justin, I was hoping to put up a trip report and post some photos but I can't seem to login in to the forum on my phone so no photos for now.

After arriving on Saturday morning of 4th of July weekend and checking the trail register / talking with other hikers in the parking lot we decided to call an audible. It looked and sounded like Cedar Lakes was going to be a popular destination for the weekend so we took an educated gamble that Pillsbury Lake lean-to would be open and we were correct. We had a group of 4 and 2 were on their first backpacking trip so the shorter hike was likely a better option anyway.

We had the lean-to and lake to ourselves for three days and did some side hikes during the day. A pair of loons provided the music for the weekend which was awesome and we had great weather. The only downside of Pillsbury is the shallow muck lined shore that kept us from swimming but a hike over to Sampson took care of that issue; that lake had a beautiful site and a great setup for swimming.

All in all things worked out well and I think all four of us plan on going back to explore more of the loop. Thanks again for the info

Cheers!
Joe
Old 07-13-2022, 06:09 PM   #11
Ramblin'J

A few photos from the weekend...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 830A3560.jpg (61.7 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg 830A3408.jpg (52.7 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg 830A3532.jpg (84.7 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg 830A3575.jpg (64.9 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg 830A3633.jpg (148.9 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg 830A3539.jpg (103.2 KB, 122 views)
Old 07-13-2022, 07:14 PM   #12
ILikeRocks

Those photos are absolutely fantastic, nice job!
ILikeRocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 08:40 AM   #13
St.Regis

X2 on the great photos...If those pics are from your phone, it just reinforces why I need to get a new one
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 11:41 AM   #14
Ramblin'J

Thanks guys!

St.Regis, I wish I could say that I took these with an I phone, but my dumb ass likes to carry as much weight as possible, I've never weighed everything but I'm guessing the camera bag alone weighs 20lb-30lb.
Old 07-15-2022, 07:34 AM   #15
Justin
Moving along

Very nice!
Old 07-22-2022, 05:51 PM   #16
ahendin

New forum member here. So glad to find this timely tidbit, as I'm about to embark on a 5-day trip on this loop with one of my kids on Sunday, our first tour in the Adirondacks. Thanks, Justin. And Ramblin'J for the amazing photos. I need a larger pack... trying to keep my kid's pack weight down and cramming the bulk into a 44L pack, now with appendages. Hah hah.

Ramblin'J, did you by chance noodle around Puddle Hole at all? I was planning to explore up to Pillsbury Bay and around to Whitney Lake, but it looks a lot marshier on the USGS 2019 Topo map than is marked in the ADK NG map.

Here's hoping to catch some trout for dinner (and thereby lament carrying as much food), maybe spot a moose, and hear those loons. I've been looking forward to finding out what brought Noisy Ridge and Noisy Bay their names.

Abe

Last edited by ahendin; 07-24-2022 at 01:38 AM.. Reason: misspelling
ahendin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 07:10 PM   #17
ahendin

Hoping to find French Louie's cave, too.
ahendin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 09:13 AM   #18
Ramblin'J

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahendin View Post
New forum member here. So glad to find this timely tidbit, as I'm about to embark on a 5-day trip on this loop with one of my kids on Sunday, our first tour in the Adirondacks. Thanks, Justin. And Ramblin'J for the amazing photos. I need a larger pack... trying to keep my kid's pack weight down and cramming the bulk into a 44L pack, now with appendages. Hah hah.

Ramblin'J, did you by chance noodle around Puddle Hole at all? I was planning to explore up to Pillsbury Bay and around to Whitney Lake, but it looks a lot marshier on the USGS 2019 Topo map than is marked in the ADK NG map.

Here's hoping to catch some trout for dinner (and thereby lament carrying as much food), maybe spot a moose, and hear those loons. I've been looking forward to finding out what brought Noisy Ridge and Noisy Bay their names.

Abe

Abe, sorry about the delay. I didn't make it to puddle hole, just went over to Sampson and back. I would say plan for extra travel time as much of the trail was swampy making for slow going. Didn't search out the cave either.

Good luck on the brookies and the moose I was looking for both but didn't see either on this trip though it looks to be great habitat for both.

Hope you have a great trip!

Joe