Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2021, 03:06 PM   #1
tenderfoot

Street & Nye via Indian Pass Trail

No, you can't get to Street & Nye from Indian Pass trail.

Luckily our goal, as always, was to enjoy the outdoors and be safe. We took a wrong turn at a junction, ambled down the Indian Pass Trail through the snowy woods for a good 40 minutes or so before realizing the error of our ways. Backtracked to junction, continued on but right before the true ascent did a clock check and realized we'd be hiking out in the dark. Not a big deal, but it being about 8F at this point we decided to turn around.

We arrived at ADK Loj Thur afternoon and set up tent. Temperatures were in single digits overnight. Slept in a bit. Hiked the trail as mentioned above. Actually got off trail sooner than expected since we turned around so actually drove home Fri night instead of Sat morning.

Notables:
  • We carried snowshoes but snow was shallow. Did not need them entire time on trail. Other hikers indicated they used spikes all the way.
  • Short detour to right at river brings you to a do-able ice crossing. But river was wet rather than solid ice in most places.
  • ADK Loj's new campground 24 washrooms have a pail for food scraps if doing dishes in sink. I always did dishes at campsite, which is not fun in single digits. The ability to wash the occasional cup, pot or utensil inside was a nice thing to learn.

Photos did not post from Google Drive, will fix...

Last edited by tenderfoot; 01-11-2021 at 03:06 PM.. Reason: Photos did not post from Google Drive, will fix...
tenderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 03:26 PM   #2
JimVroman

The route to Street and Nye is downstream from the leanto at Rocky Falls
You need to cross Indian Pass Brook. Is that the "river" that you refer to?
JimVroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 04:13 PM   #3
tenderfoot

Yes, the "river" was Indian Pass Brook. There is a junction very early on in the trail, right after registration. We took the Indian Pass Trail instead of the Street & Nye Trail. We saw it, but I thought that was the second trail from the right for Mt Jo. It was very much at the start of the trail, we were just chatting and distracted. Had GPS, High Peaks Map, and print out from cal topo but figured we did not need to consult this easy hike.

Once again, humbled by the wilderness! We had the layers, food, headlamps and could have stuck with the original plan.

Still was a great trip for us. It is funny because we do pretty well with trails in the high peaks but joke about getting turned around a bit at the ADK Loj Wilderness campground. That juncture was pretty close to ADK Loj property - may be a curse.

And I forgot - we were welcomed to the wilderness by a chipmunk jumping into car while we unloaded. Wanted to help unload the food. We had multiple doors open and were not completely sure we got him out.
Old 01-12-2021, 09:09 AM   #4
richard1726

Gots to know your limitations.
Smart decisions = fun!
richard1726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 03:08 PM   #5
JimVroman

Glad that you had a good time in spite of your "turn around".
Everybody has had one.
Old 01-12-2021, 08:55 PM   #6
hikingandwildex

Well, at least you probably can say that you never walked around in circles for over a half-hour in search of the Van Hoevenberg Trail from the Loj parking lot! I'll never live that one down!

Nice photos! If anyone else wants to view them, you can do so by hitting the Quote button and pasting the URLs from the quoted text into your browser's address bar.

We could use some of that snow on this end of the state! My showshoes have only been used once this winter and we're already in mid-January.

On the subject of Street and Nye, I'm curious as to how many Adirondack hikers finish their 46 on either of those mountains. Probably not many. It seems like an underrated place to finish. You could then knock out all of the big peaks early, and still be able to celebrate the completion of your 46er journey on a scenic mountain (Mount Jo) with friends and family afterwards. Less cliché than finishing on Whiteface, too.
Old 01-13-2021, 04:27 PM   #7
JimVroman

Indian Pass Brook must be crossed at some time before climbing Street or Nye from the Indian Pass trail.
Old 01-16-2021, 10:48 PM   #8
Fisheater

Nice story, and great attitude. I am a backcountry skier, and have been thinking of coming East. I’ve looked at guide books, and seriously wondered about navigating some of these mountain trails. I kind of figured it would be easy to make a wrong turn unless you were careful about making sure the trail you were turning on had the same bearing as the trail you were hoping to follow on a map. If I recall, there were quite a few trail junctions around ADK Loj, and quite a few really cool destinations.
Fisheater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 04:32 PM   #9
MTVhike

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderfoot View Post
Yes, the "river" was Indian Pass Brook. There is a junction very early on in the trail, right after registration. We took the Indian Pass Trail instead of the Street & Nye Trail. We saw it, but I thought that was the second trail from the right for Mt Jo. It was very much at the start of the trail, we were just chatting and distracted. Had GPS, High Peaks Map, and print out from cal topo but figured we did not need to consult this easy hike.
Well, you're sort of right about the second Mt. Jo trail - it is off the trail to Street and Nye, just beyond where that trail leaves the Indian Pass trail.
MTVhike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 04:36 PM   #10
JimVroman

Talking about Street and Nye, if you take a hard left about a quarter mile (downstream of the leanto at Rocky Falls, over a little col), you'll come on a little flat where the remains of a fairly big log building exists. The remains of logging activity?