Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2015, 08:37 PM   #81
mmaute
Cascadia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekwader View Post
Rudeness is a highly subjective term. So basically you are saying people shouldn't have expressed their factual views in response to the Acid rain stuff? Jim made some factually incorrect comments about acid rain, he got called out. Is that rude? Personally, I pointed out a highly informative book that should be in everyone's library if they have a passing interest in acid rain. Was that rude?

You are correct, moderators aren't going to step in on the disclosure of spots but you will get a rash of crap from the forum members. If people want to spot burn, I suggest iceshanty or myfishfinder.
Rude is making veiled comments about being a fool or telling someone you don't like their opinion so they should go somewhere else (to another forum) if they want to sound smart.

My comments weren't in regard to the acid rain issue. And as I've said, as long as comments are respectful, I have no issue with anyone sharing their opinions or responding to someone's opinions they feel are incorrect.

In terms of others criticizing those who identify fishing spots, I certainly respect their right to express their opinion why they think it's a bad idea. But I don't support personally criticizing someone.....I view the purpose of a forum as exchanging thoughts, not personally attacking everyone who doesn't share your opinion.
mmaute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:44 PM   #82
Creekwader
Snag Locator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaute View Post
Rude is making veiled comments about being a fool or telling someone you don't like their opinion so they should go somewhere else (to another forum) if they want to sound smart.

My comments weren't in regard to the acid rain issue. And as I've said, as long as comments are respectful, I have no issue with anyone sharing their opinions or responding to someone's opinions they feel are incorrect.

In terms of others criticizing those who identify fishing spots, I certainly respect their right to express their opinion why they think it's a bad idea. But I don't support personally criticizing someone.....I view the purpose of a forum as exchanging thoughts, not personally attacking everyone who doesn't share your opinion.
This forum is probably the most tightly controlled public forums I've ever seen on the internet. If the mods found anything objectionable about any of the comments directed toward Jim, they would have deleted the offending passages and either warned or banned the sender. I've seen this happen many times in the past. If you have a problem with some of the comments on this forum, you should bring it up with them.
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:19 PM   #83
OntarioSkiBum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekwader View Post
This forum is probably the most tightly controlled public forums I've ever seen on the internet. If the mods found anything objectionable about any of the comments directed toward Jim, they would have deleted the offending passages and either warned or banned the sender. I've seen this happen many times in the past. If you have a problem with some of the comments on this forum, you should bring it up with them.
I've turned away from another fishing forum that was MUCH, MUCH worse than here. This site is pretty good for the most part.
OntarioSkiBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:57 AM   #84
fishcane

Rudeness questions aside, what fisherman wants the entire world to know the "small/cant handle a lot of pressure" spots they have had good luck in? Wouldn't any fisherman be happy to to return to an unspoiled honey hole to find that it still produces?

If you have been at this for over 50 years, then let others find em the same way you did... or at least tell em to pm for details. If thats rude or elitist well then I guess Ill just have to live with the label

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Thoreau
fishcane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:37 AM   #85
gmorin71

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishcane View Post
Rudeness questions aside, what fisherman wants the entire world to know the "small/cant handle a lot of pressure" spots they have had good luck in? Wouldn't any fisherman be happy to to return to an unspoiled honey hole to find that it still produces?

If you have been at this for over 50 years, then let others find em the same way you did... or at least tell em to pm for details. If thats rude or elitist well then I guess Ill just have to live with the label
exaaaaaaaactly. very well said. the people that say that we should share, post etc... all this information have always shocked me. The miles that I have hiked. The days that i have been skunked. I've worked hard for years to have the places I am comfortable going to. How is it possible that you would be comfortable just giving people that information? Then, you pile the FACTS of what the added pressure will do to the population at that spot, and you essentially just ruined your own experience! Those locations and the populations that reside there are more important than your feelings and to be honest, one guy said don't mention names, and the other guy said that's not how we do things on this forum. I don't even see it as rude at all. I say we move on.

I caught a fish yesterday by the way
gmorin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:48 AM   #86
aft paddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmorin71 View Post

I caught a fish yesterday by the way
Where?
aft paddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:59 AM   #87
Rusty and the Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by aft paddle View Post
Where?

I don't need to go to a pond and have it to myself, if there's someone else that likes that pond and they go up there, more power to them... I've met some nice people at brookie ponds. With that said, i'd rather be the only one up there on any given day, so i'm certainly not going to invite the internet up there with me!
Old 03-30-2015, 09:33 AM   #88
gmorin71

Quote:
Originally Posted by aft paddle View Post
Where?
hahahahaha
Old 03-30-2015, 09:46 AM   #89
mmaute
Cascadia

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishcane View Post

Fish, Aft, Rusty, G

You’re not understanding my point. If someone wants to keep their favorite spots to themselves, so be it -do what you think is best. My point was don’t insult or tell someone else they shouldn’t use a forum if they’re willing to share their experiences and knowledge with others. An argument could be made that someone who is willing to share their knowledge about locations is truly unselfish, trying to pay it forward, and putting their faith in people to do the right thing.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:16 AM   #90
gmorin71

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaute View Post
Fish, Aft, Rusty, G

You’re not understanding my point. If someone wants to keep their favorite spots to themselves, so be it -do what you think is best. My point was don’t insult or tell someone else they shouldn’t use a forum if they’re willing to share their experiences and knowledge with others. An argument could be made that someone who is willing to share their knowledge about locations is truly unselfish, trying to pay it forward, and putting their faith in people to do the right thing.
I see your point, but that faith in people would be misguided as our perspective is based on fact, therefore you should not use a forum for that reason.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:34 AM   #91
Boreal Fox
Moss Hopper

Would it be possible for a moderator to remove all the mentions of the ponds Jim exposed? I am not a fisherman myself but I now fear that he has essentially signed the death warrant on the trout populations of those ponds. I know those fisherman here that know about those places are mindful of conservation of the fish population but as others have said, this info can be found by anyone doing a google search so before the info gets index by Google, for the good of preservation, please remove that information. This is information that shouldn't be public knowledge unless you are fine with another pond to become exterminated of its trout population. There's few as it is, why make things worse? Even if they're ponds written about in books, at least those books would require more effort than a Google search which I presume would mean those who are willing to put in greater effort will find them. There are some things that should be left to the knowledge of a respectful few, for the sake of the greater picture of what's at stake.

Last edited by Boreal Fox; 03-30-2015 at 11:31 AM..
Boreal Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:28 AM   #92
Gman

I think we need some perspective here. All of those ponds plus many more have been written up in print many times. Last night I looked and I have five books which not only mention those ponds and more but also tell you about the portages / trails and where to park, camp and tips on how to fish them!

As we have discussed these are predominantly stocked fisheries. So yes a pond can get fished out but that is short lived. It is more a condition of putting in the time to get there and finding the bejeepers fished out of it and junk and garbage strewn about. That would wreck your trip and tick off anyone with respect for the fishery.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:29 AM   #93
mmaute
Cascadia

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtflyfish View Post
These are my opinions of the dialog, which at this point are well beyond the scope of what the OP asked. Wednesday is April 1st. I suggest that everybody go fish.
I respectfully disagree with several of your opinions, but respect your right to have them.

I do agree conversation has moved far off original topic and continuation is unproductive.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:38 AM   #94
Gman

Sero will be here soon and make everything okay. I guess he wasn't working the graveyard shift last night.
VT, I would appreciate a copy of your A list trout ponds. Thanks in advance eh.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:27 PM   #95
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Perhaps one way to combat the public listing of sensitive trout ponds would be to over publicize the dead or not so good ponds. In other words, hide the names in plain site.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:28 PM   #96
DuctTape
Out of Shape

And yes the pun was intended.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:38 PM   #97
JimVroman

Quote:
Originally Posted by serotonin View Post
They haven't said much about the Meaning of Life so far, have they...?

Jim... it's the middle of the film.

It's not the meniscus! It's the middle of the film!!
The part that nobody can seem to successfully get through.
(Except for caddis, stoneflies, mayflies, and other aquatic insects).
We had been doing so successfully for thousands and thousands of years.

and Humans don't know we exist, Jim.
They can't do what we do.
They can't even get through the middle of the forking film, Jim.

If they're lives are so important that they can't bear to waste one minute,
I suggest they skip directly to 1:09.
And get through the middle of the flocking film, Jim.
The one after nine o nine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGBZnfB46es
They haven't said much about the Meaning of Life so far, have they...?
Wow Man,
You need to come back at that for me.
Jim
JimVroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:44 PM   #98
JW

Jim- you sound like a wise old guy. Have you noticed any increase in traffic to any of your old ponds in the last 60 years? I know a couple that have become overrun in the last 30. Not trying to be selfish , but am concerned what it will look like 20 years from now with Internet publicity.
JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:37 PM   #99
backcountry

Being a relatively new member to this forum and the pursuit of brook trout, I'll offer my perspective on this thread.

I approached this forum to learn about the techniques and the equipment needed to fish for back country brook trout in the Adirondacks. I have yet to find any other forum that could provide access to this type of information via experienced members. I am a novice at best for a fly fisherman and an average fisherman with a spin cast setup. In the short time in pursuit of the knowledge I need, I have been directed to many useful books - both for techniques of catching brook trout and learning about habitat that would sustain brook trout (something I didn't realize would be so vital for success). I have also been given honest reviews and experiences of equipment used. I have not sought anyone's fishing spots nor do I expect to be told of any - to me that would be cheating of the experience and make it less rewarding. It would be calling oneself a pilot while only taking the controls of a plane while in flight and not taking off or landing the aircraft. Instead, I have done my own research to identify ponds that potentially could hold trophy brook trout. To me, not only catching a brook trout in the remote ponds of the Adirondacks, but meeting some of the forum members on their "favorite, undisclosed" bodies of water uninvited and unannounced would indicate the pinnacle of success.

-BC

In closing, I moderate on site where spot burning is heavily frowned upon. In fact, we remove the post as soon as we recognize one. Our rules indicate such behavior is not tolerated. Could we work with the forum moderators here to enact such a rule and corresponding actions of removing posts with spot burning.
backcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:29 AM   #100
JohnnyJ10

Guys,

I have been following this thread and find it to be an interesting debate. I can see where both sides are coming from and have legitimate arguments. I am new to the forum as well and I respect everyone on here who has put in the time and the effort to get to where you are today. You guys have a lot more logged time fishing and researching than I do. I do not come on here and expect to get your favorite fishing spots or anything like that, but let me ask you a question.

For those of you that have done the research and the trekking through the woods to get to the hidden gems, how did you start? As being a new member to the Adirondacks, would you guys be willing to disclose the books you read through, so that I can check them out and decide which waters look appealing to me? I am perfectly fine with doing my own research and trekking, I'm just wondering where is a good place to start. Are there books specifically on backwoods fishing in the Dacks?

I took your advice about ordering a fly fishing book and haven't regret a second of it. I got a new setup this past weekend and am excited to start landing fish. I got the Orvis Access 905 setup.

Just looking for some advice.

Thanks.
JohnnyJ10 is offline   Reply With Quote