Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2020, 11:10 AM   #1
rdl

Question for park residents

I'm from western New York and have been recreating in the Adirondack park for 30+ years. I've rented cabins at the end of June for many years now, ranging from Johnsburg to Newcomb to Saranac Lake and places in between. We try to frequent local shops and restaurants and leave some tourist dollars in the places we stay. We haven't made reservations yet for this year but I'd like to.

With the current atmosphere -- how do residents feel about tourists? Stay away still for a couple more months, or come and spend money ?
rdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 12:10 PM   #2
Wldrns

WNY visitors with compasses and hiking sticks or canoe paddles are most likely welcome everywhere, just as always. Come with a NJ plate, especially if towing an ATV, maybe not so much.

Last edited by Wldrns; 05-25-2020 at 01:02 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 01:06 PM   #3
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

I'll be interested to see the responses to this thread too. I've been thinking about going in August by bicycle as usual, and wondering how people there would regard it. Of course I don't bring much money into the area, mostly I just buy some food at some point during my visit, so I guess in some ways I would bring the risks without much benefit.
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 02:20 PM   #4
Festus

I'm a year round resident and I own a lodge in Keene. Like everywhere else, there are some locals that don't want visitors to come and a majority that do. The key is of course to be considerate, patient, practice social distancing and mask wearing and you will be welcomed. Those that behave selfishly will anger locals (and other visitors) and are probably the ones most likely to infect this area...So come as you sound like the type of vacationer we want here!
Festus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 02:32 PM   #5
dmartenvt

I'm a part time resident going between northern VT and the northern Adirondacks and I've seen some visitors to both places lately.

I cannot tell you how happy I've been to see people. I understand not all are welcoming. But this weekend I was overjoyed to see relieved people coming up from other areas that have been much harder hit. My heart goes out to those people and what they've been through. We've been relatively lucky, we are not trapped in small apartments with people Dying all around us.

So in my mind, you are welcome and I hope you find relaxation and a reprieve here.

For the most part, I think people were behaving responsibility and respecting one another's limits. The only thing I did see was that wile most, but not all, locals seemed to be pretty good at wearing masks in the shops, not all visitors were. I hope they will as a measure of respect to the workers.
dmartenvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 02:42 PM   #6
dmartenvt

I noticed that you can see the haunted look on some visitor's faces, and the trepidation with which they step out of their cars and into our world. I don't want to ever live in a world where it is OK to shun anyone for where they came from, plague or n plague. I've worried ceaselessly about my friends and family downstate and in New England. I will never judge anyone because of a license plate or an accent. I want people to have a break. Where and when we can safely do that for people, I believe it is our responsibility to do that. Especially, but not limited to, New Yorkers. The Adirondacks are your state too, and many of you have been through hell.
dmartenvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 04:02 PM   #7
JoeCedar

This press release describes the situation as it existed over a month ago, but as far as I can tell, it has not been withdrawn by the Essex County Board of Supervisors.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Press-Release-March-24-updated-4-9-20.pdf (135.5 KB, 62 views)
JoeCedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 05:23 PM   #8
TCD

Personally I'm delighted to see that people are starting to show up. A couple of our seasonal neighbors have arrived; nice to see them.

Of course people should be careful to use masks and keep some distance.

Greatly dislike seeing the narrative propounded by haters and fear mongers.

Not much for hip hop music, but 3LW hit it right in 2001: "Haters Gonna Hate."
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 05:33 PM   #9
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Unfortunately ATV's aren't allowed in the park, but that's just my opinion as I have owned several. However Tug Hill which is close to the border of the park has great ATV trails. Tourism is a big part of the local economy in the Park. I guess everyone has their pet peeves, mine is the roar from the motorcycle group which (invades) every Summer, but if it weren't for the tourists we most likely would not have infrastructure improvements here. Bring your mask, bring your bucks, enjoy the crisp c lean mountain air. I don't care where you are from just respect folks and our environs just as we would do the same if we visited you.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:43 AM   #10
St.Regis

Mutual respect and common sense are good things and work well everywhere
St.Regis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 01:07 PM   #11
Golddragon214

https://www.adirondackdailyenterpris...-talk-it-over/

Some people aren’t as level headed.
Golddragon214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:42 PM   #12
Buckladd

I live in the Park, and yesterday had to drive to Quechee, VT where I bought a cap for my truck. I decided to sneak over to NH for some "essentials" and started to think that I might not be welcome there with NY plates.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:58 AM   #13
dundee

https://poststar.com/news/state-and-...14162f52d.html
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:15 AM   #14
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundee View Post
"She said she drove across the country to get here and noticed people denying the virus was a real threat. Not feeling it was safe to stop on the trip, she said she wore diapers and slept either in her car or on the floors of disinfected hotel rooms."
“We are two women who are out here, and the wack-jobs are coming out,” Thoreck said.

A truer quote there is not!
Old 05-27-2020, 09:51 AM   #15
TCD

Sounds like she's related to this one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_Nowak
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 06:49 PM   #16
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Sounds like she's related to this one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_Nowak
Excellent post and example!
Old 05-28-2020, 08:31 AM   #17
tenderfoot

RDL,

Thanks for this post. From WNY as well. Itchin' to visit the ADK's again, but respectful of the pinch on resources up there (we have friends in the area). Our usual practice is either jump into the back woods or stay at Loj and jump into woods. ADK Loj is closed for now. Local purchases are usually made at a Stewarts, Noonmark Diner, Mountaineer and Loj. So we are not flooding the area with tourist dollars but are pretty lightweight on resources. Of course that could change with one slip on the trail. Our plan is to carry masks (even on trail), use them when appropriate (indoors or close proximity), and be courteous. Basic Leave No Trace stuff (well, leaving some bucks).

Waiting for conclusion of mud season (here?), avoid wrath of black flies and re-opening of regions between here and there.
Old 05-29-2020, 06:01 PM   #18
Keithk
Keith

lifelong resident here-

It was very disturbing to drive through LP over the holiday weekend- a lot of out of state plates, lots of people on the streets, and hardly a mask or attempt at social distancing to be seen.

If you’re considerate enough to be asking on here, and planning on being outdoors, I don’t think you’re the problem, and Im guessing you’d largely be welcomed. There certainly is a lot of nervousness in town about it though. Even here in the north east, where you know, we generally believe in science, there are quite a few folks who are openly hostile about NOT wearing a mask in public or taking other protective steps. In a place like ours, it wouldn’t take to many of these folks to cause serious problems.
"In short, a land ethic changes the role of Homo Sapiens from conqueror of the land-community to plain member and citizen of it. It implies respect for his fellow-members, and also respect for the community as such."

Aldo Leopold
Keithk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 07:16 AM   #19
adkman12986

As a resident here in Tupper Lake I would say you are welcome but we ask that you use good judgement. If you are sick please dont come' if you have been exposed to the virus please dont come. It's not that we dont want you or anyone else here but there has been only 2 cases of the virus here and want to protect our families and neighbors.
adkman12986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 11:18 AM   #20
MTVhike

As a fairly new resident of Elizabethtown (I built my vacation home in 2014 and made it my mostly full time retirement home in 2019), I am impressed by the diligence of other people around here regarding masks and social distancing. For the few hikes I have been on, if I see another couple one the trail, both they and we move off the trail and put on or tighten our masks. When shopping or going to the Post Office, everyone has masks on. The worst (but not too bad) was in Plattsburgh.
MTVhike is offline   Reply With Quote