Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2010, 02:07 PM   #1
wildbrookies

Eeeerrryyy!!

Hey,

Did anybody notice the spent ,decaying skeletal remains of a King Salmon lying in its watery grave exactly where the helpful gentleman netted and landed this Steelie for me...?? I know theres quite a few carcasses spread out all along the river ,but this is a little weird that it showed up in my picture w/out any knowledge from me that it was there..I actually hadn`t noticed it until about a week later when I added this picture as my background on my home computer...

Another weird thing happened that startled me a bit...I was fishing a deep run on the DSR and was totally zoning in on my drift and fishing in general ,when thissoft, but heavy weighted object tried to wrap around my legs...made me almost jump out of my waders ...it did get hung up on me as I waded closer to shore and finally noticed a huge King Salmon gasping for its last breath and wriggling alittle as it must`ve drifted downstream with me in the way...spooked me awhile not knowing what the heck this large object was...

Has anybody ever had something like this happen to them? Stories please..

WB
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:48 PM   #2
JW

I'd up the life insurance......
JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:52 PM   #3
Rusty and the Maniac

I was wading one time and saw a big (like over 20"), dead brown pinned on the upstream side of a rock, underwater. It was too rotten, or I was gonna pick it up and show it to my buddy and pretend I caught it.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:20 AM   #4
Creekwader
Snag Locator

WB, we all know what you were doing with that mud shark carcass, a little zombie stomp rotten flesh chumming
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:14 AM   #5
Wardens Worry

Always a good wake up call to get wacked in the leg by a comatose salmon.......spent 12 yrs. guiding floats in AK, more sockeyes than kings spluging by but very creepy, especially when your client hooks a mudshark and you have to release it......The chum salmon were always the most disturbing.........How 'bout walking the shoreline and stepping on the "dead" ones.......in AK its impossible not to. Often you will hear them.yep a really creepy noise. Try that at O'dark hundred when your trying to walk by a sleeping Grizz.....Perhaps the "best" dead salmon scenario, was a year when there were actually too many salmon on one particular river we floated. The trout/char fishing was very poor( no Oxygen) ........clients insisted on floating even though we suggested another river. The amount of maggots would boggle the mind..........gravel bars were choked with them, we had to spend an hour or more shoveling them off w/ the oar blades to get a decent camp site ( 3 guides) . Piles at least 6-8" deep.......it would make you dizzy to look at the ground because it was moving. Not to mention the smell. I am an avid cigar smoker, the clients would beg me to light up so they could eat! So, of course, 2 days into an 8 day float they want out........( this is b4 sattelite phones) we have a ground/air radio, contact a float plane and ask them to call our service and have them pick us up in 2 days........( we hope). We float 37 miles of back breaking pocket water in record time and actually do get picked up! We fly to another river (the one we suggested), and camp the rest of the week......we got lucky and got into some of the biggest bows you can find in AK! We could have very well ended up sitting at the bottom of the first river on some very unproductive water for 4 days........that'll make you run out of booze real quick...........Bottom line- listen to your guide!
Wardens Worry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:08 PM   #6
wildbrookies

Thanks guys!! Loved your guiding story Warden...sounds like you steered them straight after losing a few precious days out there in the bush...and you`re right ,a good guide knows best...

CW, now that you let the cat outta the bag...how do you think my brother and I catch all those big fat hogs!!

JW, I know..as I age, my wife has been thinking the same thing....

Rusty, that would`ve been a good joke...too bad it was too biodegraded(sp?) I would`ve fell for it...but ,later,I might`ve sent it to a forensic lab for an autopsy...

Have a good guys!!

WB
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:06 PM   #7
chaser
pond jockey

Early one spring I was trout fishing a stream along a deep bank, looked down to see a dead doe just underwater at my feet. The eyes were gone, just the empty sockets looking up. Moved upstream in a hurry.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:25 AM   #8
EagleCrag

I fish a few lakes in a small aluminum boat with an electric motor. I use a fish finder with this setup that has a shaft that hangs over the side of the boat with the transducer on the end of it. One day in the middle of a fairly large lake, I looked down at the fish finder and here was a garter snake looped around the shaft of the fish finder just going along for the ride. I have no idea where it came from or how long it was there. I released it from the fish finder and it then floated to the area right behind the boat where the eddy is and again, it just floated along for the ride with little or no energy expended. I finally had to splash water toward it to get it to leave the vicinity of the boat. It was an odd occurrence and the last time I saw it it was floating in the middle of the lake. I kept watching to see if a behemoth from the deep would rise up and suck it in, but it didn't happen!
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:31 PM   #9
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Long ago my eldest son Jesse and I did a long canoe trip through a remote area of Quebec. He was 12 or 13 at the time. We camped one evening at the end of a beautiful sandy bay. It was a nice evening and after dinner Jesse picked up his spinning rod, waded out and started casting a big silver spoon for Pike. He had to wade out quite a ways to get even knee deep.

As he was casting a large Pike cruised through the shallows and took up a position about 20 feet behind him. Well, that Pike saw the lure coming in, bolted right between Jesse's legs and took the lure just as he was lifting it from the water. Jesse, of course, was startled and petrified. his reaction was to throw his rod over his shoulder and run to shore. It was like something from a cartoon.

Ever the helpful Dad, I laughed until my sides hurt.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:35 AM   #10
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Another Startle Story

I was fishing one of my favorite small lakes in PA. I was trolling a black Baby Torpedo rather fast from canoe with a Minn Kota. I was probably going about 4 knots and the plug was only about 8 feet out running parallel to the boat. I looked down and saw a huge muskie swimming right next to the boat about a foot from my reel hand. It was right beside the boat! I was so startled I jumped and of course the monster saw me jump and disappeared into the depths. Talk about feeling stupid.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:09 AM   #11
BleeckerMtn

I had my first trip to the SR this year and I nearly messed my waders when I saw that first king carcass floating past the boat.

It made me think that there must be some productive fishing at the mouth of the river in the big lake. I could imagine some monster lake trout holding at the mouth of the river and vacuuming up chunks of salmon as they move past. Anyone ever hear of people fishing chunk bait on the big lake after the salmon runs?
BleeckerMtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:48 AM   #12
Edb 46 er

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbrookies View Post
Hey,

Did anybody notice the spent ,decaying skeletal remains of a King Salmon lying in its watery grave exactly where the helpful gentleman netted and landed this Steelie for me...?? I know theres quite a few carcasses spread out all along the river ,but this is a little weird that it showed up in my picture w/out any knowledge from me that it was there..I actually hadn`t noticed it until about a week later when I added this picture as my background on my home computer...

Another weird thing happened that startled me a bit...I was fishing a deep run on the DSR and was totally zoning in on my drift and fishing in general ,when thissoft, but heavy weighted object tried to wrap around my legs...made me almost jump out of my waders ...it did get hung up on me as I waded closer to shore and finally noticed a huge King Salmon gasping for its last breath and wriggling alittle as it must`ve drifted downstream with me in the way...spooked me awhile not knowing what the heck this large object was...

Has anybody ever had something like this happen to them? Stories please..

WB
Now that is spooky!
Old 03-14-2014, 09:50 PM   #13
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edb 46 er View Post
Now that is spooky!
Kind reminds me of JAWS!