Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 09:46 AM   #1
Alpine1

APA Discussions on Finch Lands

Not sure if this will work for others, here's the current APA meeting live
http://nysapa.granicus.com/MediaPlay...2&event_id=183
Alpine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #2
l'oiseau
**BANNED**

This is all well and good but do we have any idea when they will be open for public use?
l'oiseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:26 PM   #3
Alpine1

Here's the archives for the meeting for those who want to listen
Old 06-12-2013, 02:39 PM   #4
Alpine1

Lands are open

Just read on FB that you can now access the highly contested Fynch Pryn lands. I read it on the News Enterprise FB page, sorry can't find a link at this moment though.

Here you go...
http://www.governor.ny.gov/press/061...-to-the-Public
Old 06-12-2013, 02:46 PM   #5
Holdstrong

Tonight is the first public hearing.

Ray Brook
June 12, 2013
6:00 PM
Adirondack Park Agency
1133 NY State Route 86

By my estimation, there appears to be strong political and local momentum in favor of one of the plans with the least amount of protections when it comes to access and motorized use. So if you are someone who values wilderness experiences and strong protections of these types of lands, then I would encourage you to try to attend one of these hearings or at least contact the APA to let them know how you feel.
Holdstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:06 PM   #6
dundee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdstrong View Post
Tonight is the first public hearing.

Ray Brook
June 12, 2013
6:00 PM
Adirondack Park Agency
1133 NY State Route 86

By my estimation, there appears to be strong political and local momentum in favor of one of the plans with the least amount of protections when it comes to access and motorized use. So if you are someone who values wilderness experiences and strong protections of these types of lands, then I would encourage you to try to attend one of these hearings or at least contact the APA to let them know how you feel.
I wrote my letter!
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:57 PM   #7
Bill I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdstrong View Post
By my estimation, there appears to be strong political and local momentum in favor of one of the plans with the least amount of protections when it comes to access and motorized use.
Not only that, but several of the conservation groups that you'd expect to "go up to bat" for the strongest protections are too preoccupied with how close they want to be able to drive to the lakes.

These groups are currently being run by Baby Boomers, the rightfully-called "Me generation", who are now in their late 50s and 60s. Whereas previous conservation leaders would switch their focus to leaving a legacy for future generations as they themselves aged, some of the Boomers on these boards can't get past their own narcissism. THEY want to paddle the lakes, but THEY don't want to have to hike or camp to do it. They're too old for that kind of nonsense, and they'll be the first to tell you.

Therefore they are throwing their full support behind option #1A--which offers wilderness protection, yes, but also allows strategically located roads. You see, these people are starting to have knee issues so about a quarter mile is as far as they're willing to walk to see water. Key "conservationists" who should know better--and whose names you might recognize--have informed me matter-of-factly that if you have to hike more than 0.25 - 0.33 mile, no one will go there.

They don't want to hear any baloney about the irony of wanting motorized access corridors for the pursuit of their motorless recreation. One Boomer said she can't wait until I get old, then I'll know what she's talking about.

So if you think that 1.5 - 2 miles is a relatively easy walk to see water, and you are sending in annual membership fees expecting these groups to represent your voice, don't necessarily count on that to happen.

Option 1B offers the strongest wilderness protections and covers the most acres, of all the options being considered.

I've been pushing for Backcountry, but this Essex Chain proposal is simply moving too fast.

Last edited by Bill I.; 06-12-2013 at 08:24 PM..
Bill I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:53 PM   #8
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine1 View Post
Lands are open
Just read on FB that you can now access the highly contested Fynch Pryn lands. I read it on the News Enterprise FB page, sorry can't find a link at this moment though.

Here you go...
http://www.governor.ny.gov/press/061...-to-the-Public
Curious if this is true, confirmed, & verified.
I try not to believe everything I read on facebook...
Are all 7,200 acres open to the public, or is it only open for paddlers & anglers on the upper Hudson & Cedar Rivers?

Last edited by Justin; 06-12-2013 at 08:08 PM..
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:00 PM   #9
Bill I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Curious if this is true, confirmed, & verified.
I try not to believe everything I read on facebook...
Yes.

http://www.adirondackalmanack.com/2013/06/35719.html
Bill I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:36 PM   #10
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill I. View Post
Thanks Bill.
My plans for this weekend just changed.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:08 PM   #11
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Bill,

Take it easy on those baby boomers...I'm squarely in the middle of that group.
Please don't lump me in with those "old" folks that refuse to carry or hike any more than 1/4 mile to their destinations.

Regardless of which classifications the APA finally decides upon, I'm pretty excited to have access so soon.
And you'll have a whole lot of revisions and additions to the Discover series!
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:26 AM   #12
Telemarkmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Thanks Bill.
My plans for this weekend just changed.
You won't have to worry about any low water levels this weekend...
Old 06-13-2013, 11:25 AM   #13
Holdstrong

A recap of the first hearing can be found here:

http://adirondackdailyenterprise.com...ld-forest.html

The battle lines were drawn as expected.

The environmental advocates came down in favor of Wilderness designations 1A and 1B, which offer the most protections and opportunities for a wilderness experience.

Local business interests, hunting/fishing groups, and motorized recreation proponents came down in favor of Wild Forest designations, which will open the network of roads throughout this land and allow vehicles to travel them and motor boats (and planes) to use the waters.
Holdstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:36 PM   #14
geogymn

I am a baby boomer. I will probably never see those lakes unless I can drive closer to them. Make it all wilderness I say, is there a better legacy that we can bestow?
Old 06-13-2013, 08:37 PM   #15
Paleofreak

I am so happy to hear you say that geogymn and I hope more people share your thoughts on this issue.

I am on the opposite end of the age spectrum, but that just makes me push for wilderness even harder. I think that we are have an obligation to preserve this land, not just for my generation but for the generations yet unborn.

I thought that the last 'public commenter' said it best last night when he said opportunities are the same but results will vary.
Paleofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:49 PM   #16
l'oiseau
**BANNED**

I tend to believe the 1/3 to 1/2 mile thing... I mean would Lila be as popular as it is if the initial carry was 2 miles vs. 1/3 mi or whatever it is? I doubt it.

A 2 mile portage with a tandem is tough - it will definitely keep all but the most hearty off the lakes and ponds.

Either that or it will boost sales of pack canoes...
l'oiseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:09 PM   #17
aft paddle

If you don't act now, please don't cry later

I went to the APA link posted earlier to listen to the comment portion of the meeting--lengthy, but some interesting points made. On their site I found and downloaded "Maps of Seven Classification Alternatives" which provides a set of maps that greatly clarified the different proposals for me. I think it's important to check these out, make a determination of which proposal(s) you are for or against and send notification to the APA before the deadline.
aft paddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:47 AM   #18
randomscooter
Native Earthling

another baby boomer...

As yet another baby boomer, I've satiated my narcissistic proclivities over the years by taking a stand in favor of more and more wilderness areas, places that only those of us who are willing, able, and ready to take on the challenges would ever get the chance to experience.

To this day I prefer the isolation I can only find in wilderness areas. No, or few, sounds of motorized vehicles. Few, if any, other people. So if these newly acquired FP lands become designated as wild forest, with all the access and over-usage issues that come with that access, it is likely that I'll never bother to visit those places.

But perhaps that is as it should be. The Adirondack Park is a mosaic of public and private land classifications, the public portion of which is managed by the DEC to protect the general character of the lands and watersheds while providing a diversity of recreational opportunities for the owners of the land - New York's residents.

Through the efforts of wilderness organizations, largely founded and supported by narcissistic baby boomers, the drumbeat of wilderness, wilderness, wilderness, wilderness over the past decades has ensured that the Adirondack mosaic includes a healthy portion of the type of lands I personally prefer. But that unremitting drumbeat has deafened the ears of some who pound those drums to the need to maintain a healthy mix of usage. So now another drumbeat, one that has always existed but has been largely drowned out by the wilderness drumbeat, has emerged. Those among us who want to ensure that some of these lands are accessible to a larger audience, are reminding us that wilderness, wilderness, wilderness, is not the only game in town. That those such as myself who personally prefer wilderness are not the only people whose needs should be considered.

From where I'm standing it appears that some of the narcissists may finally be growing up.

"Pushing the limits of easy."
randomscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:08 PM   #19
geogymn

"healthy portion of the type of lands I personally prefer", reminding us that wilderness, wilderness, wilderness, is not the only game in town". Healthy portion? Are you kidding me? Healthy portion? There is only one game in town that is shrinking, that is irreversible, wilderness, or rather the concept of wilderness! Narcissism is defined by self interest, not by the concern of future generations. Think about what beholds the future that can't escape the madness we now face. What do you hold dear about the Adirondacks? Is it definable? Isn't that mystery worth passing on? We all want to provide for our proginy financially but to provide to them spiritually is a contest that we must not lose. Peace!
Old 06-15-2013, 10:18 PM   #20
TCD

I thought RS's post was well written and insightful. Despite the hysteria in certain corners, wilderness in the ADKs is NOT shrinking, it is growing, and once declared is not lost. What's shrinking is the human presence. Look around at the ghost towns that can no longer afford to run schools and fire departments, where there are no young people, and the average age in town is 65. The ADKs are rapidly becoming once again the wilderness playground of the wealthy, and ordinary folks are leaving in droves. I don't think you have to worry as much about the wilderness here as about the people.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote