Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-03-2015, 05:17 PM   #1
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Fate, Bad Luck and Brook Trout

UpstateDave, Glen and I planned a trip. The last week of September was the only time it could work. Rhe sun continued to beat down relentlessly, which certainly didn't help us or the brookies. So we set out for a secret pond. Fishing was slow but acceptable and pond surface temps were just below the cutoff point. We caught a few fish, nothing spectacular. Then the state helicopter flew over and almost dropped a load of fingerlings into Dave's lap. Just like Viet Nam but with different ordinance.

We regrouped and decided to hit a well known road accessible pond that has rainbows. It was 66 degrees all the way to the bottom. Glen caught four bullhead, fair caught on flies, making him our new Bullhead King. Congratulate him on his coronation. It's quite an accomplishment: in 52 years of fly fishing I've never seen a bullhead caught on a fly.

We decided to go high, one of the higher ponds we know of. On the drive over Glen got the fateful text calling him back to Long Island and the world of work. No protestations would do. He was out of the picture with naught but a couple of brookies and a mess of bullheads to show for his planned week of fall fishing.

Dave and I hiked into a cooling rain. We set up a cozy camp. Then we worked very hard for a couple of fish, failing to convert a number of good strikes.

The wind came up, the pond temperature dropped 2 degrees and the next day we found a few fish. Again, we failed to convert on some of the big ones.

Friday, our last day. Two more degrees subtracted from the pond temperature. We were into fish, really good ones. Only Dave started foul hooking them, first from the top, then from the bottom. I told him it must be a technique he picked up from his time on the Salmon River. He threw some hard object in my direction that landed with a splash. Some people!

Then Dave tried something I wouldn't have: a particular small fly. The brookies hunted it down and pounced on it. We caught a dozen or so between us, mostly good ones. Then it was Dave's time to depart.

Gmorin showed up and we had a pleasant chat in camp. I look forward to his report!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020553.jpg (89.1 KB, 418 views)
File Type: jpg PA010727.JPG (65.3 KB, 414 views)
File Type: jpg PA020760.JPG (65.5 KB, 412 views)
File Type: jpg PA020759.JPG (80.0 KB, 415 views)
File Type: jpg PA020751.JPG (80.1 KB, 411 views)
File Type: jpg PA010739.JPG (63.0 KB, 412 views)
File Type: jpg PA010747.JPG (61.7 KB, 409 views)
File Type: jpg P1020574.jpg (70.1 KB, 413 views)
File Type: jpg PA010742.JPG (62.1 KB, 411 views)