Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > Forum News and Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2006, 09:55 AM   #261
Rookie
Dream Farmer

I'm bracing myself for a cyber-mugging !
Old 03-04-2006, 10:22 AM   #262
Judgeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie
I'm bracing myself for a cyber-mugging !
You've heard what happened to Custer and his 7th Cav.?
Judgeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 10:27 AM   #263
Kevin
**BANNED**

Quote:
Thereís a whole bunch of you that have impressed me with your knowledge, writing, sense of humor, energy, tolerance
and adventurous spirit. Looking forward to meeting all of you.
Feeling is mutual, and in 48 hours we'll be carving our way up the side of Giant together. Weather is looking cooperative too!
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 12:58 PM   #264
Little Rickie

[QUOTE=Rookie]My turn--

Iím going to be 52 on my next birthdayÖÖwhy now ?

53 is a good age too.

The most important thing Iíve ever done (and am still doing) is raising kids

I agree and it's a good reason to get out of the house and go for a hike as well.

Where is Boston Hills in wester New York? I can't find it on a Google search.

Little Rickie
Little Rickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 07:13 PM   #265
Jeff023

I'm Jeff, always somewhere between the mountains and the sea:)

Hi All--

I'm 52, a college professor, and I live in Clinton, CT. I grew up in a rural part of southern NJ (yes there was a rural part--much less of it now). My father was an avid fisherman and took me along on flyfishing and surfcasting trips. Learned to paddle a canoe in the Pine Barrens and the upper Delaware river. Just loved Scudder's falls We spent summers at the shore (Long Beach Island), where I learned to surf. Well, sort of. It was New Jersey after all. I've surfed on and off all my life, even took a couple of trips--one to Hawaii and one to Costa Rica. In Hawaii I waited for the waves to go down so that I could ride them. A buddy who went with me used to yell "Surf's Down! Let's hit it!"). Right now I'm in the torturous but worthwhile process (for me, anyway) of making a comeback as an old walrus-looking surfer. I've also been a lifeguard and an outdoors trip leader for a couple of summer camps, did some rock climbing (never very well, but I enjoyed it), and even helped instruct the AMC's mountain leadership school a couple of times back in the early 80's. Had some wild times and youthful indiscretions in the Presidentials and the Mahoosuc range.

I started hunting in my thirties and have never entirely stopped, although there were a few years when I couldn't get out much because of work. I have a boat and do quite a bit of fishing in Long Island Sound, which is a five-minute walk from my house. Same with duck hunting, and I usually take a short trip to Maine every year to hunt deer. Last fall the outfitter who owned the lodge I'd been using decided to quit the business--he fell out of a tree stand--so I looked around for another lodge & outfitter and found what looks like a pretty good operation in North River. Hence my good luck in finding this board.

I'm thinking of packing up my little family of three (I have a two-year old son) and taking a trip to the Adirondacks this summer to look over the place I'll be hunting and maybe wet a fly or two.

I'm happy to report I'm not an expert at anything to do with the outdoors. I just like getting out when I can and being good enough at a given activity to be safe, both for myself and others.

I've learned some great info from being here already--especially about map software for my GPS. My very best to all

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff023; 03-11-2006 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: typos
Jeff023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 01:27 PM   #266
Rookie
Dream Farmer

Jeff023- Howdy !
You've had a rich life !
Another 52 year old !.. (me,little rickie,you).....March must be "old guys month" !!
When the dry flies stop working...try a salamander. We did this on the Ausable many years ago and it was like magic.
Old 03-14-2006, 03:50 PM   #267
kwc
loser

Quote:
Jeff023- Howdy !
You've had a rich life !
Another 52 year old !.. (me,little rickie,you).....March must be "old guys month" !!
Oh you silly kids.

Once a year, go some where you've never been before.
kwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 06:33 PM   #268
Little Rickie

[QUOTE=Rookie]Jeff023- Howdy !
You've had a rich life !

Yep..must be old guys month. This and every month. This forum can use more of us old guys. I'm old & slow but young at heart.

Little old Rickie
Old 03-14-2006, 06:43 PM   #269
Dick
somewhere out there...

[QUOTE=Little Rickie]
Quote:
Jeff023- Howdy !
You've had a rich life !

Yep..must be old guys month. This and every month. This forum can use more of us old guys. I'm old & slow but young at heart.

Little old Rickie
52??? Babes in the woods! I'll be 60 in June...and there are older ones here!

Dick (who's still trying to figure out what he's going to be when he grows up)
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 07:23 PM   #270
Little Rickie

I hope, plan & pray I'm still hiking at 60 Plus!, Plus!!, Plus!!!.

You folks with more life experience are inspiration to me and can probably walk me into the ground. I'd love to hear more from all of you.

Little Rickie
Old 03-15-2006, 01:22 PM   #271
Rookie
Dream Farmer

When Dick turns 90, we should start a spin off of this forum called "Adirondack Memories" and take turns telling (wildly exagerated) stories.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:41 AM   #272
Jeff023

I figure on being outdoors as long as I can walk, or until they lock all the doors to keep me from wandering off Absolutely the finest memories of my life are connected with outdoors stuff. On my deathbed, it won't matter much about money, property, etc. But I bet it'll matter a great deal about sunrises I've seen while fishing and twilight I've enjoyed walking in from a hunt. Don't you guys agree?
Jeff023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 02:33 PM   #273
heff

Hey all, new to the board as of today.

A smallmouth fishermen at heart who has found paddling as a way to reach new waters to fish. As a result, I, and my girlfriend have several kayaks, a cataraft and a ww raft. I've paddled almost all rivers on the mid-atlantic in search of smallmouth and whitewater. Being fairly new to the big whitewater, this year will be my first trip through the New River Gorge as a leader, not just a paddler. My girlfriend is celebrating her 1-year anniversary as a kayak owner this summer. She has improved leaps and bounds and also enjoys chasing smallmouth via the yak.

Paddling has given my the ability to find places in Central PA I didn't know were here. Secluded backwater areas off some creeks, mountain streams during stormwater run-off events, hidden camp sites in the middle of our mile-wide, foot-deep river (susquehanna).

A friend of mine, and his wife both work the ANC and live up in that area. He's been telling me about the Adirondacks, I'm looking forward to learning more about the area during a 5-day "camp-n the back of the truck on the side of the road, paddle in and out of small lakes, up and down small creeks, fishing for smallies, and hopefully getting lost in the woods, without others around" vacation over the 4th of July trip.

Been lurking ove rthe site most of the day and it's refreshing to see the friendliness this site has shown to one another.
So hey all, look forward to visiting this site and the adirondacks.
heff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 07:11 PM   #274
Hakuna Matada

Jeff023,
I have to agree with you 100%. I've been sick this past year and spent a lot of time in hospital settings and recovering at home and the only thing that kept me going was to draw from past experiences hiking and kayaking. I even found a nurse that was working on her 46 so we could talk mountains. If I didn't have the goal of getting back to what I love I don't know what I would use for incentive. It's what I am not how much money or how much stuff I can accumulate in my life.
Hakuna Matada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 07:20 AM   #275
Iceman
Administrator

Hi my name is Brian and I do not know what I am addicted to more, winter hiking in the Dacks or these forums. This however is my first double-post. I have never lurked here but I did join all 3 forums at the same time. Although it took Darren a long time to set up my account on VFTT. I find the sheer size of that forum intimidating. Now that I have been a member here for two months, I thought that I should introduce myself. By trade I am an Analytical Chemist. I live and work in NJ. The pharmaceutical industry is like a big ball and chain that keeps me here. My house is a big money pit that prevents me from spending money on hiking gear and going on exotic vacations. When I go up to the Adirondacks its like I am escaping from a concrete jungle.

I did the Boy Scout thing too, here in NJ but did not learn a thing about hiking or camping from it so I dropped out. When I was a youngster my parents used to like to go to Lake George for a vacation. My first hike ever was solo up Black Mountain from the lake side. I did not start seriously hiking until I was in my 20ís. I have lead hikes for several clubs. When I started downhill skiing, winter became my favorite season. I tried cross-country skiing and discovered that you can cover a lot more ground on skis than on foot. I did the Catskill winter peaks in my 30ís. Now that I am in my 40ís I am doing the Adirondack winter peaks. Up next are the New Hampshire winter peaks. Those are going to be expensive weekends.

In addition to the winter peaks list I am also working on completing the AT by backpack one state at a time. Another project is the state highpoints and I do not cheat by driving to the top. I have been hiking with the ADK club so I have not met too many people on the forums yet. My favorite season to hike is the winter when I do not have to deal with biting flies, mosquitoes, ticks, snakes or bears. During what I consider the off-season I like to hike at night, less bugs. I run, do stairs, bike and lift weights to stay in shape. The downhill skiing destroyed most of the cartilage in my right knee so I can not run on pavement but grass and the trails seem to provide enough cushioning to allow me to continue running. I used to mountain bike on single track until I went over the handlebars, broke my elbow and screwed up my wrist. I guess you could say that I am accident prone! I have done some paddling but have not plunked down the money for a kayak yet. I tried caving, it was like rock climbing in the rain at night, very intense. Prior to caving, I had only climbed at the Rock Gym. Two things that I donít do are hunt or fish. I have been keeping a journal since I started hiking in the Dacks for the past two winters. I now have over 200 pages of my misadventures. I started the journal so that I could still have fond memories when I am old and feeble.
Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 11:42 AM   #276
46erJim

I'm 61, retired from the NYS DOL and a passionate photographer. The Adirondacks are my favorite subject. I have a web site at www.jimbullard.org with a hiking sub-domain at hiking.jimbullard.org.

I'm a Fine Arts graduate of SUNY New Paltz. I'm married, have 2 grown children.

I live North of the Park near Potsdam but grew up on the Tug Hill Plateau near Barnes Corners where I learned to love the outdoors while exploring Inman Gulf which was 'in my backyard'. I finished the 46 thirteen years ago, have planned to thru-hike the NPT for the last 3 years but *things* kept disrupting my plans. Hopefully this will be the magic year and next year I want to start section hiking the AT.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:52 PM   #277
Hakuna Matada

46erJim,
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your 46er status. Something I am still working on. Inman Gulf is my backyard. I live in Watertown but we spend much of our time at Inman Gulf. Many people who live here don't know it even exits.
Hakuna Matada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 07:02 AM   #278
Kevin
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman
When I go up to the Adirondacks its like I am escaping from a concrete jungle.
There's no doubt you're fleeing the conrete jungle when heading to the adirondacks. It's part of the charm of having such a wonderful wilderness a car ride away.

Although Albany is a smaller city than many in the metro area, I felt the same way for the 3 years I lived there and was actively hiking. Now I live in the suburbs east of Albany, rural enough that we have wild birds at the feeder and turkeys walking through the yard. Dog and cat run free without fear of being stolen, shot, or tortured. There's a fire pit in the back yard that makes for a brief escape to a fantasy lean-to/campout. If I build the flames high enough I forget there's even a house nearby .

I've been toying with the idea of moving north but have yet to find steady enough employment up there for computer technicians. It's a small dream, and for now I do the 2 hour escape northward each weekend.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 12:34 AM   #279
hikeswithcatahoulas
That'll Do

Introduction

Hi, newbie here. I found this forum through Adirondack Journey. Here's a little about myself - I'm 26 and was introduced to ADK through my father; became a yearly tradition. I've since Married and moved on.

I'm a Veterinary Assistant, am owned by 9 furry and feathered kids, and LOVE the outdoors! www.MarbleandNougat.com

I haven't seen or heard from my father in almost 8 years he had a midlife crisis (bought a juicer, became a vegetarian, bought a Harley, sold the house, found a girl friend and asked my mom for a divorce)... haven't heard from him since. However, I'll always have his love of hiking, kayaking, backpacking, and especially ADK.

So this year I'm starting my own family tradition....I planned a trip to Marcy dam (end of May - beginning of June) for hubby and me and our 'houla hounds. I can't wait to return to ADK and share this wonderful experience with my husband.

Look forward to meeting everyone!

"In moments of joy, all of us wished we possessed, a tail we could wag."
hikeswithcatahoulas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 07:19 AM   #280
Dick
somewhere out there...

Welcome to the forum! That's quite a menagerie you've got there!
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote