Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2015, 12:46 PM   #1
Gman

Float tube fins

I bought a pair of slip in float tube fins and they won't go over either pair of my wading boots (even though they are advertised they do).

I'd prefer to keep them rather than take them back and get a pair of step in ones. Any other alternatives to wading boots that work well?
Old 04-20-2015, 01:09 PM   #2
gmorin71

you wear wading boots when float tubing? just put them over the stocking foot or get a pair of crocs or water shoes. definitely not wading boots
gmorin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 01:09 PM   #3
Glen
Check please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman View Post
I bought a pair of slip in float tube fins and they won't go over either pair of my wading boots (even though they are advertised they do).

I'd prefer to keep them rather than take them back and get a pair of step in ones. Any other alternatives to wading boots that work well?
Gman,

Numerous threads on this topic. The end result was many of us are using Crocs. They are light, dry fast and work for walking around camp. Vtflyfish prefers pink. Mine are black.
“Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
― Cormac McCarthy
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 01:37 PM   #4
Gman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmorin71 View Post
you wear wading boots when float tubing? just put them over the stocking foot or get a pair of crocs or water shoes. definitely not wading boots
The last thing I owned that floated was a 19 ft. Stratus. I have had canoes but just about all my trout fishing has been in moving water. This float tube stuff is all new to me.

Thanks guys Crocs it is.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:56 PM   #5
gmorin71

i might try crocs too. right now i just use the stocking foot but thats not ideal for a number of reasons. my concern was always that crocs arent secure on your feet so do the fins stay snug?
Old 04-21-2015, 11:22 AM   #6
Glen
Check please

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmorin71 View Post
i might try crocs too. right now i just use the stocking foot but thats not ideal for a number of reasons. my concern was always that crocs arent secure on your feet so do the fins stay snug?
The Crocs stay on pretty well if you get the right size. You want to have to stretch the ankle strap pretty good to get them on. The fins I use (Cabelas ultra lights) have their own ankle and top buckle so they are not going anywhere.
“Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
― Cormac McCarthy
Old 04-21-2015, 11:49 AM   #7
gmorin71

I use the creek company lightweight fins and your foot basically just sits on top of the fin so a loose fitting shoe would equal a loose fitting fin regardless. I will check into the cabelas ones though because, it may just be a complex of mine, but i hate every step i take on the bare stockingfoot as i feel that i am wearing out the waders.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:24 PM   #8
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
The Crocs stay on pretty well if you get the right size. You want to have to stretch the ankle strap pretty good to get them on. The fins I use (Cabelas ultra lights) have their own ankle and top buckle so they are not going anywhere.
This is rich. For YEARS Glen refused to wear crocs and made snide comments about UpstateDave and I using them. He refused to give up his stupid beach sandals that were slimy and disgusting when he went to pack up. Now he sings the praises of Crocs as if he invented them...
Old 04-21-2015, 05:21 PM   #9
Glen
Check please

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtflyfish View Post
This is rich. For YEARS Glen refused to wear crocs and made snide comments about UpstateDave and I using them. He refused to give up his stupid beach sandals that were slimy and disgusting when he went to pack up. Now he sings the praises of Crocs as if he invented them...

I only objected to the fluorescent pastels you guys were wearing. The fish were fleeing the area. Mine in black however are quite tasteful and as you know from personal experience, are actual fish attractors.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:22 PM   #10
serotonin
ember

Quote:

I'd prefer to keep them rather than take them back
Gman,

By any chance, are these the fins you purchased?
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Creek...0002927&rid=20

They were designed to accept up to size 10 wading boots.
serotonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:29 PM   #11
Gman

Yep....so you're telling me I am screwed? I bought the wrong fins?

Well it's ViTo and Glens fault. They were supposed to babysit me on all this but they left me twisting in the wind.

Last edited by Gman; 04-21-2015 at 08:31 PM.. Reason: iPhone!!!!!!
Gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:42 PM   #12
Stillhunter

Took the plunge...

I just took the plunge so to speak and ordered a new float tube (Creek 420 UL, the red one) to replace my old round Caddis inner tube model that floated way to low in the water. Added a set of Outcast Backpack fins to go with it:

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/produ...7e254c152d90fa

Supposed to arrive by 4/29 but hopefully sooner. Can't wait. Oh and also bought the clear intermediate sinking line by SA that Vt used to outfish Glenn and his son with.

This is one way to deplete the old retirement account!!
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:06 PM   #13
Stillhunter

Great gear info sharing...

Based on all the great gear discussions, humorous stories, photos and accounts of gear and technique "trials and errors" I hopefully can avoid some early learning curve tubing pitfalls.

Thanks guys.
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:54 PM   #14
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:

Well it's ViTo and Glens fault. They were supposed to babysit me on all this but they left me twisting in the wind.
So go out and buy a pair of Crocs. Bright pink. And get a matching tutu. Trust me on this one.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:06 PM   #15
Gman

I can't find a tutu to fit off the rack. I'll email my measurements to Sero and have him make me one. It's iust after 11.....he should punching soon for the graveyard shift.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:43 AM   #16
ehsfishin72

Last yr. was my first w/ a float tube and I went on the cheap side w/ the fins, which i quickly regretted. You can't imagine how tricky the tube is w/ only 1 flipper.....
ehsfishin72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:36 AM   #17
Glen
Check please

Quote:

These are the fins:

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/produ...927%26rid%3D20

They will work great with the Crocs and not come off.I usually get into the water, sit in the tube and then put them on. Not fun to walk in on land.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:40 AM   #18
Gman

Nope they're not the ones I have. My flippers are closed with a strap in back
Old 04-22-2015, 10:45 AM   #19
gmorin71

those ARE the ones i have! i was concerned that crocs wouldnt work with them but if they work fine for you then heck ill give it a go.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:07 PM   #20
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

I own both kinds and they both work with Crocs.