Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2021, 08:16 AM   #1
Viking

Lows

Good morning everyone,

Curious if anyone has intel on people pressure back towards Grass Pond.

With the black fly season in full swing I wouldn't think there would be too much pressure but the times they are a changin'.

Thank you!!
Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 02:10 PM   #2
electbc
Outdoorsman

Black flies will keep the greenhorns away for sure. Bugshirt is the way to go.
I would assume that between Memorial day weekend and end of June, the weekends will be busy.
July 1 through end of summer, all week will be busy. Early on a Friday or a Thursday would be the best chance on getting a choice site.
Hopefully with more and more opening this year, there will be less pressure on the ADKs.
Just my Opinion.
electbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 06:34 PM   #3
Wldrns

Note that during the week of 12-17 June, as many as 20 or more BSA National Camping School adult trek leader guide students and instructor staff will be occupying multiple sites scattered around on Lows, as is done each year at that time.

Last edited by Wldrns; 05-25-2021 at 09:30 AM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 12:38 PM   #4
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

My experience has been that Grass Pond gets less use than the main body of Lows proper. But that's not to say that it gets no use, nor that it can't fill to capacity at times. Like electbc says, I certainly wouldn't expect to have an easy time finding an open site if you get a late start on a weekend trip back in there.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 06:16 PM   #5
electbc
Outdoorsman

And you need not get too discouraged by the amount of vehicles along the road in, some of those will be day trippers and fishermen. Check the register and see how many are at the 3 night limit and didn't check out yet.
Old 05-25-2021, 06:41 PM   #6
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by electbc View Post
And you need not get too discouraged by the amount of vehicles along the road in, some of those will be day trippers and fishermen. Check the register and see how many are at the 3 night limit and didn't check out yet.
Man, I'd love if that worked...

I bet only half the people camping write in the register. Harder to track with that many sites, but I know I've hiked to certain sites back in thinking I was going to be free and clear based on the register only to have them occupied. Kind of ticks me off, but what are you gonna do?

Sometimes people come in from other directions too, but I'm pretty sure some people just don't use the dang register...
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 09:07 PM   #7
electbc
Outdoorsman

Yeah well that's why I said Too discouraged. I suppose it's always good to have a plan B.
Old 05-26-2021, 09:17 PM   #8
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by electbc View Post
of course the 3 night limit only applies if you stay at the same campsite. If you change campsites, you have no limit to number of nights.

The BSA guide student trek groups I mentioned will change sites each night so that each designated leader under evaluation will have a chance to be evaluated in multiple skills.

And they enter directly from driving to Sabattis BSA camp, not from the lower dam anyway, so there will be no register entry there for them.

Last edited by Wldrns; 05-26-2021 at 09:47 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 11:19 PM   #9
Viking

Went in early Monday AM at lower dam. Water very low.

Water at correct levels above upper dam.

Wednesday wind very strong - stayed in camp and played backgammon.

Departed Thursday mid morning. Didn't see a soul the entire trip till the bog.

Eureka No Bug Zone took heavy sustained winds over multi-day period with no issues.

Very windy - kept bugs at bay. Occasional spots out of the wind would provide some black fly activity but really not biting yet - three bites in 4 days. Shocked.

Fish very cooperative.
Old 06-13-2021, 10:12 AM   #10
vchops

IMO the further into Grass you go the less crowded it will be. I went to site 13 last fall and it was packed, ended up staying at site 15. Pressure on travel has let u[ so I think you should be good. Keep us posted.
vchops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 11:43 PM   #11
darnedsox

backgammon.......Damn.....
Old 06-15-2021, 06:32 PM   #12
Viking

Backgammon good or bad?

I always throw a board on my pack. I get them at garage sales and such for a couple of bucks so if they get trashed no big deal.

Inside the board goes a deck of cards, kindle, luci light, and notepad/pen.

These items are usually just for my base camp trips. I did not like the multiple ports - even at the upper dam - with the load this time but my buddy was in from Michigan and had not been to the ADK's. His idea of camping is in a trailer so I figured I had better bring the fun stuff.

Worked out well - he's coming back next spring. He had not played backgammon before, so I think the 4000 games we played must have shown him the light.
Old 06-17-2021, 04:24 PM   #13
Wldrns

On Sunday There was one lone open space at the actual parking lot near the register at the lower dam. I got it. I counted 26 parked cars on my way out today (before 10:00 Thursday morning). Paddling out, I encountered many boats on the flow on their way in.