No announcement yet.

Cranberry Lake 50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I may be interested if theres room, i plan on doing this trail some time this summer anyways. ill keep an eye on this thread as we get closer.

Comment

It can only get better as we add more people to laugh,joke and tell stories with..ALL ABOARD....
      ADK 46-R # 6750W
      CL-50 #51
      CATSKILLS 9/35
      NPT--Complete 7-6-13

Comment

Is there a guide book or a map you can purchase for this trail? or what is the best source for info on planning a thrue hike?
        -Thanks

Comment

within this thread is a book i intend to buy, other than that, read thru this thread and others for info, thats what im doing..i will read threads from the other forums too.
          ADK 46-R # 6750W
          CL-50 #51
          CATSKILLS 9/35
          NPT--Complete 7-6-13

Comment

Originally posted by whitefoot View Post
            Is there a guide book or a map you can purchase for this trail? or what is the best source for info on planning a thrue hike?
            -Thanks

viewseeker is right, read this thread and search the trip reports. While it won't be as good as a guide book, it'll will give you a good idea.

The map I used is the Natioanl Geographic Trails Illustrated #745 Old Forge/Oswegatchie.

Also go to the website: http://www.cranberrylake50.org/

and maybe, just maybe, bill (wildriver) has written up his adventure and will be willing to share it with you.
            "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal

Comment

ductape-- that was the map i was thinking about, that and all the great info wildriver and others have to offer..anyone with gps cords.? ductTape, you think 3 days one can finish??
              ADK 46-R # 6750W
              CL-50 #51
              CATSKILLS 9/35
              NPT--Complete 7-6-13

Comment

3 days should be no problem for someone in good hiking shape. The terrain is easy going.
                "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal

Comment

thanks for the info,
                  i guess i'll start reading and taking notes.

Comment

well if we take the 4th day we can really take our time and take some side trips or just sit by the fire abit longer at night. if you have any suggestions please pm me about the routesyou had taken
                    ADK 46-R # 6750W
                    CL-50 #51
                    CATSKILLS 9/35
                    NPT--Complete 7-6-13

Comment

Is there a lean-to near Bear mntn. on the CL-50?

And witch is the best direction to do this loop or doesnt it matter?

T .I .A

Comment

Is there a lean-to near Bear mntn. on the CL-50?

And witch is the best direction to do this loop or doesnt it matter?

T .I .A
                        There are no lean-tos that I know about near Bear Mountain. However, the loop does pass right by the Cranberry Lake Public Campground. Additionally, all around the Brandy Brook Flow and East inlet there are designated campsites.

It doesn't matter which way to do it, from what I've been told. It's completely a matter of preference.
                        Videos --- Camp Loonsong --- Mountains Climbed

Comment

There is a lean-to on Bear Mountain. It's a short side trip off the Bear Mountain trail which intersects the CL50 near the western trailhead (at Highway #3). It's actually on the Bear Mountain Loop trail which starts at the Cranberry Lake State Campground (campsite #27 ??). Some people start or end the CL50 at the campground but I doubt this lean to is a great option on this hike.

There are plenty of campsites peppered along the way but if you insist on using a lean-to for an overnight stay, your choices would be Olmstead pond, Cowhorn Pond, High Falls and Peavine Swamp near the Ranger School.

Clockwise or counterclockwise? There is no great elevation change so I don't think it really matters. I believe it has more to do with daily mileage and campsite selection. the long road walk might also be a factor.
                          Ripples never come back. -Genesis
                          CL50 #49

Comment

Is early may a good time to do the CL-50, considering ,snow, mud, bugs.
                            this looks like the only time i will have to do this this yr.
                            any thoughts?

Comment

Is early may a good time to do the CL-50, considering ,snow, mud, bugs.
                              this looks like the only time i will have to do this this yr.
                              any thoughts?
                              Early May could be pretty good.
                              Snow: You may see some, but only patches here and there. Snowshoes not likely to be needed, but wear gaiters to keep your socks dry. I did a hike in the area April 22 last year, and encountered some deepish snow in a few stretches. It was that rotten granular stuff and I postholed above my knees a few times. Keep an eye on the snowfall and temps in the area. Watch the radar maps showing the lake effect drifting across the SW corner of St. Lawrence Cty. Wanakena is within the northern boundary of the lake effect zone. Between that and its ~1500' elevation, it has the potential to retain snow.

Mud: It's generally a wet area to begin with, so in early spring you're likely to run into a lot of it. Again, watch the weather in the weeks before your hike to get an idea of what you may find on the ground.

Bugs: There may be a few out, but the evenings and nights are so likely to be cool that they won't be a problem in camp. Generally the b***k f***s come out in force around Memorial Day, so you'd only see a few advance scouts, if any.
                              MarkL
                              "A bad day in cripplebrush is better than a good day at work."

Comment

A couple more questions ?
                                -Are there any other sources of info as far as a (trail) description, i have the
                                ( Discover the Northwestern ADKS ) but that really only gives you a trip description. It does'nt really tell you anything about the trail itself as elevations, is it generally pretty flat ?

- Is cat mntn a side trail off of the CL 50? if so how far of a side trip is it?

Comment

Working...
                                X