Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2014, 11:35 AM   #1
gmorin71

anyone been out?

I know most of us let the trout rest this time of year but anyone been out to any fishable spots in the last month or so? I took a couple trips to the Delaware, interesting river. Had a good time, couldn't believe how cold the water was.
gmorin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:55 PM   #2
Brookie hunter

Been out quite a bit lately and still having very good luck with the bookies. I'll post some pics when I figure out how to post them.
Brookie hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:24 PM   #3
gmorin71

In ponds?
gmorin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:41 PM   #4
Brookie hunter

Yes mainly in ponds although been having good luck In streams to.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:01 PM   #5
Ryan Ball
NYOutdoors

This is by far my best time to fish for trout. Once bass season opens the streams and trout ponds rarely get much pressure. The thing with trout is they like roughlt 52 deg water temps. In the spring the water is cold and is closest to the 52 deg later in the afternoon when the waters WARM closer to that. Now that the surface temps are around 70, first thing in the morning is when the water temps are cooler and closest to 52 deg. However you always have some that feed the hour before dark. I have been out catching rainbows and browns in local ponds and lakes and still some brookies in the streams.
Ryan Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:50 PM   #6
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

I've been hitting some cooler waters for browns. Nothing big but steady action on dries. Lots of fun!
Old 07-28-2014, 08:45 PM   #7
Wilderness Brookies

All we fish are ponds and we still go almost every weekend. Still biting very good but you don't get the bigger brookies as often in the heat of the summer.It's a good idea to have a cooler in your vehicle if you're bringing some home to eat. What I always get a kick out of is hearing people say how you've got to fish the deeper,colder water in the summer to catch trout. The only place we didn't have hits yesterday was in the deeper ,colder water. Spring,summer and fall we catch fish in the same general areas and the majority were caught between 10 and 1 o'clock. Quite the torrential downpour yesterday,glad we had the rain suits on.
Wilderness Brookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:46 PM   #8
wildbrookies

As for me ,I`m still on the mend.....maybe in a few weeks I`ll be able to get out and maybe by then the streams will cool off . I hate to harass trout this time of year and don`t know of any cold water flows . Come on VT ! Fess up!!

WB
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:24 PM   #9
Brookie hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilderness Brookies View Post
All we fish are ponds and we still go almost every weekend. Still biting very good but you don't get the bigger brookies as often in the heat of the summer.It's a good idea to have a cooler in your vehicle if you're bringing some home to eat. What I always get a kick out of is hearing people say how you've got to fish the deeper,colder water in the summer to catch trout. The only place we didn't have hits yesterday was in the deeper ,colder water. Spring,summer and fall we catch fish in the same general areas and the majority were caught between 10 and 1 o'clock. Quite the torrential downpour yesterday,glad we had the rain suits on.
I agree 100% on this post.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:49 PM   #10
chaser
pond jockey

Damn, WB weren't you on the mend a year or so ago? Get it together man so you can start shuffling streams again this fall.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:29 AM   #11
wildbrookies

Chaser, you're close!! I was on a long mend about 6 years ago after achilles tendon repair. I know ,hopefully this heals up well and I can get back to pounding the streams this fall!!

WB
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:55 PM   #12
58rover

spent a week chasing lakers in Dacks' with flies and had some steady action. Also picked up a few 20" lake whitefish. Use a 9wt w/ a Martin multiplier reel loaded w/ 18lb lead line. Also fished a little pond w/ a dragonfly nymph on full sinking line and caught them steady, nothing big. Middle of a sunny day.
58rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:56 PM   #13
58rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilderness Brookies View Post
There could be springs in the area where you fish thus the colder water.
58rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:13 PM   #14
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

I have nothing against keeping a few fish now and again but be aware that a brookie hooked in cool water and dragged up through 70+ degree water is a dead brookie. You might release it and see it swim away but it's soon to be a dead fish. For that reason alone I avoid targeting my favorite fish until the surface temperature is 68 degrees or below.

Rainbows and browns are far more tolerant. Go for them!
Old 07-30-2014, 08:54 PM   #15
Wilderness Brookies

It is kind of surprising especially in the summer months but we've watched countless trout rolling and jumping in water close to the shore and so shallow that you couldn't troll there.While I'm sure they return to the cooler water they seem to spend a considerable amount of time in that warm water.While fishing Sunday we returned one trout that floated back up to the top, you can see their white bellies from a mile away. It was a small trout that got hooked to deep (thought I removed the hook with enough finesse but apparently I didn't).We returned quite a few hooked in the lip and none of those died and floated to the top. We've also camped for 3 days in the summer and the returned trout didn't float to the top. I've been at it for over 40 years and I don't see to many floating belly up. I'm curious though and I'm going to bring a thermometer next trip to check the surface temps and I'm kinda curious how much cooler it is a few feet down.
Wilderness Brookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:48 PM   #16
serotonin
ember

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtflyfish View Post
I've been hitting some cooler waters for browns. Nothing big but steady action on dries. Lots of fun!
Have also been hitting cooler water regularly for Browns (65*- 68*). But the surface action not as steady as yours. Been doing well with a bead-head hare's ear dropped off a bushy cripple. That hare's ear, nice and buggy, was tied by someone in the Swap. It accounted for a number of fish on Wed 'til i lost it.

This morning I went full-on nymphing, with two flies. Don't remember the last time I nymphed. Usually go to a dry/dropper or a streamer before I full-on nymph. The birds were having a banquet, mostly on a size 18-20 mayfly, but alas no risers. The point fly took all the fish. Again a bead-head hare's ear. This time with a flashback. When I lost that, a soft-hackle on point did just as well, taking chunky fish up to 14".

Nothing to write home about, but good enough to keep me happy during the doldrums of late July/early August. Lost or missed about seven more this morn. Been fishing with a busted casting hand since early May. Hurts every time I cast. Oh well. At least I didn't step into a big hole and fill my waders up, like J did this morning. Then discovered that he lost two awesome boxes of flies in the process. Or how M snapped his rod on Wed before he even made a cast. And had to hike back to his truck for another rod. And then discovered that he too had lost a box of great flies.

At least last night M took a 21-incher on "that streamer".
It Bull-dogged him so hard he thought for sure it was a snag. He was fishing a sink-tip with 3 feet of 2x. Anything lighter... and he would NOT have landed it.

Something of note... have recently seen a few bugs I don't remember ever seeing. This was on a stream:
Today; a mayfly size 12, entirely light lime-green. Body AND wings. Mayfly(!)
Wed; a two-toned Reddish(!) mayfly... body AND wings RED. Long, chunky size 8(!). Not a spinner.
All week; a white, very FAT-bodied fly, size 10-12. This one I sorta remember seeing before, but don't know what it is. Not Ephron Luekon.

Any ideas?
serotonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:58 PM   #17
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by serotonin View Post

Something of note... have recently seen a few bugs I don't remember ever seeing. This was on a stream:
Today; a mayfly size 12, entirely light lime-green. Body AND wings. Mayfly(!)
Wed; a two-toned Reddish(!) mayfly... body AND wings RED. Long, chunky size 8(!). Not a spinner.
All week; a white, very FAT-bodied fly, size 10-12. This one I sorta remember seeing before, but don't know what it is. Not Ephron Luekon.

Any ideas?
Sounds like you've been having a blast! Keep those stories coming!
I'm now living vicariously through you guys. And Ross, who has been out a lot and doing very well. Me? I'm locked up in the lab at work with critical deadlines looming. At least it looks like nothing will interfere with September and October!

As for your mayflies, could the first one be some long lost cousin of a Hex? I've sometimes seen them with a greenish tinge. My only guess for the second one is an Iso - how many tails??? No clue on the third. Time to leaf through Ernest Schweibert's book for some clues...
Old 08-01-2014, 11:33 PM   #18
Gman

Given the time of year the first fly would be a Cahill or a Golden Drake. Should be easy to determine because you usually find Cahill's in faster rocky water while the Golden Drake nymph is a burrower like all drakes and is found in slower pools with gravel or soft bottoms. The Golden Drake is a little bigger and longer in the body than the Cahill. The Cahill is basically the same or similar fly to a March Brown and Gray Fox (Stenonema). The nymphs are identical other than size. They are flat bodied and live under rocks. If you recall the water type that should give you the answer as to what they are.

The 3rd fly sounds I'm sure is a Yellow Drake which has a robust, fat body with a buttery cream body and white wing that hatches at dusk. The nymph literally pops off the bottom right thru the surface so sometimes you're better off fishing a wet fly. A size 10 Wet fly Cahill has work well for me. I bet you saw it in a slow silty pool.

okay fly #2....are you sure you aren't A) colour blind or B) they weren't spinners? or C) stoneflies? Because I have never seen or researched a fresh hatched mayfly with red wings. To me sounds like an Isonychia except the Iso has a mahogany body and charcoal grey wings. More likely the spinner which has clear wings and is more red in colour....the only reddish coloured mayfly you'd find this time of year. There are 2 broods of Isonychia. One that is sporadic and not common from June thru July which is very large (8-10). The other which is better known and more plentiful hatches in September. It is a sz. 12 and my favourite hatch to fish.

BTW....were you fishing West Canada Creek? Because I have seen all these flies at this time of year on WCC. The

Last edited by Gman; 08-01-2014 at 11:49 PM..
Gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 03:31 AM   #19
serotonin
ember

I very much appreciate such a detailed response, Gman.
And would like to respond in kind, when I can.

But I gotta go fishing again in 90 minutes.

Gotta rig up a new sink tip, feed the dog, make java, load the truck with blasphemy, grab a doughnut and go!

But the least I can do, is leave you with what I am listening to;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Hi9jmLbxKA

serotonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 03:05 PM   #20
Gman

Tabernac.....Are you eating poutine and cursing redneck Alberta too?
Gman is offline   Reply With Quote