Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2020, 08:35 PM   #41
Woodly

I like it-suicidal deer.
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 09:12 PM   #42
sleepy

Just got back from a week long trip to Tupper Lake area. Weather was tough, almost 70 for half the week but this is the time I had so we made the most of it. My son and I both missed an absolute monster early in the week. We both sighted are rifles in before the trip so we couldn't blame the equipment. We saw a good amount of deer for the area and saw another nice buck cross the road on a drive in one morning which definitely kept our spirits up. Thank fully I was able to connect on Thursday just before dark with a 9 pointer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0260.JPG (141.9 KB, 374 views)
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 08:42 AM   #43
geogymn

Nice! Congrats!
Old 11-15-2020, 07:48 PM   #44
Mallard1100

Congrats guys! I wish I would have had the same luck. Hunting was down right terrible for my camp. We hunted everywhere. Temps into the 70s all week for the most part. Little to no buck sign. Plenty of tracks but I’m sure all nocturnal movement. 5 guys hunting for a week we only saw 2 doe. What a difference from this time Last year. Always a great time at camp with good friends but for us the crap year that is 2020 continued onto deer camp.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Mallard1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 09:43 PM   #45
Buckladd

We put in a solid three days this past weekend, Fri-Sun, knowing it's likely the best time of the fall and before some of the gang heads south. We saw bucks every single day, including a little guy I saw. A few slipped through the drives but not this guy. He tried sneaking by my cousin's wife and didn't make it. A perfect 10 with a kicker point at the base. She was pretty tickled, and so was our gang.

Back at this weekend in the ADK's
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 125269738_3708177515893280_95706293864431530_o.jpg (85.9 KB, 320 views)
Old 11-16-2020, 10:31 PM   #46
Woodly

A beautiful buck, congratulations
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 08:04 AM   #47
geogymn

Great buck!
Old 11-18-2020, 05:09 PM   #48
skillzman1

Impressive Buck! Being in the woods is never a loss even if we don't harvest.
Old 11-19-2020, 10:26 AM   #49
chaser
pond jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian248 View Post
Good morning, anyone want to share your story of how you setup a hunting camp in a remote location in the Adirondacks? (How/why you picked the location, challenges you faced, things you’d do differently) Be careful with long responses might have to write in notes first and copy paste, I’ve had the forum “time-out” on me if I take too long to write.
What kind of camp are you are you looking to set up Brian? Wall tent, spike camp/tipi, rough it and freeze in a 3 season tent, etc., I've done all 3.
Old 11-19-2020, 10:29 AM   #50
chaser
pond jockey

Nice bucks everyone. My nephew got a 9 pointer on Monday up to our tent. 2.5 mile drag in a Jet Sled took a while.
Old 11-19-2020, 11:17 AM   #51
Stillhunter

Great buck Buckladd... congratulations to her and your gang. Very memorable hunt for sure.

Our group hunted from 11/6 to 11/14. 5 of those days were T shirt weather. Plenty of sign but they seemed to be locked down with does and not moving at all. Every 3 days a nice 8 point showed up on my trail cam on a rub and scrape. One of our young group members got his first Adirondack buck. A 5 pointer. He was walking and grunting and the buck came right in on him. Made a good quick running shot as the buck realized he was in a predicament. I watched 2 otters playing on a lake one day. They were talking to me!
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 08:10 AM   #52
geogymn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhunter View Post
Great buck Buckladd... congratulations to her and your gang. Very memorable hunt for sure.

Our group hunted from 11/6 to 11/14. 5 of those days were T shirt weather. Plenty of sign but they seemed to be locked down with does and not moving at all. Every 3 days a nice 8 point showed up on my trail cam on a rub and scrape. One of our young group members got his first Adirondack buck. A 5 pointer. He was walking and grunting and the buck came right in on him. Made a good quick running shot as the buck realized he was in a predicament. I watched 2 otters playing on a lake one day. They were talking to me!
What did they say?
Old 11-24-2020, 12:12 AM   #53
Stillhunter

Hard to describe but they were cackling at me. I was above them on a rock ledge and I think they felt safe. Wish I had turned on my phones video camera. May never experience that again. I will try to post a distant picture of them.
Old 11-24-2020, 07:22 PM   #54
electbc
Outdoorsman

I wonder how these guys made out.
Town of Ohio
Herkimer County
Wilderness Enforcement: On Nov. 13, Forest Rangers Hanno and McCartney discovered an illegal camp near a remote pond in the West Canada Lake Wilderness Area. Upon further investigation, the Forest Rangers observed multiple state land violations. On the evening of Nov. 19, the Rangers apprehended two hunters from Forestport occupying the camp. An interview with the two hunters revealed the pair was responsible for cutting out a trail, cutting 14 trees to build their camp, using a chainsaw in a wilderness area, storing personal property on state land, camping violations, and landing a plane on a prohibited body of water in a wilderness area. Forest Rangers issued multiple appearance tickets for the various offenses.

Tent in the woods made of various trees and tarps
Illegal camp in town of Ohio
electbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:40 PM   #55
bobadkhunter

Congrats to all the successful hunters in this thread. I hunt in Sabattis, NY (town of Long Lake), and even though we went through that warm spell our club took 4 bucks from 11/7 thru 11/11 including myself with a nice 164 lb. 8 pt(broken tine or would have been a 9 pt.). All 4 bucks(188,168,164,108 lbs) were alone, it was between 55-70 degrees out, i myself was watching an area that was literally tore up with over 15 scrapes and a few rubs. The warm weather didnt stop these bucks from doing what they do. They probably dont travel as far/much(because of the warm temps) but they certainly were on their feet and doing what bucks do at this time of the year. As Mallard stated above, this season and last have been like nite and day. But our results were better this year with the warm weather than last years with early brutal cold and too much early snow. As with all hunting seasons you have to deal with what mother nature doles out and make the best of it. Everyone have a blessed Thanksgiving Hol. and enjoy the remainder of our up and down(weather wise) big game season.
bobadkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 11:17 AM   #56
Stillhunter

Great report and comments bobadkhunter. Sounds like you had a great season. It sounds like you found the core area for your buck. What time of day did you get him? What calendar day? Great job.
Old 11-28-2020, 12:45 PM   #57
Stillhunter

Here are the two otters that I mentioned were "talking" to me in my earlier post...

Last edited by Stillhunter; 11-28-2020 at 12:59 PM..
Old 11-29-2020, 08:28 AM   #58
St.Regis

Cool pic SH
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 11:33 AM   #59
bobadkhunter

Yes very cool pic SH, they are one of my favorite animals to view. To answer your question SH, i took my buck on 11/11 at about 7:15 after grunting a few times and literally sitting for less than 5 min. , he came in on a string, it was amazing(right place , right time), i know two of the other bucks were taken on 11/10 at 8:15 and 10:30 in the a.m.. We took another 4 pt. this past week, but it appears most mature bucks are with does because there was not much at all on members cameras(scrapes or trails).
bobadkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 02:06 PM   #60
Stillhunter

Thanks for that info Bob...
where we were, approximately 30 miles south of you, we did not see the kind of movement we were hoping for during that stretch. Our conclusion was they had locked down with does and were not running around checking and making scrapes anymore. We specifically chose to move our hunt dates up to try to catch the peak of the seeking and chasing. Next year we are going to hunt the last week of the season as has been out tradition and hope for snow and tired out bucks!