Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2016, 09:29 AM   #1
OttawaHiker

Mid-November Nippletop and Dial

Hi, I am planning a hiking trip in mid-November with friends. We will most likely do Nippletop and Dial. I have micro-spikes and will bring them... but my friends don't.

Do you think they are necessary at that time of year? If so, do you know where we can rent them? Not sure how much hiking they will be doing, so it is a bit expensive for a one time hike...

Thanks!
OttawaHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 10:47 AM   #2
TCD

Of course no one can predict the weather or the conditions. But Mid-November might be dry; or more likely, it might be full on winter.

If I were planning the trip, I would say traction will certainly be required (must have it and carry it); snowshoes MAY be required.

Not sure where to rent microspikes; they are more delicate than crampons, and I'm not sure if a lot of places rent them. Maybe ADK at the Loj?
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 01:03 PM   #3
jkauff73

High Peaks Information Center rents them. Several years ago, the fee was $10/day.
jkauff73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 06:24 PM   #4
gebbyfish

In mid-November, pretty much a guarantee you are going to need traction. I remember doing Wright and Algonquin last October and needing them and seeing others who had hiked almost all the way to the top who had to turn around because they didn't have them!
gebbyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 11:21 AM   #5
tenderfoot

Yes, getting far and than being slowed down or having to turn back would be tough. High Peaks Info Center at Loj rents them but depending on size of group you may not have enough. Aside from the more popular Kahtoola brand I purchased Hillsound for slightly less money and they have been good. Make sure your traction is spikes, I do not think the coil version for commuters would work well.

Your local EMS shop may have them? I know they rent some gear.

We have used ours twice - Nov & April. Happy to have them both times.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:53 AM   #6
AvalanchePass

HPIC Gear Rentals

MICROspikes (very limited quantity) - $15
AvalanchePass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 03:24 PM   #7
cpoit

Amazon has them for $19.95.
cpoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 03:35 PM   #8
Neil
Admin

I wouldn't dream of going hiking in the high peaks in November without trail crampons. Snowshoes might be the tool of choice the day you go but odds are it will be spikes. The iciest and steepest bit will be the east side of Bear Den.

I took non-hiking friends on a trip to the Dacks in November and I made them all get spikes. Pretty funny going up Big Slide via the Bros. watching them pull the shiny new boxes out of their packs. Made me think of "Into Thin Air".