Cranberry Lake 50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cranberry Lake 50

Finally, the Cranberry Lake 50 is finished. As of now, Cranberry Lake can be totally ringed, using a combination of Wilderness, Wild Forest, and a little bit of Rt. 3. A website has been created to publicize the trail and a patch has been created for all those that complete the trail. (cranberrylake50.org). There is even a register for those that have completed the trail on the website (only 9 have done it so far).
    Soon to follow, a handful of traditional geocaches and a multi on all parts of the route.
    Last edited by saveatree,eatabeaver; 04-04-2009, 08:15 PM. Reason: it took over a year to realize my grammer sucked...
    Save a tree, eat a beaver

Support your local forest ranger, get lost.

I think that they should host a survivor in the Adirondacks. Both teams get a over under rifle shotgun, box of matches, and a petersons edible plants field guide.

SWEET! A PATCH! Now I have to start planning. Do you have to thru hike it or can you section hike it?
    How is it that you are heading west? Well, we face north and then really sudden like turn left.

Comment

You can section hike it. That makes the 50 miles that much easier. Expecially since you can bike from wanakena back to the parking area for Cranberry Lake wild forest.
      Also, can i assume you geocache???

I think that they should host a survivor in the Adirondacks. Both teams get a over under rifle shotgun, box of matches, and a petersons edible plants field guide.

Comment

Originally posted by saveatree,eatabeaver View Post
        Also, can i assume you geocache???
        Yeah, my family and I got started a while ago. We've not done as many in the past year because my GPSr decided to go swimming and really didn't like it. I just go around to getting a replacement for it and we'll be picking up again soon.
        How is it that you are heading west? Well, we face north and then really sudden like turn left.

Comment

Neato, I was thinking about a hike around the lake threw on that general path, but I didnt think of going back up the West side threw the ridge. I'll have to give it a whirl next year as I've already alotted all my vacation time. I love the Cranberry Lake area.
          Tech by Day. Nature by Night.

Comment

How is the trail surface? Is it pretty consistent throughout? Has anyone noticed that sections might be prone to flooding? Has anyone gathered the elevation gain and loss totals?

Comment

the trail surface is well traveled and neat. As for flooding, I can only know first hand of the trails near wanakena/cat mtn. They are quite flooded due to a little beaver activity and a lot of rain.
              Elevation change is minimal. Curtis mountain requires some climbing and trails near west inlet requires some switchbacking on the way down. As for total change, not enough to worry about.

Comment

I've done all but one short trail segment over the years, but it looks like I'll be doing the entire loop--roads and all--sometime this fall. The problem is I'll probably only have three days at most, so I'll be hiking fast and light. Fortunately, since I've explored portions of that area many times before, I won't feel like I'm rushing it too much. I'm hoping for cool, sunny weather!

From what I saw last year, there are a few portions in the Sucker Brook region that were vague and not particularly well signed. And the sections near the Oswegatchie River are perennially prone to beaver flooding.

Comment

I think this Cranberry Lake 50 trail is a GREAT idea. Primarily for the Cranberry Lake / Wanakena area which I'm sure would welcome the extra tourism revenue but also a great alternative for hikers looking for a "long distance" trail doable in a long weekend (a really short weekend if your name is RC...) or a nice loop away from the High Peaks region and the crowds that go along with it.

I was planning my second section (Piseco to Wakely Dam) of the Northville-Placid trail this fall (3rd week of September) but I've decided to switch and hike the Cranberry Lake 50. It's not often a new trail opens up and offers you the chance to to be one of the first few to hike it. I understand most of the trail (except for a 2 mile stretch) is well established but hey, you get a patch!!! Hehehehehe. I guess I'll do my next section of the NP trail next fall but I might switch to Lake Placid - Shattuck Clearing because I want to see Duck Hole before it disappears for ever.

Anyway, I'm planning to pick up the National Geographic Illustrated Trail map for the area and I do own the 1997 edition of the ADK (#2) guide to the Northern region which covers part of the trail but can someone recommend a single guide book which describes all the individual trails included in the CL50? Does anyone here have a spreadsheet or other file(s) with detailed mileage info and is willing to share it? There is some decent info available on the CL50 website if you follow the "Trail Description" link but I usually like to have as much detailed (accurate) data as possible before I hit the trail. Good (legal) campsites, lean-to's, groundwater springs, interesting views or natural formations, unusual flora etc.

I'm also interested in finding a good place to rest for a day after the hike. What's the best place for a shower, a beer (or two), a good meal and a place to sleep ( in that particular order...)? I was thinking of getting a campsite at the state campground and go to the Cranberry lodge to eat but I'd be interested in knowing about a cheap motel or B&B you can recommend.

I would appreciate any help from the knowledgeable members of this forum.

Cheers!
                  Ripples never come back. -Genesis
                  CL50 #49

Comment

Mr/Ms Buster Bear

Info to follow applies not only to apres paddling, but to apres hiking as well.

Wade through the post, the info you need is there

Enjoy
                    With due apologies to Neil Young: "Keep on paddling in the free world!

Comment

Originally posted by Buster Bear View Post
                      ...but can someone recommend a single guide book which describes all the individual trails included in the CL50? ... Good (legal) campsites, lean-to's, groundwater springs, interesting views or natural formations, unusual flora etc.
                      Yes.

Comment

Nicely put, Bill (always a man of few words).
                        "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Hey Bill,

I have placed an order for your book. You should have at least included a recommendation for a guide from a competitor to make it fair. Just kidding! I've been reading these forums for a while now and I always find your posts (and pictures) quite interesting/informative and to the point. I trust your knowledge & judgment and I'm convinced this guide will answer all my questions. I just hope it will arrive to my Canadian home in time for the hike.

MikeT:

Thanks for the info. I'll make sure to call around before heading out.

All:

I'm planning 4 to 5 days to complete it at a leisurely pace and want to take it easy on the first day (about 10 miles). If I start at the Burntbridge pond trailhead, that sees me in the Dog Pond area on the first night. Any campsite(s) in the vicinity? None of the info I've been able to find up to now indicate a legal campsite at Dog Pond. Should I start at the Peavine Trailhead, do the 6 mile road walk and find a spot at Brandy Brook or a little further on the Dog Pond Loop trail? What are my chances to to find available campsites on the 3rd Monday of September and for the rest of the week?

What are your favorite campsites along this route?

Cheers!
                          CL50 #49

Comment

Originally posted by Buster Bear View Post
                            Hey Bill,

I have placed an order for your book. You should have at least included a recommendation for a guide from a competitor to make it fair. Just kidding!
                            You mentioned you already had the ADK Northern guide, and that's the only other hiking guidebook I know about for the Cranberry Lake region.

The book went out in this morning's mail, so now it's in the hands of the Post Office. I doubt it will take very long to get up your way--a couple days, anyway.

You should find the campsite information you're looking for in the book, as there are several prominent sites strung along almost the entire route. Hiking mid-week in September you should have them all to yourself (no guarantees) except for High Falls, where I almost always bump into at least one other group. There are convenient sites located at Brandy Brook Flow, East Inlet, Curtis Pond, Irish Pond, Dog Pond, Chair Rock Flow, Olmstead Pond, Cowhorn Pond, Cat Mountain Pond, Glasby Pond, High Falls, Ross Rapids (Oswegatchie River), High Rock, and Inlet Flow. All of these should be easily found from the trail.

I would recommend going through the Cranberry Lake Campground rather than using the Burntbridge trailhead--this will save you some road walking. The campground is open in the fall so you might have to pay an entrance fee, but if you park there you can justify the fee by availing yourself of the campground showers at the end of your hike.

I think 5 days is the perfect amount of time for this loop, especially for people new to the area. There is a lot to see.

I have been wondering the best way to tackle the road walks myself on my trip. I might do the loop counter-clockwise, starting at the campground and walking through Cranberry Lake and Wanakena the first day. This way I'll be entirely in the woods for the final two days.

Comment

Thanks Bill!!!! I appreciate the prompt service. I'm looking forward to having the book in hand so I can resume the planning phase. That's where (almost) half the fun is after all... Glad to know I won't have to worry about finding a campsite!

I will check with the state campground to see how much they will charge me to park the car for five days. Given the fact I will spend a night there before the drive back home, I hope they would give me some kind of a break. Not much of a difference in road walk distance though. Using the ADK map, I calculated approx 1/4 mile (as the crow flies) difference between using the Burntbridge trailhead and the campground as a starting point. Granted, the traffic is way lighter on the Lone Pine/Campground road but hardtop/gravel will wreak the same havoc on my feet and knees and I'll have to pack light walking shoes or use my somewhat heavier sport sandals. The trail walk is also longer (assuming you mean using the Bear Mountain trail to reach the CL50) than just using the Burntbridge trailhead. Maybe I can get someone to taxi me between La Fountain Bay & the campground

I'm also toying with the idea of stashing a bike at the Peavine trailhead for the ride back to the campground or Burntbridge trailhead. How safe is it to leave my (expensive) bike near the trailhead for five days and then leave my backpack unattended for the hour or so required for me to bike to my car and drive back to pick up the pack? How safe would my car be at the trailhead? The longest time I've left my vehicle unattended in the adirondacks was for 3 nights at the Piseco town garage. I was a bit worried at first since it was right by the highway but nothing happened.

I'm still interested in hearing about the forum member's favorite campsites, points of interest and other suggestions.

Cheers!
                              CL50 #49

Comment

Working...
                              X