No announcement yet.

Mosquitos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

North Elba (Van Hoevenberg) and Keene (the Crows) were bug free yesterday.

Comment

In the southeastern Adirondacks, black flies have been more noticeable lately.
      Successful ascents: 137 (81 different) as of 8/30/22
      Adirondack/Catskill fire tower challenge: 13/31
      Adk 29er challenge: 11/29

Completed: Chester Challenge, Tupper Lake Triad, Hamilton County Waterfall

Comment

A couple of day hikes the last two days: Blue Ledges and Hour Pond Trail Head from Old Farms Rd. No black flies, no deer flies and very few mosquitos - lots of mud though.

Comment

I just spent a week in Long lake. Bug free

Comment

The mosquitoes were absolutely horrendous last week at the confluence of the Cold and Raquette Rivers. There were also a few spots on the Raquette below Raquette Falls were they were pretty bad.

Also mosquitoes still out in force in Schroon Lake today.

And I killed a black fly in Newcomb last week (hopefully, maybe the final one of the season?).

Comment

Yesterday, at the Mill Brook trailhead for Pharaoh Lake, the mosquitoes were enough to annoy. It is a late season.

Comment

Hiked into Colden from the Upper Works earlier this week and the only bugs were in the parking lot. No issues at all while on the trail to and from Colden, and I mean no mosquitoes, black flies, deer flies, etc.
                Are you hiding in the shadows - forget the pain, forget the sorrow.

Comment

Fished the South Branch of the Moose River in the Plains on Saturday. Mosquitos were pretty bad.

Comment

N of Pharaoh mtn

Sun thru Tues no biting or nuisance bugs, not even when hiking in the woods.

Comment

Backpacked into Colden last week and saw/felt nary a flying bug. Got back to Upper Works and while putting my stuff back in the car a single black fly got into the car. Little bastard bit me three times while I was driving. At one point I swatted him and missed, and my car swerved off the road. Not sure what happened to him, but I think he was sending me a message!!!
                      Are you hiding in the shadows - forget the pain, forget the sorrow.

Comment

Sitting out at the cabin this afternoon and they were aggressively biting us. Strangest year I've seen in a long time. Usually, by late August, the mosquitos are gone. I've never seen them this thick in late September. Very odd.

IMG_3329.jpg
                        Tick Magnet

Comment

They are always hungry right before they die...

Looks like a thermacell right between those two chairs would solve the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by montcalm View Post
                            Looks like a thermacell right between those two chairs would solve the problem.
                            That's exactly what we did!
                            Tick Magnet

Comment

Originally posted by Tick Magnet View Post
                              That's exactly what we did!
                              If I had that spot I wouldn't let some damn mosquitoes ruin it for me

Comment

Since I posted other comments about our Little Tupper Lake experience I'll add that these buggers were still out and biting in both the Old Forge area and LTL. Fortunately we had a breeze most of the time but when it was calm they were quick to attack. Certainly nothing I've experienced before on a late September trip

Comment

Working...
                                X