Trails at Adirondack Experience museum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trails at Adirondack Experience museum

We were considering hiking Castle Rock at Blue Mountain Lake during our visit this summer but after reading the reviews I think it will be too much for my youngest (almost 3) due to the rock scramble at the top, and she's outgrown the hiking carrier! Was looking into alternative options that still offer a nice view of the lake and noticed that Adirondack Experience has a couple trails- the Minnow Trail which leads to the pond and the Blue View Trail which leads to a view of the lake. Has anyone hiked these trails who can offer perspective on whether they are nice for younger kids and specifically whether the Blue View Trail is an easier option than Castle Rock?

Thanks!

I'm sorry I don't know the specific trail you're talking about, but I have been to the museum a few times and with young kids.

As far as Castle Rock, you know your kid the best. But if you don't know the trail, then it's hard to judge. I'd guess almost 3 is a little young, I know my kids would have not been able to do that, or most mountains up there at that age. Part of it is not so much that steeper part - it's not really even a rock scramble, more a steep, narrow rooted section that skirts the edge of the "castle". It scared my 5 yo niece when she did it, but she made it. I know it would scare my 4 yo boys, they don't like stuff that is steep like that. But it's not that they couldn't do it, it's more mental. I'd actually be more concerned with a young kid on the top where you need to keep a tight leash on them - it wouldn't be hard to take a long tumble off the "castle" cliff. I'd want to take a kid who was confident and who could do very good listening.

I would say close stuff like Bald and Rocky Peak could be done by young kids, but again, there are dangerous exposures and lots of people, so that kind of stuff I feel needs some maturity.

Personally I'd probably not spend much time "hiking" with a 3 yo. Maybe some short, flat trails but probably spend my efforts finding a good beach, or if they ride a strider bike, on some easy, short trails. 3 is a bit awkward and for my kids, they hiked but they were slow and distracted. 4 has been much better, and by 5 I think most kids have the maturity to do some of those easier mountains. But all kids are different...

Comment

Have you considered the interpretive trails at the visitors centers in Newcomb and Paul Smiths? Both areas have shorter loop trails that could be good for particularly young hikers.

Comment

I've never been on the Adk Experience trails. But if you're looking specifically in the general vicinity of Blue Mountain Lake, both Death Brook Falls and Rock Lake are good easy hikes that a 3 yo should have no problem with. (Don't let the name on the former fool you... it's pretty tame)

As mentioned above the trails at the Newcomb and Paul Smith's VIC would also be great for a little kid, albeit not that close to Blue Mountain Lake.
        Successful ascents: 137 (81 different) as of 8/30/22
        Adirondack/Catskill fire tower challenge: 13/31
        Adk 29er challenge: 11/29

Completed: Chester Challenge, Tupper Lake Triad, Hamilton County Waterfall

Comment

Working...
        X