Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2015, 07:22 PM   #1
Bucknut
46er #7721

WD's Country Store in Newcomb destroyed by fire 3/21/15

Just a heads up if anyone was thinking of stopping at this establishment for food/supplies. This was the last grocery convenient store left in Newcomb since old man Bissell's store closed 3 years ago after he died.
The serenity of a clear blue mountain lake" -John Denver
Bucknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 08:00 AM   #2
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Oh, those poor folks...we made it a habit to stop in and grab something, anything, each time we passed by, to help support them.
It looked like they were doing OK and Newcomb was better for it.
Tough break, do you know if they'll rebuild?
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:39 AM   #3
Cold River Bob
Bob in the Sewards

We always stop every time we went by.
Cold River Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:18 AM   #4
BillyGr

Maybe they could take over the spot of the store that closed 3 years back? Probably quicker than rebuilding (or at least as a temporary spot).
BillyGr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:37 PM   #5
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyGr View Post
Maybe they could take over the spot of the store that closed 3 years back? Probably quicker than rebuilding (or at least as a temporary spot).
Are you talking about Bissel's?
That property is now severely run down, if it was me I'd rather start with a new foundation...

On a side note, that dude Bissel was a deer hunting legend, not to mention the coolest sideburns I ever saw. I have an old E R Wallace guidebook that refers to Bissel's as a land mark for Hudson river travels, I suppose that was his family from 1878!! Man, if those walls could talk.
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:00 PM   #6
peskypup

Full story here: http://www.pressrepublican.com/news/...147b9929c.html
peskypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 12:25 PM   #7
BillyGr

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
Are you talking about Bissel's?
That property is now severely run down, if it was me I'd rather start with a new foundation...

On a side note, that dude Bissel was a deer hunting legend, not to mention the coolest sideburns I ever saw. I have an old E R Wallace guidebook that refers to Bissel's as a land mark for Hudson river travels, I suppose that was his family from 1878!! Man, if those walls could talk.
Not familiar with the property, so just thinking it might be an option for something temporary while the regular site was rebuilt, having been a store and occupied until a couple years ago per other postings.

Or maybe they could pull a Grand Union and set up a tent for the warmer weather (as GU did in Bolton years ago when the store had a fire).
BillyGr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:30 PM   #8
Bucknut
46er #7721

Yeah, it's unfortunate. It was a beautiful 3 year old building. Newcomb now only has the High Peaks cafe, which is a damn good restaurant I would recommend and the Newcomb House bar.

Bissell was a character! The side burns were classic, but I loved seeing him in this 80's fish net short sleeved muscle shirt he wore quite often.

Does anyone know what happened to his inventory? He had pretty much everything you would need in there.
The serenity of a clear blue mountain lake" -John Denver
Bucknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:22 PM   #9
Alpine1

There will be a fundraiser on Sunday the 29th starting at 12 Noon at the Newcomb House. $10 min donation at the door. Live auction, raffles and live music by Fat Dog.
Direct donations can be made by sending a check to: Kevin Bolan, 4 Santanoni Drive, Newcomb, NY 12852-1913 ATT: Disaster Relief, or you may leave a check or items at the Newcomb Medical Center.
Alpine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:45 PM   #10
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

I'm sorry to hear about it and I hope they will fins a way to stay and rebuild. I never knew the store was there since I came in by bicycle from the Long Lake end the two times I went to Santanoni and by the time I got to the turnoff I was so glad to get off the pavement with the giant cracks that I didn't want to go any further and see if there was more to Newcomb.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 02:57 PM   #11
cityboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
I'm sorry to hear about it and I hope they will fins a way to stay and rebuild. I never knew the store was there since I came in by bicycle from the Long Lake end the two times I went to Santanoni and by the time I got to the turnoff I was so glad to get off the pavement with the giant cracks that I didn't want to go any further and see if there was more to Newcomb.
Zach
You got that right! I've been biking in that area for 20 years and have a choice of going towards Newcomb or Long Lake. I always choose Long Lake because the Newcomb end of 28N was terrible. They fixed it last Fall it's pretty good now.

Very sorry about that store. Last fall I stopped in an that stove was hotter than hell. Hope that wasn't the cause.

Here's hoping they decide to rebuild. It was a good addition to Newcomb.
cityboy is offline   Reply With Quote