Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2021, 02:51 PM   #1
elschap29

Nine Carries... Clockwise or Counterclockwise?

The subject title pretty much says it all. Two buddies and I are doing doing the Nine Carries route from August 9-12 (Monday to Thursday). We are using SRCO again and they've suggested that we put in on Long Pond and then they'll shuttle our car to Little Clear. They can also do it in the opposite direction. The idea is for us to spend one night each on Long Pond, Fish Pond, and St. Regis Pond. With our camp nights being Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, I am hoping that we have a good selection of campsites available, but in mid-August who knows. All that being said, for those of you have done this route, I am curious to hear your opinion on what direction is better. I know the winds blow from the west a bit, but in this area I don't know how much that really matters. On a previous trip we went from Hoel to Long before going through the Saranac Lakes and I don't recall the wind being much of a factor in either direction. I guess I only have two main thoughts about starting at Little Clear:
  1. If St. Regis is the most popular pond (could be an incorrect assumption for all I know), would it be better to find a great site on a Monday or a Wednesday?
  2. If St. Regis > Ochre > Mud > Fish is the hardest portage (another assumption I am not sure of), is it better to do that earlier in the trip.

At the end of the day, we just want tranquility, good views, and to hopefully hear a ton of loons at night as close to us as possible I assume either direction is good, but value the experience and opinions from all of you.

P.S. Read someone's review of a similar trip from a few years back and they mentioned the fire pit on the Little Long Pond (west) campsite to be infested by snakes. I found that to be quite freaky. I love wildlife, but I don't love a snake infestation in an otherwise serene campsite at the end of a long day of portaging. Anyone have any experience with that in this area?

Thanks!
elschap29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 05:32 PM   #2
St.Regis

Your assumption about the wind is probably correct and I would probably do a thru trip from W to E. The bigger waters including Long, St. Regis, and Little Clear can kick it up in a stiff wind and a lot of those winds do come from the west. I don't think you'll have too much trouble finding good campsites during midweek. You'll have to poke around to get firewood. It gets pretty scarce later in the sumner.
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 06:49 PM   #3
montcalm
Mobster

Both ways are fine.

I can't recall wind being a problem any of those ponds.

I've always found great campsites when doing this trip. I generally aim to stay at Fish Pond or right around there if I'm going all the way out there.

Long Pond and St Regis have the most, and nicest sites but are the most desirable for non-thru campers from either end.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 07:09 PM   #4
montcalm
Mobster

Campsite on St. Regis

Bessie (or Nellie) Pond:

Carry from Long Pond to Bessie/Nellie:

Long Pond Mtn from Long Pond:

Campsite on Long Pond:

Old 06-22-2021, 08:11 PM   #5
elschap29

I appreciate all the responses and those are great pics @montcalm! Gets me very excited. Do you mind telling me what campsite # that is on St. Regis? Either publicly or DM if you prefer to keep quiet. I am coming from Miami so you don't need to worry about me taking it too often but I do love a site like that with a nice flat area on the water. Reminds me of site 87 on Weller Pond from a few years back. See pics below. Ended up there after doing the carry from Saginaw Bay on Upper Saranac and we were just blown away by the solitude of that location. Figured Nine Carries would be an opportunity to get that more consistently this time around.

Maybe a stupid question, but do loons nest/live on Fish Pond or the smaller ponds back there? I've never been back in that corner of the St. Regis so not really sure what its like. We're more used to camping on the bigger lakes, but the loons are a big part of what haunt me all year long and push me to go through all the effort of traveling up north for this little adventure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 71106295-7E66-4DC8-9594-38B39EADEFE6.jpg (141.9 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg 0BE8B8E5-DD6D-4896-B179-88A5D296F20C.jpg (150.2 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg 34A166B6-9134-4690-9519-3004F385199B.jpg (84.7 KB, 93 views)
Old 06-22-2021, 09:16 PM   #6
montcalm
Mobster

Yeah that’s St Regis pond - st Regis mountain in the back drop. No idea what number it is. It’s impossible to miss as it’s out on a big point and it’s very large, open site that is close to the water. Usually I see a tent there. No worries though - majority of the sites on that pond are big and flat.

I have never actually seen a loon on Fish pond but it is definitely big enough for them. I don’t remember specifically hearing them as I always hear them so it’s not something I remember. I do have some fond memories of great owl conversations in SRCA though.
Old 06-23-2021, 12:13 AM   #7
rickhart

Your days are all weekdays so you have a better chance of getting campsites.
The only difference I can see about direction is that the carry between Long & Nellie is a bit easier from North to South (i.e. towards Long Pond) - I find it the roughest carry on the route, and going towards Long Pond is mostly downhill, but it works either way. There are better & worse sites all through the area, and the less good ones (the one by Lydia, the one at the far end of Long Pond's NE bay -- the bay with the trail to the mountain -- & the one on the south shore of Green Pond come to mind) are good for "overflow" camping when all the the more glamorous ones are taken.

Too bad you can't add a couple of days. Long Pond & St Regis are both worth more than one day, either for exploring or for visiting Long Pond Mt and St Regis Mt (though for St Regis Mt (by trail) you have to go through Upper St Regis Lake which tends to be infested with powerboats.
rickhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 01:10 PM   #8
montcalm
Mobster

For 3 nights I'd aim to stay:

One on St Regis - or close (little Long or Ochre)

Second on Fish or close ponds.

Third on Long

That's plenty of time to do the trip and the long carries are on the second and third day, but day 1 and 4 are relatively easy.

The carry from Ochre to Mud has some elevation, and it hurts, both ways. The carry from Bessie/Nellie to Long is long, but flatter IIRC. Neither are really that bad if it's your only carry of the day (all the other carries around Fish pond to the other small ponds are super short).

Doing this trip over 4 days/3 nights is pretty mellow. It can be done a lot faster, but I think it's a fair amount of time. Climbing both St Regis and LP Mtn is probably a stretch in that time - mainly St Regis being more out of the way. You could probably hit LP Mtn but might not be up for it after carrying from Fish Pond. If you went to Long on your first day you could probably set up camp and do the mountain on your first day if you get an early start, or try to squeeze it in on your last day. Every time I try to fit it in a trip it doesn't happen... weather and other factors can change how that plays out.
Old 06-23-2021, 05:26 PM   #9
elschap29

Comments above are really spot on. I really appreciate it.

@rickhart, trust me, we're three lifelong best friends who would love nothing more than to extend this trip to 1, 2, 3, 10 more nights, but our wives at home with young kids aren't weeping for us as we travel across the country for the better part of a week to go canoeing. Doesn't change the fact that that last day is always quite depressing leaving the wilderness and heading back to real life.

@montcalm, you nailed it in terms of my plan: get on the water mid-day Monday, find a campsite on Long Pond and hike Long Pond Mtn. Fish Pond Tuesday. St Regis Wednesday. Depart Thursday. After speaking with SRCO today, we realized logistically we need to start at Little Clear so that we can drop the canoe off at Floodwood post after we finish on Long Pond. Otherwise we have to stuff a ton of gear into a little sedan and strap a canoe to the roof. Seems a lot easier to do it this way. Only issue is that now Long Pond Mountain hike would be the final day and I'm doubtful of my buddies feeling up for that after finishing the portage from Fish to Long. We'll see.

Either way, we're giddy with excitement. Miami is 90 degrees today and feels like 1000. I haven't seen a starry sky in as long as I can remember. Loons are calling me. Thanks for the help.
Old 06-23-2021, 06:25 PM   #10
montcalm
Mobster

You'll definitely hear loons, and probably owls.

Since Bald Eagles have made a big come back, loons are not as sedentary as they used to be. I see them flying a lot these days and they are especially vigilant in the early nesting season, probably because the Eagles will predate their young.

Some ponds are physically too small for them - they need a big runway to land and take off. And if they don't have fish they won't bother there.

It's also possible the moving around is due to stocking of certain ponds, and they might nest on a less productive pond and go hunt in another.

But don't worry, they are all over up there.
Old 06-23-2021, 07:03 PM   #11
Wldrns

It would be difficult to not hear loons on most any reaslnably remote quiet water body in the region. Loon chicks are out and getting big on the small lake near me in the western Adirondacks, but I saw at least one pair still actively nesting on Lows. Momma hunkered down, flattening her body in the grass on her nest as I quietly passed her by a couple of days ago. Another seemed to play with me, rising and diving only a few feet away from me as I paddled along in open deep water with his red eye clearly keeping watch of me. Unfortunately my camera was beyond reach at the time.
Old 06-24-2021, 07:20 AM   #12
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by elschap29 View Post
[*]If St. Regis > Ochre > Mud > Fish is the hardest portage (another assumption I am not sure of), is it better to do that earlier in the trip.[/LIST]
Thanks!
If you add Mud into the middle, it isn't quite as tough as the direct trail from Ochre to Fish...but fair warning - Mud Pond is appropriately named. I had one leg get stuck and was there for a half hour with my paddling mates trying to get out!
“Death is the only wise advisor that we have. Whenever you feel, as you always do, that everything is going wrong and you're about to be annihilated, turn to your death and ask if that is so. Your death will tell you, 'I haven't touched you yet.” Carlos Castenada
WinterWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 11:07 AM   #13
montcalm
Mobster

The west side of Ochre and Mud are both particularly mucky with deep, boot-sucking mud. I don't recommend wearing flip-flops or sandals as you'll never see them again. I nearly lost a whole ankle high hiking boot at Mud!
Old 06-24-2021, 11:13 AM   #14
WinterWarlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
The west side of Ochre and Mud are both particularly mucky with deep, boot-sucking mud. I don't recommend wearing flip-flops or sandals as you'll never see them again. I nearly lost a whole ankle high hiking boot at Mud!
The sole ripped off my Keen water shoe when I was stuck!
“Death is the only wise advisor that we have. Whenever you feel, as you always do, that everything is going wrong and you're about to be annihilated, turn to your death and ask if that is so. Your death will tell you, 'I haven't touched you yet.” Carlos Castenada
Old 06-24-2021, 11:27 AM   #15
montcalm
Mobster

I believe it - that Mud is SERIOUS! I had a canoe on my head when I got stuck LOL!
Old 06-24-2021, 12:30 PM   #16
elschap29

Haha so how do you recommend getting from St Regis to Fish? Was hoping to see what the esker is all about
Old 06-24-2021, 12:38 PM   #17
WinterWarlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by elschap29 View Post
Haha so how do you recommend getting from St Regis to Fish? Was hoping to see what the esker is all about
Try this link to a video of carrying on the esker...

https://www.facebook.com/1119572173/...8813981836833/
Old 06-24-2021, 12:42 PM   #18
montcalm
Mobster

I’ve done both - while esker is a cool side hike, I’d much rather deal with that short stretch of mud
Old 06-24-2021, 05:52 PM   #19
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Do not miss paddling the St Regis to Ochre section, pretty sure you'll enjoy it immensely.
Here's a link to some pics that include that section:

https://goo.gl/photos/JCNSWgEb6AJVaZUx8
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 09:29 PM   #20
elschap29

cool videos and pics. Will the St. Regis to Ochre section be paddle-able in August? I've heard water levels are low and I assume will get lower by then.