Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High Peaks this weekend - suggestions wanted!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Peaks this weekend - suggestions wanted!

Hello! Haven't posted in a very long while. I'm planning a last-minute trip to the High Peaks this weekend and wanted to get some expert advice for backpacking in shoulder season.

We haven't decided yet where exactly we'll go, but the general plan is day one we pack into a campsite, day two day hike somewhere, and then pack out on day three. Any suggestions on what to hit up? We usually do some peaks, but
    I have no idea how icy things are higher up, and the weather is looking ... brisk these days.

I'm starting to think maybe we should invest in some microspikes, as this is the latest I've ever gone up that way. Or if we should maybe avoid peaks entirely, but I don't really know where we'd hike...

Any suggestions or guidance on where to go would be much appreciated!

A few thoughts:
    • If you hike in AMR's lake road to Gil Brooks camps site you have the option of checking out Indian Head and Fish Hawks Cliff - they offer some iconic viewpoints. The hike in on Lake Rd is easy-peezy. Indian Head and Fish Hawks Cliff are close enough to the 3 Gil Brooks designated camps sites you may be able to do them on day one. On day two you could hike Sawteeth and then on to Gothics if you wish. Or what we did was full pack up to Nippletop and out via Dial, Noonmark, Bearden. In hindsight I would have left the full pack at Gil Brook and returned. Note AMR this year requires advanced registration but that ends soon I believe.
    • Rent Micro Spikes at ADK Loj, camp there or the back country. The Marcy Dam to Avalanche Pass to Avalanche Lake to Lake Colden is a nice hike and your certainly pass enough peak trail heads. But the corridor itself is pretty scenic.

If you are going to buy spikes research tooth length. The three most popular brands have three different lengths. We started with the shortest but are now loving the - longest Hillsound Trail Crampons (still spikes, not rigid crampons)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Eyes on the Forest, not on the Trees

Comment

Working...
    X