Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2011, 07:12 PM   #1
Buckshot

Street/nye & giant

My better half refuses to send me pictures from the trip. I will post them at a later date.

I hiked Nye and Street 2 weekends ago. The trail was pretty easy to follow. Two guys we talked to lost the trail for a bit, which cost them about an hour of backtracking.

We found some interesting old saws and what I believe is a cast iron stove. I would appreciate if someone could shed some light on what they are when I post pictures.

The stream was running high, and could not be crossed without removing my boots.

QUESTION: Street and Nye have multiple peaks, all marked on my natgeo map as being the same height. However, the trail only leads to the first of the 3 peaks on each mountain respectively. I tried to convince my hiking partner to bushwhack to the other peaks, telling her it wouldn't count to the "list" if we didn't. She wasn't having it. Who was right?!?! [of course I will tell her I was right even if I don't see my explanation supported by an answer]

Last weekend we hiked Giant. Giant is my new favorite mountain tied with Porter. What a great hike. Beautiful views on the way up, and you can see so much of the Keene Valley from the top.

I spoke with a man in a cotton shirt, wearing those sandals with the straps and white socks, and carrying less then a liter of water. He finished his 39th peak that day. Meanwhile I have 4 liters of water, all the tech sh!@ I can afford, and I am only on 10.

We saved RPR for another day. We will hike up from the route not often taking. I hope the views are just as impressive. Happy hiking!
Old 08-09-2011, 10:17 PM   #2
daLunartik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
QUESTION: Street and Nye have multiple peaks, all marked on my natgeo map as being the same height. However, the trail only leads to the first of the 3 peaks on each mountain respectively.
Yup. Which ones higher, well....the one with the marker is the one that "counts" toward the official "lists". And for what it worth, the person who maintains the markers/signs on Street and Nye has given an answer to the placement of those markers, along with the MacNaughton summit sign (a dual high point) of essentially "I could have been wrong, that's where I put it - go find a higher point".
Old 08-10-2011, 07:31 AM   #3
randomscooter
Native Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
I tried to convince my hiking partner to bushwhack to the other peaks, telling her it wouldn't count to the "list" if we didn't.
You can be sure that any peak required by the 46ers will have a very obvious path. Beyond that, you're doing it just for fun.

"Pushing the limits of easy."™
randomscooter is offline   Reply With Quote