High Falls Loop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Falls Loop

Any recent visits? I did not see any condition changes on DEC site, wondering about conditions/flooding.

Going up Friday to do the loop, unwind and hopefully climb Cat Mountain for once NOT in the rain!
    Last edited by rachelsdad; 06-17-2021, 08:09 AM.
    I sometimes put a wool hat or mitt over my nose, across my face, but not to cover my nostrils, just to keep my nose warm. You have to pay the piper somewhere for this kind of fun
    JerseyHighlander 2-2015

Mid April was my last visit.
    "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal

Comment

Well, I guess I'm getting old...or a softening of the brain from my bout with Covid.

I have not hiked in the ADK's in 15 years in June.....Now I know why.

I had the trifecta of skeeters, incredibly violent deer flies and oh...yeah, once the wind died down at High Rock the black flies came a calling....just before the rain.

Luckily I knew the weather forecast so I took along a book. Wasn't too muggy so all was good, been too long since I had a pack on my hips....felt that all night!!

3 a.m. my tent started to shudder...lovely rainstorm for about an hour.

At that point I decided the bugs in the section past High Rock would have been unbearable due to the heat and moisture. I bailed around 7 am after picking up a lot of gear left at the site by others...Sawyer Squeeze filter, sugar packs and assorted junk.

Went to my cabin in Star Lake and kicked myself all day. Warm clear skies with a consistent 15-20 mph breeze....probably would have been the first time I could have seen from the summit of Cat.

Oh well!

But honestly, even tho I am one of the fortunate who Repel L/E works for and I did not suffer a single bite the incessant buzzing in the ears from the skeeters and the dive bombing deer fly in the face were not fun...I must be gettin' old!
      I sometimes put a wool hat or mitt over my nose, across my face, but not to cover my nostrils, just to keep my nose warm. You have to pay the piper somewhere for this kind of fun
      JerseyHighlander 2-2015

Comment

I always figure that this time of the season is the best time to go into the woods for peaceful solitude and to have my choice of favorite campsites. You learn how to deal with the annoyance of bugs as a fair trade.
        "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Easiest way to get to Cat Mtn is to take a boat to Janack's Landing and hike from there. It's not all that far really and the trail was really good when I did it, it's part of the CL50.

There is one kind of sketchy, steep section on Cat Mtn that might be tough if you are getting old and frail, so find a friend or go soon!

The view is kind of meh, but the mountain itself is pretty cool as is the adventure of getting there.

Comment

Originally posted by Wldrns View Post
            I always figure that this time of the season is the best time to go into the woods for peaceful solitude and to have my choice of favorite campsites. You learn how to deal with the annoyance of bugs as a fair trade.
            Funny, that's why I like the Fall...

I've found for the most part anytime you get in more than 4 miles the "crowds" thin out. Anyone I chance to meet deep enough is somewhat a kindred spirit.

As far as taking a boat...I've kayaked from The Pine Cone to Black Duck for an overnight then to Janacks, Hiked the short trail side of the Loop as well but never seem to make it to the summit w/out rain.

Same thing with Blue Mountain...never got to the top without cruddy weather. I hear the views from there are nice....I even made a side trip during the NPT trek 5 years ago, nice day, hiked up from Tirrell Pond and by the time I got halfway up....rain!
            JerseyHighlander 2-2015

Comment

Working...
            X