No announcement yet.

Northern Pike Wilderness Trip Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While not fishing for them and not having the proper leader I have had several strikes from Muskies. It's like pulling a log in until they see your boat or you and then they bite through the line and are gone.
    Never Argue With An Idiot. They Will Drag You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

Comment

Pike and muskies have gripping teeth, not cutting teeth.

Comment

Originally posted by JimVroman View Post
        Well, after catching literally hundreds of northern pike (my buddies and I kept count each season) on the Black River while I was growing up, I quickly learned you never want to fish for pike without using a steel leader. I can't tell you how many of my father's antique lures I lost in the early days due to pike"s "gripping teath" cutting the line before I learned my lesson.
        "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Originally posted by Wldrns View Post
          Well, after catching literally hundreds of northern pike (my buddies and I kept count each season) on the Black River while I was growing up, I quickly learned you never want to fish for pike without using a steel leader. I can't tell you how many of my father's antique lures I lost in the early days due to pike"s "gripping teath" cutting the line before I learned my lesson.
          Well stated Paul. A Pike or Muskie will BITE YOU OUT OF ANGER if YOUR HAND GETS TOO CLOSE AND IT DOESN'T "GRIP" LIKE A BEAR, IT SLICES THE LIVINI S___ OUT OF YOUR HAND BECAUSE THE TEETH ARE LIKE RAZOR BLADES AND SHARP AS HELL. It will slice right through 50 lb line if you do not have a substantial leader. There are rows upon rows of sharp predator teeth so the effect is like a razor blade even if the teeth look like they are only for gripping.
          Never Argue With An Idiot. They Will Drag You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Schultzz View Post
            Well stated Paul. A Pike or Muskie BITE SLICES THE LIVINIG S___ OUT OF YOUR HAND
            Amen to that....Pike, pickerel, muskie...if you want to catch these buggers use a leader and watch your hands. If they get you, you will know it. There will be blood (your blood) everywhere.

Comment

be sure you have a good pair of long needle nose pliers. And don't lift the fish with your fingers by the lower jaw as is typically done with bass.
              "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Originally posted by mgc View Post
                Amen to that....Pike, pickerel, muskie...if you want to catch these buggers use a leader and watch your hands. If they get you, you will know it. There will be blood (your blood) everywhere.
                I've heard divers say that if you ever saw the size of the northern pike in Lake George people wouldn't to skinny dipping there!
                Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

Originally posted by Buckladd View Post
                  I've heard divers say that if you ever saw the size of the northern pike in Lake George people wouldn't to skinny dipping there!
                  I saw one which was landlocked in a pool beneath a dam that ate everything that came over the dam. This monster had to be nearly six feet long with jaws like a tiger. It was bigger than some Muskies I have seen. It was waiting for its next meal.

Comment

Originally posted by Schultzz View Post
                    I saw one which was landlocked in a pool beneath a dam that ate everything that came over the dam. This monster had to be nearly six feet long with jaws like a tiger. It was bigger than some Muskies I have seen. It was waiting for its next meal.

Comment

Originally posted by JimVroman View Post

Comment

Technically, pike and their toothy relatives do have gripping teeth. Unlike some fish like sharks and piranhas that remove hunks of flesh, pike typically bite, hold, kill, then swallow their prey whole. However, they do have many sharp teeth that will easily cut lines and the fingers and hands of people that are not careful

Comment

Originally posted by St.Regis View Post
                          Technically, pike and their toothy relatives do have gripping teeth. Unlike some fish like sharks and piranhas that remove hunks of flesh, pike typically bite, hold, kill, then swallow their prey whole. However, they do have many sharp teeth that will easily cut lines and the fingers and hands of people that are not careful
                          Yes you are correct and technically so is Jim V. I'm just having some good-natured fun with Mr. Hardscrabble.

Comment

Went with some advice here and spent 7 days moving between Piseco, Mud Lake and Spy Lake and the fishing was amazing. Obviously no Northern Pike in those waters but the Bass and Pickerel fishing was excellent. Broke my PB Largemouth record for the second time this year and hooked into tons of really nice Smallmouth and Pickerel. Will put up a full trip report with pictures and a video soon! Thanks again to everyone who was tossing advice and locations at me! Lots of future trips planned based on this thread.
                            --------------------------------------------------------------
                            And lungs are poisoned and shoulders bowed,
                            In the smothering reek of mill and mine;
                            And death stalks in on the struggling crowd?
                            But he shuns the shadow of the oak and pine?
                            ― George W. Sears Nessmuk, Woodcraft and Camping

Comment

Working...
                            X