Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2016, 11:51 AM   #1
pennyanmurph

Inflatable Pillows?

I'm starting to plan some camping trips for this year and am looking for a better alternative to my current backpacking pillow (extra clothes stuffed into my sleeping bag sack.) Does anybody use an inflatable pillow that they like? Or any other options that you might have found? Thanks!!
pennyanmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 12:43 PM   #2
bmike-vt

I have the Sea to Summit one... love it.

http://www.seatosummit.com/product/?...o2=0&o3=572-30

I used a Klymit inflatable 'seat' that doubled as a pillow when folded over, but wasn't good for me (I'm a side sleeper) - and it was noisy.
bmike-vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 01:11 PM   #3
WNYakker

I second the S to S pillow.....Packs to the size of a baseball.....weighs nothing and takes seconds to blow up or deflate......I use it any time we travel.....Even in Hotel rooms.....

Phil
Old 02-23-2016, 05:15 PM   #4
Hard Scrabble

I just roll up my outer shell.
Sleep like a baby.
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:47 PM   #5
MrKawfey

I've been using the exped pillow for a few years and so far it's the best I have tried. That's compared to clothes rolled our stuffed in various ways, the big Agnes air pillow and a couple of different compressible pillows. I also upgraded to the nemo pad last year which has a "pillow" built in. It's basically just a larger tube at the head.

I'm a side sleeper and really need a pillow. The issue for me has been keeping it on the pad and not having a restless night trying to fiddle with it. The nemo pad helps a lot because it keeps any pillow from going off the end.

I'm am seriously lusting after the sea-to-summit pillow though
MrKawfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:00 PM   #6
geogymn

I usually bring a box a wine, drink the wine, blow up the empty bladder and use that as a pillow. Sleep like a baby, pillow optional.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:55 PM   #7
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

I also use my stuff sack and clothes, but add in my down vest. It's pretty comfy. I have also used my PFD as a pillow.
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:38 PM   #8
fvrwld

I once used an old thermarest pillow case that I would stuff with clothes and a down jacket. Unfortunately, I developed some neck issues which necessitated a more consistently supportive pillow. I got an Exped pillow several years ago and still love it. It is very comfortable and also makes a great travel pillow during plane flights.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:08 PM   #9
dundee

I can't remember the name of the pillow, but I used to get them at Campmor. They were a silver bag that you would blow up and then slide into a padded fleece pillowcase. They were great until the seams on the bag would split. I bought another and the same thing happened. Now I just stuff a couple of t-shirts into the padded pillowcase and go that way.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 02:18 PM   #10
MrKawfey

Has anyone come up with a good way of securing a pillow to your sleeping pad?
MrKawfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:25 PM   #11
desmobob
Old, tired.

I tried some of the inexpensive, disposable medical inflatable pillows. They're OK, but not much of an improvement over the good ol' extra-clothes-in-a-stuffsack method (I have a purpose-made stuff sack that has a fleece lining on one side, made to be stuffed and used as a pillow). I also purchased a compactable camping pillow (can't recall the brand offhand) that is very comfortable, but still a little bulky for my taste.

It comes down to the classic backpacking problem: how much comfort you want to bring versus how much you want to carry!

Take it easy,
Bob
desmobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:40 PM   #12
pennyanmurph

Thanks for the great replies! I'll probably try the Exped or the Sea to Summit, they actually look pretty comfortable.
pennyanmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 08:53 PM   #13
Pauly D.

Before I switched to a hammock tent I used a Nemo Fillo. It is very comfortable and packable.
Pauly D. is offline   Reply With Quote