Hiking around Indian Lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zach View Post
    I've only climbed each of those mountains once, but my memory of Blue is that it felt like walking up a steep roof for a long stretch, just a continuous solid rock slope, and that Wakely was more broken up into uneven steps, which I find a little easier.
    Exactly

Comment

Originally posted by montcalm View Post
      Not to argue because I know everyone is different, but for me, Blue seems like a steady, but moderate climb. Wakely OTOH seems flat until it's not, and then it's steep, and it stays that way until you reach the summit.

I think on Blue you go like 1200 in a mile. On Wakely it's like 1200 in a half mile.
      Blue's first mile is 600' of gain. The second mile is 900' of gain. The trail levels off half way and even dips gently into a drainage. It crosses the drainage, turns left through heavy erosion (like a trench), and starts to climb up the ridge, gradually intensifying. I negated the ~150' gain on the summit plateau to only focus on the rigorous climb from the state wild forest line at 2800' elevation to the 3600' elevation. That happens in a little over a half mile. Caltopo is my source. https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=43.8...443&z=15&b=mbt Why the trail entrance sign says 1300 foot gain, I don't know. Contour maps show it's more.

Wakely is 1200 feet from the junction to the summit https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=43.7...724&z=16&b=mbt. Caltopo says it happens in .77 miles using the measuring tool and the tower is at .9. However, I think it measures as the crow flies without counting the vertical component. It always falls short by a few tenths compared to what the ADK mountain club and NatGeo Map numbers say. They say it's 1-1.1mi

I agree, Wakely is harder. The point I was getting at, is during the climb there are many small quasi switchbacks which can change someone's perception and experience of the climb. People tell me all the time about "that horrible second stage of Blue". It amazes me too. I actually like that second stage climb. It helps me practice pacing and is good exercise.
      Last edited by Lonehiker; 05-27-2021, 02:15 AM.

Comment

I was using very rough numbers.

I never really thought about the fact that people may find the "slab" climbing of Blue to be difficult, but thinking about, it makes sense. For me it was purely steepness. Neither are really that hard if you are decently fit, but I will say, if you're on the fence, Castle Rock has what I consider a really good view, albeit limited in range, and it's an easy climb physically. Also nothing boring about it with the castle cliff. We took my niece up when she was around 5 or so, and the steep part skirting the cliffs was a bit hard for her, but doable with help. Just something to think about with little kids. I climbed Blue the first time when I was a little kid and it was no issue. In fact I think I ran most of the way up... my Dad was none to excited about that.

Comment

Recommendations

Gentleman,

For those who responded, thank you all very much.

I've only been a member of this forum for a short time, but it is always refreshing to see the amount of assistance and advice given on this site. If ever a future meeting occurs, the first whisky is on me.

Looks like potential hikes will be Watch Hill, John Pond Loop, and Pillsbury, for now.

To the dude who mentioned a paddle across Indian then up Baldface: I've always had that one in mind for years. Sadly, my father (longtime canoeing partner) passed away back in March from covid. Might have to invest in a solo canoe now, or drag a family member into our beat-up Royalex Old Town for a trip in memoriam.

Once again boys, thank you very much.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisM View Post
            Gentleman,

For those who responded, thank you all very much.

I've only been a member of this forum for a short time, but it is always refreshing to see the amount of assistance and advice given on this site. If ever a future meeting occurs, the first whisky is on me.

Looks like potential hikes will be Watch Hill, John Pond Loop, and Pillsbury, for now.

To the dude who mentioned a paddle across Indian then up Baldface: I've always had that one in mind for years. Sadly, my father (longtime canoeing partner) passed away back in March from covid. Might have to invest in a solo canoe now, or drag a family member into our beat-up Royalex Old Town for a trip in memoriam.

Once again boys, thank you very much.
            For a shorter hike, I'd very strongly recommend Castle Rock over Watch Hill.

From the ones I've done in the area, my ranking in tiers of bang for your buck...

Tier 1
            Castle Rock (shorter), Blue (longer)

Tier 2
            Snowy (longer)

Tier 3
            Watch Hill (shorter), Chimney (medium), Wakely (longer)

Edit: my avatar is my son and I at the top of Castle Rock many years ago.

Comment

I only hiked Blue once, and didn't like it much. I usually like rock ledge better than other footings, but Blue had more sections of slippery ledge than most other mountains (and it wasn't especially wet when I hiked it). I have good balance but it got on my nerves after a while. The summit was nice, though slightly crowded, but I'm not in a hurry to go back.

Comment

Working...
              X