No announcement yet.

My best hiking companion is my dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

She'll hike as far as we will. But sleep in a lean-to? I'm not hauling her pillows, not even the extraforaneous ones in the shed.
    Attached Files

Comment

Here's my little one just prior to leaving Art Devlin's to start our backpacking trip up the herd path to Grace. After setting up camp, the next day just prior to climbing Grace, my Maggie was already on the trail ready to rock-n-roll, but my little Isolde had other ideas!!! Like a champ though, she beat me to the top. She's since lost her hearing, and though while she is in great physical shape, especially for being 14, I can no longer take her backpacking due to the hearing loss. If I did, I would still have to pull her off the sleeping bag!!!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by rbi99; 01-19-2022, 11:34 AM.
      Are you hiding in the shadows - forget the pain, forget the sorrow.

Comment

No way I was carrying that dang dog too!

Comment

Originally posted by chairrock View Post
          New best dog
          So this is what a dog's face looks like after eating an entire black bear!!!
          Are you hiding in the shadows - forget the pain, forget the sorrow.

Comment

Here is Darla, now 8. She runs and hikes with us and never takes off on her own. She is bit of a chicken. Her cousin, Shea, also a yellow from the same breeder up in Victor never wandered to far. I think it is because we didn't get upstate to p/u either until the rest of the liter had been gone for 5-7days so they feared being alone? We had to put Shea down at 5 because of Lymes nephritis. Miserable ticks and in-turn horrible disease.

Anyway we don't overnight, but run, swim and when upstate day hike with her - Hudson Gorge, Peaked Pond, Moxham, Hour Pond, Goodnow etc. I avoid taking her on my hikes into streams, I get one cast in before she is in the pool looking for sticks.

After we put Shea down one of my boys said to me "a dog has only one fault - it doesn't live forever."

Bob

Bob
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X