No announcement yet.

Cranberry Lake 50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Area trails can be characterized as wet.

Originally posted by ColdRiverRun View Post
    How is the trail surface? Is it pretty consistent throughout? Has anyone noticed that sections might be prone to flooding? Has anyone gathered the elevation gain and loss totals?
    I grew up near CL. and did my first hiking out of Wanakena. The area is mostly gentle terrain, with much flat terrain prone to regular flooding and unscheduled beaver flooding(beavers are APA exempt) The old truck trail, which is part of the CL 50, has numerous beaver dams along it, and at times that trail is part of the dam for long, wet sections. I completed the CL 50 earlier this month, and found other sections of it to be similar.
    In addition, many sections of the route have ferns and grasses growing over the tread. Evening dew, morning dew, and any recent rain make these wet enough to soak you above the boots, and even above gaiters. The water then runs down into your boots. Plan on wet feet for a large part of the route. Got waterproof boots? Plan on wet feet...
    The driest section would be the Sixmile Creek Trail, which is on an esker. But just before getting to that trail after completing the Olmstead Pond Loop, [the info on the CL 50 site makes that loop seem optional, but it's a beautiful section, with views of 2 or 3 ponds. Also, if you're interested in the 50 mile aspect, I think the loop is necessary to get in the full 50.] assuming a clockwise route, there's a stream (Olmstead P. outlet?) with no good place to cross, so you might find yourself on the dry esker with wet feet.
    It's the Adirondacks, but it's not mountains.
    MarkL
    "A bad day in cripplebrush is better than a good day at work."

Comment

Originally posted by saveatree,eatabeaver View Post
      You can section hike it. That makes the 50 miles that much easier. Expecially since you can bike from wanakena back to the parking area for Cranberry Lake wild forest.
      According to the CL 50 site, you can hike, bike, or drive from the northern t/h of the Peavine Swamp Tr., that's at Rt. 3, not Wanakena. I don't remember the classification of the forest along the PS Trail, so I don't know if it's legal to bike the PST from Wanakena to Rt. 3. Even if it is, the official site doesn't give that as an option. They're giving us a big enough break as it is by allowing us to bike or drive the 5.6 miles between the PS t/h and the Burntbridge Pd. t/h.
      MarkL

Comment

Buster,
        Bear canisters are not required in that area, so don't bother packing any food!
        Originally posted by Buster Bear View Post

I will check with the state campground to see how much they will charge me to park the car for five days. Given the fact I will spend a night there before the drive back home, I hope they would give me some kind of a break. Not much of a difference in road walk distance though. Using the ADK map, I calculated approx 1/4 mile (as the crow flies) difference between using the Burntbridge trailhead and the campground as a starting point
        Several years ago I did numerous day hikes on the Dog Pond Loop starting from the Burntbridge t/h. I came out after dark every time, but never had any vandalism or break-ins. I also did one or two overnight trips with no problem. I've never had any problems parking at the Wanakena t/h's. I haven't heard of others having problems either, but I'm sure it's happened. For this trip, I parked behind the CL Library and Town Hall. There's lots of parking back there for cars w/ boat trailers, and I guess snowmobile trailers later on. No problem there. Also, the CL Library is located EXACTLY in t he middle of that 5.6 mile stretch of Rt.3, so it's a good way to break up the road walk. 2.8 miles of road at the beginning of the first day, and 2.8 miles of road at the end of the last day.
        I'm also toying with the idea of stashing a bike at the Peavine trailhead for the ride back to the campground or Burntbridge trailhead. How safe is it to leave my (expensive) bike near the trailhead for five days and then leave my backpack unattended for the hour or so required for me to bike to my car and drive back to pick up the pack? How safe would my car be at the trailhead?
        I originally thought of stashing a bike in the woods near that t/h, just in case my legs were hurting really bad. In the end I didn't bother. But if you're willing to stash it far enough off the trail, it should be secure. I was going to lock it to a tree too. Parking at the Rt. 3 trailhead of the PST: The parking area is far enough off the road to no longer be visible from the road. That may make it less secure. Also, FWIW, the t/h sign is about 0.1 mile west of an auto rest stop. People at the stop may want to stretch their legs and check out the t/h. How safe will the pack be? Again, nobody will find it if it's well off the trial. I didn't happen to see any rodents on the whole trip, but past results not indicative of future performance. That late in the trip, you shouldn't have much food left, so maybe you could remove it all from the pack and bike with it.

I'm still interested in hearing about the forum member's favorite campsites, points of interest and other suggestions.
        The section from Dog Pond clockwise to Chair Rock Flow was all new to me. Most of it was along an old dirt road, but at a point just under a mile from CRF, I realized it had narrowed into a footpath again, and I was in the middle of a thinly wooded area full of ferns and club moss. That was a beautiful spot, perhaps my favorite of the whole route. The Olmstead Pond loop ran close to the pond for what seemed like more than halfway around the pond. Very nice. I didn't visit the Cowhorn Pd. l/t on this trip, but I was there once before. A great spot! High Falls: a great spot, but disappointing if you don't understand that "High" is relative. It may be the highest falls on the Oswegatchie, but it's not very high. It's a great place to take it dip, with lots of rocks to bask on. The upper l/t is very popular. The lower one is on the other side of the river, and there's no really good place to cross, especially with a full pack. Canoeists are most likely to use that one.
        It's getting late, so I'll limit myself to 2 more items. Cat Mtn. would be a 1.5 mile r/t detour. Lot's of open ledges on summit. Used to have a tower. Views of miles and miles of rolling wilderness. It may be possible to make out one road, and maybe the Wanakena fire tower (which used to be on Tooley Pond Mtn.) The only artificial feature I'm sure you can see is a cliff which is the upper part of the former Jones & Laughlin iron ore mine near Star Lake. Basically, just lots of wilderness for 360 degrees.
        Communication: WiFi hot-spot behind the CL library. I think they keep it turned on 24/7. You may see someone out back with a laptop. It's that or a pay phone for contacting someone. Cell phones are worthless in that region, though that may change in the next 6-18 months.
        Good night.
        Mark
        MarkL

Comment

Nice hike and I thought you were "just" a hunter.
          Let there be peace on earth and good will toward all.

"One touch of nature makes the whole world kin."

William Shakespeare

Comment

Official website, Cranberry Lake 50.

http://cranberrylake50.org/
            MarkL

Comment

Check it out!

Recently developed 50 mile hiking trail that circumnavigates Cranberry lake http://cranberrylake50.org/

This trail should open up endless paddle/hike and hike/paddle options for those whose knees are not yet too "tired" - unfortunately that does not include me.

My understanding is that the Cranberry Lake 50 will "offically open" June 6/7 2009, during the ADK National Trails Day celebration.

Cranberry Lake: the perfect place to hike and paddle.

A great area for outdoor recreation just got even better.

Mike
              With due apologies to Neil Young: "Keep on paddling in the free world!

Comment

Only 14 people have completed the loop (including Bob Marshall, and thats iffy). Still plenty of time to be one of the first!!!
                No better time for hiking than during the fall
                Save a tree, eat a beaver

Support your local forest ranger, get lost.

I think that they should host a survivor in the Adirondacks. Both teams get a over under rifle shotgun, box of matches, and a petersons edible plants field guide.

Comment

Mr. chairrock,

If I read the Cranberry 50 website trail completion section correctly, congrats are in order for Mark L.

I'm an old fart that just paddles along in his kayak, and wonders where his knees' get up and go, got up and went . Did not to mean to imply by my post that I have completed Cranberry 50; sorry for any confusion.

Sounds like you're well on the way to completing the Cranberry 50 - good luck!

Been in contact with 5 Ponds Partners, and I understand they are planning a paddling project once the trail project is completed. Alot of people have ceretainly put in alot of work on the Cranberry 50.

MikeT

Comment

Hope it's not a southerly "paddling project" from Cranberry. Be a shame to see an increase of existing canoe thru-traffic in that direction IMHO.
                    Last edited by pondhopper; 09-01-2008, 07:41 AM. Reason: wordage
                    --"Pete You***?!, Pete You***'s grandson?!...That name is nearly sacred & uttered with awe in THIS house!" : The late Dr. Reed's wife, upon entering her house & being introduced- so to converse with her husband about the old days, a little before he died. The kind of greeting you'll never forget & reinforces your image of the hero you never met. --

Comment

pondhopper,

I agree with you about not increasing canoe thru-traffic to the south.

Personally I would like to see Cranberry Lake itself promoted more as a paddling destination as it has the size and infrastructure (i.e. campsites, put-ins, etc.) to accommodate the potentially increased people traffic.

With the Cranberry Lake 50 coming on line, seems a natural to promote hike/paddle and paddle/hike activities in the Cranberry Lake area itself.

My 2 cents.

MikeT

Comment

I just recently completed the 50. Looks like I'll be number 17. Funny before I left there were only 12 people who completed loop, get back to town four days later and number went up.
                        I put in at Eastern rt.3 trialhead. Hit the trail at 3:00 pm on the 9/2. came around full circle to car at 4:30 pm on 9/4. Had a great time others should try.
                        The trail is a bit over grown. As Mike L comented expect to get wet feet on trip. I wore some cheap trail shoes so I could at least have dry feet in afternoon when trail dryed out. Nothing like pushing threw waist high grass and brush at 6:30 in the morning for miles and miles. A fair share of blowdown was encountered, and much of the High falls trail from high falls to Wanakena is flooding over from beaver activity. Also there were around a dozen trail markers in that section. 8 + miles. Also there was a lack of any genral trail maintenance(looping, string trimmer,etc.) The south bay trail had some decent work done , but I think the DEC's trail crews efforts were put towards lean-to's and a few bridges.
                        Saw a few critters and some huge bear tracks in a mud puddle early wensday morning(3rd). Lots of interesting history to the area. Lots of scrap metal$$$.
                        The weather was perfect.
                        I stayed at curtis pond the first night, but I would reccomend dog pond, as there was little room to pitch a small solo tent at curtis. I took side trips to Cowhorn pond for luch, a swim , and a chance to dry out my shoes. I summited Cat Mtn early in the afternoon for some awsome views, and rolled into High falls around 5:00 pm. I was looking to stay there but the spur trail was heavily overgrown, and thought in 30 seconds of walking in morning I would be soaked so I pushed on to High rock and bivyed there. Good choice because its wet between there. from there its was easy hiking to Wanakena and past the Ranger school, onto the Peavine trail and back to road.

I would like to know who actually thru hiked the complete trail. I noted that Jamie Savage and Mark Lowell were the only hikers(and myself) to sign in at all four of the DEC trail registers and they also indicated they were hiking the 50. The only other register entry was by the three women who hiked trail in may, but they only signed Wanakena register and never even bothered to check off the checked out box. There were no entries at Cowhorn pond lean-to(I left one) and no register at High Falls.I also question if section hikers will hike road portion, or did?

I had a great time.Cant wait to Hike it again next year, only this time Counterclockwise and maybe stay at lean-to's.

Bushwhacking Firestarter

Comment

Chairrock, you were the other soul out on trail that day. I noticed entry, "OSS loop "you wrote I believe. I only ran into one person on trail on whole trip. I gentleman named Bob who had canoed up to Hgh falls.If you have been doing trail there and back you should get two patches and consecutive completion numbers

I won't lie I skipped the OSS loop.(Shame on me if you all must) Its a suggested route, and I figures the 4 miles of extra hiking on Spur trails would cover the lost 3.2 miles. I took a couple spurs to shore of Cranberry lake, Into cowhorn pond, Summited cat w/ full pack, High falls, Rock, and a couple other short side trips to check out interesting features. I really wanted to make sure I got up Cat Mtn. with enough time that day. I'd like to hike OSS loop next time around with a stay at lean-to.

I was thinking that the road section might as well not count if you can bike or drive section. I guess I was hoping to see more people talking about the 50 at registers. I am going to make a comment to 50 organizers to add a section to list, indicating section/or thru hike. The FLT has done this in past, when listing trail completers.

Bushwhacking Firestarter

Comment

author

I happened to be camping on Dead Creek Flow (Cranberry Lake) last weekend. When I stopped at the store in Wanakena, I was approached by a lady who told me about the CL50 and gave me a brochure about it. I spoke briefly to her and met her friend (husband?) - they wrote the article that appeared in the Adirondac magazine that I had received a few days before. They had two beautiful hand made canoes on their vehicle - small and very lightweight boats. I managed to get site 32 (actually, there were no other paddlers in sight), a beautiful peninsula where I spent a great weekend several years ago with my old Yellow Lab. Good memories (and lots of Pine sap!).
                            Last edited by ALGonquin Bob; 09-09-2008, 11:45 PM.
                            "Like" my FB page http://tinyurl.com/FB-BuffaloPaddles and visit my map ALGonquin Bob's "BUFFALO PADDLES" Paddle Guide

Check out my "Mountain Blog" http://tinyurl.com/BobMountainBlog2

46er #5357W

Comment

Regarding Cranberry Lake as a paddling destination - It's certainly beautiful, but the power boat traffic really detracts from the experience. Fishing boats visited my site's "private" cove several times on the weekend, and many more blew past the site. The flashing lights on the navigation buoys were a bit of a distraction on an otherwise dark night as well. The easy accessibility to power boats also results in more trash on the sites. I spent the entire weekend picking up cig butts and other bits of litter, and carried out 2 broken chairs. I had to leave the rusty and burned aluminum table on site. Having paddled and camped on many Adirondack lakes, I might not return to this one.
                              "Like" my FB page http://tinyurl.com/FB-BuffaloPaddles and visit my map ALGonquin Bob's "BUFFALO PADDLES" Paddle Guide

Check out my "Mountain Blog" http://tinyurl.com/BobMountainBlog2

46er #5357W

Comment

Originally posted by chairrock
                                Well done!
                                Cat Mt is always worth the trip, seems you can see forever and not see any signs of humans,not bad for not being a High Peak.
                                It helps the long-distance visibility a lot when there aren't all those big mountains blocking the view.

Comment

Working...
                                X