Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2015, 04:14 PM   #1
ADKpondhopper
FishyH2OSeeker

Question Cellphone receception in and around Speculator

I was wondering if anybody could tell me about cell reception in and around Speculator besides Verizon Wireless? After six years with that carrier I am fed up with their inflated prices. My wife and I need to stay in touch with the kids while at camp, so first hand experiences would be appreciated. I have looked at other carriers who claim to have service in this area but figured feed back from folks here would aid in making the right choice. Thanks.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:11 PM   #2
wellsley

verizon and trac phones work. Don't know about att
wellsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 07:36 PM   #3
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellsley View Post
verizon and trac phones work. Don't know about att
Note, as I understood it (as of a couple of years ago), Tracfone may use either AT&T or Verizon, depending on which service is available according to the zip code you entered when you signed up for a Tracfone, and that service is locked into the particular phone you select. Tracfone will default to AT&T when they have a choice, presumably it is cheaper for them. If you want to be sure you get one particular service or the other from Tracfone, then when you select a phone you simply have to claim that you will be operating in a zip code area that only has the service you prefer (regardless of your home address zip).
Old 02-02-2015, 09:37 AM   #4
Alpine1

For work i use Verizon. My personal phone is AT&T. I work in that area often enough to know that Verizon works better than AT&T hands down. Besides the North Creek/North River area Verizon does have better coverage through out the park.
Alpine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:18 PM   #5
ADKpondhopper
FishyH2OSeeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine1 View Post
My personal phone is AT&T. I work in that area often enough to know that Verizon works better than AT&T hands down
That was what I was afraid of,switching from my existing carrier that has great service coverage,and ending up with poor or no service. So I guess I have to justify paying a premium price for convenience and availability...Thanks for the input.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:24 PM   #6

As mentioned trac-phone as well as net 1- 10 both can use verizon , just make sure of the zip code you program in .
That way you can change over to whatever carrier you want for the majority of the time and just use the pre-paid phone when at camp

“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.” —Herbert Spencer

1894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 04:32 PM   #7
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

With tracfone, you do need to buy more minutes after a set period of time (usually 3 months), even if you still have minutes left on the phone. Something to keep in mind when calculating if it is worth it to have a pre-paid phone as a backup.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 05:01 PM   #8
ADKpondhopper
FishyH2OSeeker

I am really looking to have just one provider for service, it's just easier to manage with five phones on our plan. I guess what it comes down to is cost of convenience,I see other companies offering packages at half the cost of our current plan but if I don't have service in areas I frequent then what's the sense of switching? It is a solid piece of mind to know that I can be reached. Guess I just have to suck it up and pay Verizon's lofty price tag. Thanks for the input.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:10 PM   #9
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

With Tracfone, I am able to get minutes, texting, and data for about a third to a half of the cost of what I was paying Verizon for just minutes. Your mileage may vary on this, of course- the cheapest option is certainly dependent on how much of each you use per month.

I believe my Tracfone is on the Verizon network- I certainly didn't notice any change in coverage when I made the switch, at least.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 06:16 PM   #10
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

I have a Verizon tracfone, they used to cost around $10 for the phone, not sure what they are now. Card for 3 months costs $20 on eBay or a bit less, can't remember how many minutes it has. One year service card with 400 minutes is around $85. Double minutes for the life of the phone card is around $20 if I recall right. I rarely use my phone as it has poor service where I live, but it is handy in the Adirondacks or when I go into town around here. This is the only cell I have ever had, I would be just as well off with pay phones but they are getting thin on the ground anymore and the tracfone is the cheapest way to still be able to call when I'm out and about.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:46 AM   #11
Troy64

I had a Verizon phone for years, but also got fed up with paying extremely high prices. My family switched to Ting (https://z76ran2o967.ting.com/) which is on the Sprint Network.

For three smartphones, Verizon service was about $145/month.

On Ting, my max monthly bill has been $45.

Service coverage is not as good on the Sprint network, but it has been good enough for me.

I would investigate Sprint coverage in your area. However, the tracfone is another great option.
Troy64 is offline   Reply With Quote