Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2015, 07:18 PM   #1
wildbrookies

Some trout candy!! The Breadcrust

Some 'older' classical flies will be my "new"go-to Trout Candy!

WB
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton

Last edited by wildbrookies; 03-15-2015 at 07:36 PM..
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:06 PM   #2
BleeckerMtn

looks good WB!
BleeckerMtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:50 PM   #3
Glen
Check please

Nice ties WB. If you add Vt's worms to the mix you will have both carbs and protein covered.
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 09:05 PM   #4
wildbrookies

LOL! I like that Glen!
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
Old 03-15-2015, 09:30 PM   #5
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

I so need a new fishing partner, one who is properly respectful of his mentor...

Nice flies, WB!!! Now I want to see a pic with your mug alongside of a slab sided brown with one of those flies in its mouth!
Old 03-15-2015, 09:40 PM   #6
wildbrookies

Me too VT!!!!

Also, thinking ,the fly in the middle of the flybox would probably out fish the others! :roll eyes:

Hope we all have big fish to post this year! I`m sooo ready to hook into some big bruins! Are you?
Old 03-15-2015, 09:51 PM   #7
Glen
Check please

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtflyfish View Post
I so need a new fishing partner, one who is properly respectful of his mentor...
I've heard this before....
Attached Images
File Type: gif dead-horse.gif (129.0 KB, 200 views)
Old 03-17-2015, 10:53 AM   #8
desmobob
Old, tired.

Those are very nice. How come they all look alike? When I tie a dozen of something, they always seem to show evidence of random mutation... ;-)

Tight lines,
Bob
desmobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:56 AM   #9
Gman

Nice job. They look super buggy. What was the recipe?
Old 03-17-2015, 12:58 PM   #10
wildbrookies

Thanx!! I actually had to tie a bunch(about a dozen!) before I started cranking them out more consistently proportional. Heres a link to one of the more descriptive step by step recipes I followed.

http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/fly...fm?parentID=86

Hope this helps!

WB

Last edited by wildbrookies; 03-17-2015 at 05:38 PM..
Old 03-17-2015, 01:35 PM   #11
Gman

I was wondering when you said Breadcrust. I thought thats not much of an effort! The only pattern I knew as a Beadcrust was from the Orvis tying manual circa 1980. It was basically a sparse soft hackle with orange floss, stripped quill ribbing and grizzly hen hackle. Certainly not near as buggy as your version. Maybe Orvis got it wrong, wouldn't be the first time...ever see the Orvis Ausable Wulff? It used to piss off Fran Betters. Didn't bother him they sold it what bugged Fran was that they never got it right.

BTW when we going to Algonquin?
Old 03-19-2015, 02:10 PM   #12
Glen
Check please

WB- I like your tie so much I just ordered some grouse tails. I know about splitting the quills but do you soak them? Some videos on YouTube don't show them being soaked.
“Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
― Cormac McCarthy
Old 03-19-2015, 09:08 PM   #13
wildbrookies

Glen- I originally tried splitting the quills dry. But ,after soaking them for a few hours found them a lot easier to split. After splitting all the ones you want to use,I put them back in the water bath to soak a bit. Then ,scraped the pith out of them all then again returned them back to the water bath to be taken out one at a time as I tied .Keeps them nice and supple for wrapping over the body.

I`ve actually let them soak for days until I was ready to sit and tie. But,I did put the big bowl of split/depithed quills and water in the fridge in my man cave to keep them cool. Guess it worked, I found them quite easy to work with being so flexible.
Hope this helps!!

WB
Old 03-31-2015, 05:08 AM   #14
fishcane

While not true to the original, an alternative to the grouse tails that I have utilized over the years (borrowing from Walt Dettes' Coffin fly pattern) is to trim a grizzly hackle down to size. great pattern

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Thoreau
fishcane is offline   Reply With Quote