Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2022, 12:36 PM   #1
Jwojcik1990

Nelson Lake Pike Fishing Trip

Just got back from an amazing 4 nights and 5 days camping on the very shallow Nelson lake fishing for Northern Pike with some buddies. We caught quite a few nice fish between us all, had some great meals and some unforgettable memories. Almost all of my fish came in on a good old Mepps Spinner worked quickly just above the weeds. My buddies on the other hand seemed to catch almost all their Pike and Bass on the topwater. I made a ton of casts with the Whopper Plopper but only came up with one very nice Largemouth.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-7.jpg (71.5 KB, 286 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled-9.jpg (53.9 KB, 285 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (53.2 KB, 279 views)
File Type: jpg 20220602_060428.jpg (151.8 KB, 292 views)
File Type: jpg 20220602_093629.jpg (135.4 KB, 290 views)
File Type: jpg 20220602_200512.jpg (98.3 KB, 286 views)
File Type: jpg 20220603_192743.jpg (121.3 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg 20220603_100309.jpg (150.0 KB, 291 views)
File Type: jpg 20220603_200544.jpg (96.6 KB, 285 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled-4.jpg (44.3 KB, 281 views)
And death stalks in on the struggling crowd?
But he shuns the shadow of the oak and pine?
― George W. Sears Nessmuk, Woodcraft and Camping
Jwojcik1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 12:37 PM   #2
Jwojcik1990

A few more pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-2.jpg (79.4 KB, 289 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled-3.jpg (82.4 KB, 289 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled-5.jpg (51.9 KB, 279 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled-6.jpg (36.5 KB, 277 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled-8.jpg (87.0 KB, 280 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled-10.jpg (54.6 KB, 284 views)
Old 06-05-2022, 02:55 PM   #3
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Cool photos. Looks like a great trip.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 07:35 AM   #4
geogymn

Looks like a fun trip. How were the bugs?
Old 06-06-2022, 10:49 AM   #5
Swamp Booger

Oh man! You just had to go and identify the body of water you were on!!
My pictures:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/PT...=photos_albums
Swamp Booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 01:38 PM   #6
Jwojcik1990

@Swamp Booger, I am genuinely curious what you think naming this lake, in a post on this tiny forum is going to do? I am willing to bet 90 percent of the very few people that read this post will even remember the name of the lake, let alone visit it.

@Geogymn My buddies got swarmed pretty bad the first few days, but I think the weather conditions gave us a Blackfly break for the last two days.
Old 06-06-2022, 02:26 PM   #7
BobF

What a great looking trip - fish, weather, memories/laughs, lack of traffic, and lack of black flies.
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 02:28 PM   #8
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

I wondered where all those pike were hiding. I just read the name a minute ago and cannot remember it.
Old 06-06-2022, 06:57 PM   #9
Swamp Booger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwojcik1990 View Post
@Swamp Booger, I am genuinely curious what you think naming this lake, in a post on this tiny forum is going to do? I am willing to bet 90 percent of the very few people that read this post will even remember the name of the lake, let alone visit it.

Sorry, but this is not a "tiny forum" as it has almost 14,000 members, and that doesn't include all the lurkers. I'm sure that if the fish in your pics were trout, the reaction would be fast and furious. Just sayin'
My pictures:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/PT...=photos_albums
Swamp Booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 09:44 AM   #10
madison

Nice fish! I've been to Nelson a few times but had no idea there were pike in there. I've only ever caught Largemouth.

As for naming the lake- Nelson is hardly a secret. It's in Phil Brown's Paddling Guide and is also an often recommended trip at Mountain Man Outfitters less than 10 miles away in Old Forge. The mention here is a drop in the bucket compared to those two things.
madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 04:38 PM   #11
Jwojcik1990

I was really surprised by not just the number, but the size of the Pike we caught. They must be really well fed. I did not really know what to expect when we got there, especially with how shallow it was. I guess all those weeds covering it are the perfect environment for an ambush predator like that though.
Old 06-10-2022, 09:56 PM   #12
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Booger View Post
Sorry, but this is not a "tiny forum" as it has almost 14,000 members, and that doesn't include all the lurkers. I'm sure that if the fish in your pics were trout, the reaction would be fast and furious. Just sayin'
True, lots of "lurkers" here. Always have been. But knowing where and being able to catch lunkers can often be two different things. Generally speaking we don't mention places where we have had success in the past as perhaps it is not "good sportsmanship". JMO.
Old 06-11-2022, 09:21 AM   #13
adkfishing

Nice fish - looks like a great trip! Echoing what others have said I do not even tell my friends where I fish for the most part.
adkfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 01:59 PM   #14
Northcountryman

Beautiful Lake and nice fish!! Thanks for the pics
Old 06-12-2022, 09:08 AM   #15
Jwojcik1990

The only thing I love more than catching fish is putting others on nice fish. I love when one of my buddies comes back from a spot that I was slaying them at and they tell me that they did the same. When someone is having trouble catching fish and asks me where to go, I always point them to my best spots and try to give them the best chance they have and hope that someone would do the same for me in the future.
Old 06-14-2022, 10:32 AM   #16
Glen
Check please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwojcik1990 View Post
The only thing I love more than catching fish is putting others on nice fish. I love when one of my buddies comes back from a spot that I was slaying them at and they tell me that they did the same. When someone is having trouble catching fish and asks me where to go, I always point them to my best spots and try to give them the best chance they have and hope that someone would do the same for me in the future.
Well now you have 14,000 new friends!
“Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
― Cormac McCarthy
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 10:51 PM   #17
ADKpikebuster

Goodbye Nelson lake, usually what I do when I find a spot I like to fish is run to the internet and let the world know what and where I’m catching fish

I used to drink a lot. I still do...but I used to, too

http://youtu.be/DJH8iMb2YXk YEEFRICKINYEEE "
ADKpikebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 11:22 AM   #18
Glen
Check please

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKpikebuster View Post
Goodbye Nelson lake, usually what I do when I find a spot I like to fish is run to the internet and let the world know what and where I?m catching fish
They just don?t get it. His post would?ve been appreciated just for the story and the pictures. Naming the lake didn?t add anything to it at all. Guys like this are all over the place especially Facebook and YouTube.
“Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
― Cormac McCarthy
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 01:24 PM   #19
Creekwader
Snag Locator

I guess we shouldn't be surprised that the spot burning/oversharing crowd has finally descended upon the adk over past few years. The debate over this kind of behavior is nothing new in other parts of the country. Personally, I could care less if people want to blow in their favorite invasive species spots. The problem is, these folks as a group don't differentiate between pike fishing and wild brook trout, its all the same to them. Honestly I think they have more respect for pike than brook trout, given that I've never seen them kill a pike but they'll kill wild brook trout or gut hook them and let them flop around in the boat for 5 minutes before the ole 'he swam off fine' release. On top of all that, their videos are getting pretty stale with the same content over and over. Who wants to sit through an hour of banter at launch site, the journey to campsite, setting up camp, some fishing, cooking dinner, campfire, moon, breakfast cooking, crossover episode with another social media fake branding group, some fishing, bushcrafting, pack up, leave - rinse and repeat? I keep hoping for something exciting to happen like a bear stealing their food, an angry moose encounter, a pike yanking their fish pole into the lake, or sasquatch throwing rocks in the campsite but no such luck.
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 04:50 PM   #20
St.Regis

And bringing it back ttt to complain about it helps a lot. Y'all just added fuel and air to a all but dead fire...
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote