Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2022, 04:11 PM   #1
Bluefire
OFGIC

Day trip adventures

I am looking for anybody interested in joining me on adk day trip paddles. I am fairly open about time and place. Please let me know if interested and we can work out details. Thank you.
Bluefire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 08:29 PM   #2
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

John,
Got anything in particular in mind? I'd like to revisit Wolf Pond, but I don't know if you want to do the short bushwhack and carries.
Oooh, what about the Hudson, just S of Newcomb. I've been wanting to try that but my paddle/shuttle buddy (hickoryskier) passed away a few years ago...
Is that sidekick guy still coming along too?
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 06:37 AM   #3
Bluefire
OFGIC

Hey Mike, I had been thinking about upstream paddles like Minerva stream, fall stream and the jessup, but would not be adverse to getting back into wolf. I am not familiar with that particular section of the Hudson, so it would take some discussion and research before I commit to it. Sidekick has been tied up with a project and we are hoping that he will have some availability later in the summer . So far this year I have only been on my home waters at Grafton lakes state park and have been itching to get up north. John
Old 06-11-2022, 08:05 PM   #4
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

John,
Which parts of Minerva Stream do you like?
Upstream then back down? Or downstream only with a shuttle?
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 09:32 PM   #5
Bluefire
OFGIC

I like putting in at the canoe access site a bit above the dam and going upstream and then paddling back to the put in. Either turn around at the O’Neil road bridge or continue upstream. In the past we have made it up to the shelvin road bridge. Depending on time frame, one can turn around at any point.
Old 06-15-2022, 03:40 PM   #6
Bluefire
OFGIC

Anyone interested in paddling fall stream this Friday? Weather is supposed to be really nice.
Old 06-20-2022, 09:13 AM   #7
Bluefire
OFGIC

Any interest in the jessup from route 30 upstream? Supposed to rain some this week, so I am proposing to paddle it this coming Saturday, June 25. Any interest? Let me know and if too low the kunjamuk could serve as a backup.
Old 06-22-2022, 06:50 AM   #8
Bluefire
OFGIC

Water levels are coming up in the greater speculator area. With forecasted rains the next few days, should be ideal levels for some upstream adventures by the weekend.
Old 06-22-2022, 07:38 AM   #9
Klinkhamer

Water levels

If the water levels keep going up it should make it a lot easier to get over the multiple beaver dams on Kunjumuk and Jessup. Jessup has one or two blow-down barriers that you must drag\carry around unless they've gotten blown out in last couple years. Gets real shallow further up. Really like the Kunjumuk and Fall stream routes, done them a few times. I picked up several tiny leeches between my toes on the Jessup wearing Tevas. Enjoy.
Old 06-23-2022, 09:01 AM   #10
Bluefire
OFGIC

Jessup barriers have disappeared. I agree I really like these routes in this area and have paddled them all several times. My regular paddling buddy has been busy this year and I don’t like paddling alone, which is why I have been trying to find others to paddle with. With more rain forecast for speculator area today the levels should be ideal this weekend.
Old 07-18-2022, 09:33 AM   #11
Curlymoe

Can you tell me where Fall Stream is? I can't seem to locate it. Thanks.
Curlymoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 10:28 AM   #12
Klinkhamer

Fall Stream

Firstly, pick up a copy of 'Adirondack Paddling - 65 Great Flatwater Adventures' by Phil Brown. It's an invaluable reference.
Fall Stream is 9 miles west of four corners in Speculator. Turn right onto Old Piseco Road (County 24) and drive about 1.6 miles to bridge over Fall Stream. Look for small parking area on right immediately after crossing Fall Stream.
Carry your boat in about 100 yards past the first beaver dam(s) and start paddling upstream. There is about 11+ miles round trip, depending on water levels, if you go to Mud lake or even further.
Old 07-19-2022, 07:28 PM   #13
Curlymoe

I've been meaning to pick up a book or paddler's map at some point; mostly been just poking around, reading posts and looking at blue spots on the map up til now. Thanks for the directions; I knew Fall Stream existed, but wasn't even sure of the general area.
Curlymoe is offline   Reply With Quote