No announcement yet.

Pharaoh Lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ditto on the temperature thing. I avoid camping if the forecast is for freezing or below, but nonetheless I've spent a number of nights in the 20s huddled in the closed tent in my Hummingbird, wearing almost everything I have.

Comment

I was up to pharaoh Lake a little over a month ago and snapped this slightly eerie photo while staying at the Wintergreen Point lean-to (#3) with my iPhone 12Â…
      Photo is not edited or manipulated in any way minus the red circlesÂ… I have no clue what these creepy looking eyes are. The one on the right almost looks like some kind of ghost cat or something. There was nothing next to my boots when I took the photo. The ones on the left are next to a stick that I had leaning against the rock ledge there drying out the sun earlier. I have other photos that show the same thing. A little weird!

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Haha no way man, you will only find me camping at Pharaoh Lake during Nov or early April.

Comment

Oh yeah!!! I forgot - Hermit of Crane Pond... doh!

Comment

Originally posted by montcalm View Post
              Oh yeah!!! I forgot - Hermit of Crane Pond... doh!

Comment

Originally posted by Justin View Post
                I was up to pharaoh Lake a little over a month ago and snapped this slightly eerie photo while staying at the Wintergreen Point lean-to (#3) with my iPhone 12Â…
                Photo is not edited or manipulated in any way minus the red circlesÂ… I have no clue what these creepy looking eyes are. The one on the right almost looks like some kind of ghost cat or something. There was nothing next to my boots when I took the photo. The ones on the left are next to a stick that I had leaning against the rock ledge there drying out the sun earlier. I have other photos that show the same thing. A little weird!

The "old time" name for Wintergreen point was "Ackermans' Rock", told to me by the first seasonal ranger at Pharoah back in the mid 60's.
                Could be that Old Ackerman came to visit.

Comment

Originally posted by JimVroman View Post
                  The "old time" name for Wintergreen point was "Ackermans' Rock", told to me by the first seasonal ranger at Pharoah back in the mid 60's.
                  Could be that Old Ackerman came to visit.
                  Well I was definitely out on Wintergreen Point (Akerman’s Rock) earlier that day, and I paddled one of the 3 canoes/boats that was left behind along that long peninsula back to the lean-to, so I wouldn’t be surprised if one or two energies followed me back across the bay. Definitely lots of history and no shortage of momentos & memorial plagues have been found around the shores over the years. Ernie Skelley is another name I remember seeing during my visits to Pharaoh Lake.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin View Post
                    Well I was definitely out on Wintergreen Point (Akerman’s Rock) earlier that day, and I paddled one of the 3 canoes/boats that was left behind along that long peninsula back to the lean-to, so I wouldn’t be surprised if one or two energies followed me back across the bay. Definitely lots of history and no shortage of momentos & memorial plagues have been found around the shores over the years. Ernie Skelley is another name I remember seeing during my visits to Pharaoh Lake.
                    Ed Tuthill was the first seasonal ranger at Pharoah back in the mid 60's, right after the state cabin was built.
                    If I remember correctly, Ed was from Crown Point.

Comment

Hate to break away from the mystery creatures, but a quick question regardless of area. If nighttime temps fall into the low 30's consistently, how does that affect black flies in spring?
                      Are you hiding in the shadows - forget the pain, forget the sorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by rbi99 View Post
                        Hate to break away from the mystery creatures, but a quick question regardless of area. If nighttime temps fall into the low 30's consistently, how does that affect black flies in spring?
                        Not sure exactly how that correlates, but they seem to come sometime after leaf-out.

I know I've been swarmed by them just at the start of leaf-out, end of flowering period, but no biters.

It probably has something to do with water temps, but I'd say if the leaves are on the trees, stay away in May. June is guaranteed to have some black fly activity, usually pretty bad in the beginning of the month.
                        Last edited by montcalm; 01-13-2022, 08:38 AM.

Comment

This is the best pic I could find for an example of this. Second week in May. No leaves and no insects.

I suppose if you'd look close enough, you'd see the maple blossoms. The woods have a pink and golden hue due to that.

Comment

The black flies seem to come out around the same time each year, regardless of the weather that year. I think that's because they hatch based on water temperature, which is much more stable than air temperature.

Look for what I call "secret season." The flies are coming out on time. What varies is when it is warm and dry enough for us humans to enjoy the woods. Some years, there is an early thaw, and the woods are warm and dry, maybe even by the beginning of April. When that happens, you get the wonderful secret season for a few weeks, where there is no mud, no bugs, and no leaves (like in winter), but it's warm and dry out. Other years, the thaw is late, and the flies are already out by the time the woods is dry.

Watch for secret season; if it happens, get out every chance you get!

Comment

I'm sure "secret season" varies from area to area based on snowpack, temps and elevation.

I've always been able to find at least two weeks, sometimes up to a month of good spring weather before the biters come out. Then I'm gone.

I think the rarity is when you get the trifecta of no bugs, no snow, and no mud. Usually there's a little mud. I just go out in my boat...

Actually, from recollection if I was going to put in observable terms: ice-out to leaf-out. That's your best chances I'd say.
                              Last edited by montcalm; 01-11-2022, 10:59 PM.

Comment

Thanks. I will be up near Pharaoh either the week of April 18-22 or 25-29. Whichever week appears to have the least rain will be a major deciding factor. I like that the week of 18-22 has a lot of moon out compared to the following week when it will be pretty dark.
                                Are you hiding in the shadows - forget the pain, forget the sorrow.

Comment

Working...
                                X