Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Adirondack Firetowers
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2020, 04:58 PM   #21
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

The town park in Newcomb has something similar- a glass (plexiglass?) engraving that shows the High Peaks skyline with all of the peaks labeled. If you stand in the right spot, the glass engraving lines up pretty closely with the view of the High Peaks, so it's easy to see which peak is which.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 05:54 PM   #22
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
The town park in Newcomb has something similar- a glass (plexiglass?) engraving that shows the High Peaks skyline with all of the peaks labeled. If you stand in the right spot, the glass engraving lines up pretty closely with the view of the High Peaks, so it's easy to see which peak is which.
Has everyone looked at that engraved profile closely??
There is also every peak's name written in braille!
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 03:30 PM   #23
Makwa

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndLk_Brett View Post
I believe the cab on Goodnow is closed. Which is a shame because the map in that cab is a really neat.
Map (pic from May 2015) in Goodnow FT cab.

Makwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 03:34 PM   #24
Makwa

The display in Newcomb from Jan 2017. Third pic is Marcy lined up with the display (labeled "P").

Link to Google album if you want to see larger pics or zoom in. I could not find the braille when I zoomed in. https://photos.app.goo.gl/Y7FMvhfH7sirPJWy7

Makwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:45 PM   #25
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makwa View Post
Link to Google album if you want to see larger pics or zoom in. I could not find the braille when I zoomed in. https://photos.app.goo.gl/Y7FMvhfH7sirPJWy7
Dang!! It's been a few years since I stopped there, they've updated the sign.
My gang had joked about the braille for years.

Old 10-27-2020, 09:52 AM   #26
Lucky13

I thought the braille was kind of neat. I could see that the plexiglass could be lined up with the mountains, but I also thought the cutting of the profile allowed the non-sighted to use their hands to "feel" the differences in the different mountains. I thought it was very considerate of Newcomb to make an attempt to provide some kind of Adirondack experience to those less fortunate in ability to see the grandeur.
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 08:22 PM   #27
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

We used to laugh at the absurdity of the execution...
The profiles were out of reach for the majority of humans, and even so, were not labeled in braille. So the braille labels would be of no benefit a person that would need braille.

Sort of like the braille at some drive up ATM's...(which at least have a sane rational behind them)