Crossett Pond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crossett Pond

CalTopo shows a hiking trail on either side of Crossett Pond. If I'm not mistaken, the land on which the trails reside is privately owned.

Are hikers allowed on the property to hike?

According to the county tax info, it's owned by the "Crossett Lake Preserve, Inc." (with a small private inholding on the south shore). Googling that name unfortunately does not yield any additional results, however.

Comment

I don't think so for the the simple fact that there is a trail at Inman Pond that heads toward that property, but it just ends at the state boundary. I hiked this about 10 years ago and I know I hiked up to the boundary. I think there were signs there, but I honestly can't recall what. Might have just said "Forest Preserve" boundary. I know I turned around there.

Comment

Private land, for sure. In the 1960s there was a snowmobile trail that extended from Inman Pond through what was once the Crossett Pond Boy Scout property. The scouts had their own trail up Buck Mt. off that trail, as well. Parts of both were on older maps. The scouts sold it in 1995 to a Glens Falls business owner who's family still owns it. It has been heavily logged. It's not uncommon for digital maps to show old trails and both former and existing roads and I have seen a lot of that on private lands in Hogtown, including the former Girl Scout Camp east of Inman and the iron mines south of it. All private land.
        Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

Working...
        X