Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2012, 12:50 PM   #1
Josh Seeley

Short day hike, late Oct, High Peaks Region

Hello All,

We would like to do a fairy short, yet rewarding day hike in the High Peaks area this weekend (10/27). We've done many of peaks, including the shorter ones like Cascade, Porter, Giant, Tabletop, etc. etc. We've also done other short hikes such as Pitchoff Mt, Noonmark, Avalanche Pass, etc.

We're celebrating our anniversary this weekend and my wife has made me promise that I won't keep her on the trail all day for one of our 10+ mile day-hikes. Something tells me she is thinking of post-hike shopping in Lake Placid. Maybe I can talk her into sinking post-hike pints of Ubu instead...

Anyway, do you have any opinions regarding the possibilities below?

- East Dix via slide climb (from N. Fork Bouquet on 73) and back to car on 73.
- Indian Head / Fish Hawk Cliffs
- Wallface Cliffs
- Hurricane Mountain

Any other suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks!
Josh

P.S. Also, what is your favorite place to eat in the Lake Placid area? For casual dining and decent drinks, we of course like the LPP&B and Lisa G's. Do you have any other faves?

Last edited by Josh Seeley; 10-22-2012 at 12:51 PM.. Reason: typo in title
Josh Seeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:59 PM   #2
Josh Seeley

I just realized I posted this to the wrong topic. It should really be in the hiking section. I'll post it there. Thanks.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:03 PM   #3
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I wouldn't worry about reposting it, the thread will get moved to where it needs to be by an admin when they see it.

East Dix via the slide isn't going to be the short hike your wife is looking for.

Indian Head and Indian Pass are both nice hikes, but the last hike you suggested- Hurricane- is the best of your options. Not too long/hard a hike, and the views are killer (better than the views from many High Peaks even).

There might be a need for traction, however. Hurricane isn't has high up in elevation, but it's still a decent height. I'd pay close attention to trip reports before your hike (if there are some that have been recently posted). You'd unlikely need anything like full crampons, but microspikes aren't a bad investment. Even if you don't need them on this hike, you'll be glad you have them sooner or later on a future hike in late fall for sure.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:48 PM   #4
Josh Seeley

Thanks for the info on the re-posting. I forgot just how good the ADK Forum crew really is. Thanks for everything!

Good thought on the traction. This time of year, ya never know. I've got a set of those Katooha Microspikes so I'll be sure to bring those along. I think mi wife has Yaktrax Sports so we'll pack those too. We have never done Hurricane so it sounds like a go. I like the sound of not too long, killer views etc. Since we're staying near Lake Placid, the location is good too. I've been meaning to scout the Hurrican Mt area anyway for future hiking/camping endeavours. I hear Hurricane is a good hike for kids too.

Are there any others that come to mind? Or would you still say Hurricane sounds like the right one?

As long as I'm being a pest, what about the restaurant question? Any suggestions? (I am usually eating re-hydrated Pad Thai or Mac-n-Cheese so just the thought of being in a restaurant in that area is thrilling! Do I need to boil water?!)
Old 10-22-2012, 04:59 PM   #5
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Other peaks that immediately come to mind that fit your criteria (not too long, great views from the summit) are Noonmark or Cascade/Porter. These peaks are steep, but not too long. Given how steep the trails are, traction devices are probably even more warranted on these peaks.

IMO, though, Hurricane is a great choice that you won't regret. If you do it from the north, there is a nice little lean-to at Gulf Brook (although my understanding is that this lean-to is slated to be removed at some point in the future- likely when it falls into disrepair).

As for food, the Placid Pub and Brewery is a great option right in Lake Placid itself. The Noonmark Diner in Keene is another worthwhile place for food.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:49 PM   #6
TCD

These threads may be useful:

http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=15039

http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.p...e+meal&page=13

Have fun!
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:19 PM   #7
CP1005

Ampersand

Have you done ampersand? Gorgeous 360 view on top.
CP1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:40 PM   #8
rickhart

If you want a shorter hike, near to Lake Placid, you might also consider Haystack (not the Great Range one) -- trailhead right on Rte 86 in Ray Brook, great views at the top. Or slightly longer & higher, nearby, McKenzie. Either would be convenient for a part-day hike followed by Lake Placid time. Ampersand also great though a bit further away.
rickhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:58 AM   #9
Woods Elf

A great hike is the new re-route of Jay Mt. You can make it a short hike and just go to the summit or make it a longer hike by doing the whole ridge line. Either option offers spectacular views and the new trail is beautifully laid out. My favorite hot spots for a romantic dinner/drinks are Liquids and Solids, The Cottage, or The Farmhouse. Enjoy and happy anniversary!
Old 10-23-2012, 12:27 PM   #10
Josh Seeley

You guys are the best! The ADK Forum is the best!!! Thanks to all.

Yes, we've done Ampersand. I agree.. great moderate hike, very rewarding!

Based on these suggestions, I think either Haystack or McKenzie (off of 86) sound like the one for us. I look forward to the views from this part of the ADKs. We have little experience west of Lake Placid anyway. Unless you count Colorado, Montana, Wyoming and Oregon! (joke) The trail sounds great, the summit even better, and I like that it's between Saranac and Placid. This offers us more options after the hike.

Hurricane Mt. sounds pretty awesome too, but since it's closer to our home (sort of...) we'll be able to return and do this one later on. We would actually like to do Hurricane in the winter. Anyone have a preference on the summit approach? From... the North (Keene) v. Route 9N

I'll have to look into Jay Mt too. The new route sounds interesting, especially with the ridge line.

Ok, so for food... You've sparked my appetite! We've been to the Cottage at the Mirror Lake Inn and while it was good, we probably don't need to go back. We'll probably check out The Farmhouse or Liquids and Solids. We've never been to eiother one and both sound great!!!
Old 10-23-2012, 12:44 PM   #11
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Seeley View Post
Based on these suggestions, I think either Haystack or McKenzie (off of 86) sound like the one for us. I look forward to the views from this part of the ADKs. We have little experience west of Lake Placid anyway. Unless you count Colorado, Montana, Wyoming and Oregon! (joke) The trail sounds great, the summit even better, and I like that it's between Saranac and Placid. This offers us more options after the hike.
Haystack definitely has better views than McKenzie. It's got a somewhat open summit, with a panoramic view to the south of the High Peaks. McKenzie has some views, but they aren't as expansive.

Most people hike Haystack from the Ray Brook trailhead. There's a small dam and pond near the base of the mountain that is a pretty neat area to stop and take a break. You'll reach it about 200 feet after leaving the McKenzie Mountain trail and starting down the Haystack trail.

The last climb to the summit of Haystack is quite steep. If you want an easier return, you can bushwhack northeast off of the summit along the ridge. It's a fairly easy bushwhack, with lots of open woods (in fact enough people go this route that there's a bit of a herd path). After about a half mile, you'll hit the Jackrabbit trail. You can turn east, and soon you'll be at the junction with the McKenzie Mountain trail, which you can take back to the trailhead.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:41 PM   #12
PA Ridgerunner
Just a hiker...

Sounds like you've decided, but for future reference check out Hopkins Mtn. About a 6 mile RT, with around 2K elevation gain. Beautiful open ledges at summit with a view straight down the Ausable valley. As others have said, LPPB is good for food and drink in Placid. I really like the Ausable Inn in Keene Valley, as well. Have fun!

Rule #6: Don't take yourself so G.D. seriously. There are no other rules. - Zander
PA Ridgerunner is offline   Reply With Quote